XBMCbuntu doesn't boot after install.
Sad 
Hello. First of all, I am very new to all of this. I don't know much about Linux and this is the first time I've tried to set up a media center PC.

I've got a brand new PC with 2 new 3tb hard drives. The idea was to install XBMCbuntu 12.0 and use it as a media center, with all of that extra space used as storage. I put XBMCbuntu onto a disk and tried it out before installing. Everything worked fine. So I installed it and everything seemed to go smoothly, but after instillation was completed and the computer rebooted, I just got the message saying that there were no bootable devices.

I've looked in the bios to see if there was something I needed to fix in the boot order, but nothing I do makes it work. I've tried installing on both hard drives, and I've tried with having just one hooked up at a time. I've tried all sorts of downloadable boot disks and rescue disks and the like, but I still can't get XBMCbuntu to boot. I've installed Windows just to see that something will boot, and it does, but I don't want Windows on this machine.

I can get it to boot if I keep the XBMCbuntu disk in and press F6 while it's loading, then select to boot from the HD. So I know that it installed properly and that it was working on there. I just don;t know how to make this computer boot it up when it powers on.

I've wiped the hard drives and I'm ready to start anew, but I figured this time I'd ask for some expertise. I'm not inexperienced with computers, but when it comes to Linux and this kind of stuff, it's pretty much all new to me. I could really use some simple, step by step help to get this machine to boot.

Thanks for your time.
Welcome.

You posted a description but no info that can help anyone help you, see http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=34655 comply and try again.

Likely this is video driver related but with your post being so vague you will have nothing useful from anyone who may be able to help.

uNi
It's a 64 bit system. Intel processor, Nvidia graphics card. 8 GB ram. That's all I can tell you. I did not assemble the PC, but it's mostly made from all new components.
Version is 12.0
There is no debug log as it does not boot.

I was as specific as I possibly could be. Again, this is new to me. I don't know what I am supposed to do to tell my computer to boot XBMC after installing, or if that is supposed to happen automatically.

How do you figure it being a video driver issue?
SO you are using the XBMCbuntu intel-nvidia.iso right? If so have a looks ta this

XBMC_for_Linux_specific_FAQ#Boot_issues (wiki)

During boot press shift until you get a grub menu
Press "e" to edit grub
Goto grub line and add the i915.i915_enable_rc6=0 and press entter

System will boot and then you can make that fix permanent.

case closed.

Its been talked to death on forums too, have a look around thers other solutions but this is simplest.

uNi
I am not really sure if I am doing this correctly. I've tried to follow those instructions but upon rebooting it's still telling me there is no bootable device.

I need something explained in more simple, step by step fashion. Please assume that I know nothing about grub or linux or any of that stuff. Because I don't.

Perhaps issues like this have been discussed before, but I've been searching for a solution for 2 weeks and havne't come up with anything, so if an easy to understand answer is out there it certainly has yet to present itself to me.

Sayonara.
So is this "no bootable device" at the post stage, or what?

Sounds like the MBR did not get written properly. Is this a UEFI bios?
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
If by "post stage" you mean after the install, yes. It installed but won't boot.

There is a "UEFI boot" setting in the bios. I don't know what that means exactly, but I've come across mention of it in my searches for a solution. It does not seem to make a difference if that setting is enabled or disabled.

Right now I have UEFI boot disabled and I have the i915.i915_enable_rc6=0 business appended in my grub. Still no boot device found.
I might be a tad late for this fix, I had a similar issue where I have installed iso xbmcbuntu-12.2.Intel-NVIDIA.iso (modified 03-May-2013) and once I reboot the computer just comes up with a blinking cursor constantly (will not boot or show grub or xbmcbuntu). I did also try to reinstall the program to no avail.

From here I figured must be something gone honorably wrong with grub.

However this Grub repair too from How To Geek actually came in handy and fix the corrupt grub and booted in to xbmcbuntu
http://www.howtogeek.com/114884/how-to-r...wont-boot/

My Specs are:

1 Intel Core i5 3570 LGA1155 CPU 3.4Ghz 6Mb Cache Ivy Bridge
1 Crucial RealSSD 120G mSATA3 M4 Series
1 Corsair 8GB (2x4GB) CMZ8GX3M2A1600C9B DDR3 1600MHz CL9 Unbuffered DIMM Memory for AMD, Intel Dual Ch
1 AverMedia H727 is Hybrid PCI-E TV Tuner Card with HDMI/Component/Composite/S-Video Input
1 Asrock Z77-EXTREME4 Z77/4 x DDR3/2 x PCI-E3.0/4 x SATA3/6 x USB3.0/HDMI/D

NOTE: I have no NVIDIA CARD... but using the Nvidia build.
Actually, the issue was that I had installed onto a 3TB HD, and Linux does not play nice with anything more that 2TB.

I mentioned that I was using 3TB drives in my first post, yet I was sent in the wrong direction still told to go through all sorts of other nonsense to try and fix this. Of course, this information is not explicitly stated anywhere that I would call easy to find, which I'd say is a flaw in regards to this software.

I switched to a 60GB SSD for the install and got it working fine, except that I still couldn't get the 3TB HDs to work at all. I understand that there is some kind of voodoo one can do to make the 3TB drives work and then more voodoo to make the shareable on the network, but the info I found did not work and was likley out of date. Another issue.

So I switched to Windows. Whatever, man.

Sayonara.
yada yada yada. Sorry we tried to help. You'll be better off on your own than with the f*wits here. Good luck.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
FYI Windows can't boot from a 3TB drive either as far as I know.
linux can, given that you partition it properly

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
XBMCbuntu doesn't boot after install.0