Win Freshly installed 12.0, some add-ons issues and some settings not saved
Question 
Hello to everybody, I'll try to be concise here. Keeping in mind that:
  • I have configured XBMC on my home theater (and other home PCs) such that it stores and retrive data about movies on a MySQL database located on my network AD server -> this works fine
  • XBMC has to work within windows domain accounts with Active Directory configured (roaming profiles+folder redirection) -> so the path where XBMC stores settings "C:\Users\Y3k\AppData\Roaming\XBMC" actually is "\\server\Redirect$\y3k\AppData\Roaming". Of course windows keep a local copy of those data
  • I've been able to add my movie source folder, and using the default scraper it catched most of my movies (I'll have to do a couple by hand). Also, the personal settings that I have defined through the setting page are being kept -> this setup is kinda working

how do you explain that:
  • If I try to get new addons (scrapers or skins) following the (trivial) steps from the wiki I get an empty list, even if I force refresh through debug mode.
  • Each time I open the movie page, movies are displayed in list mode, even if I selected (multiple times) fanart display mode. Is this setting maybe saved in another location than the settings defined thorugh the setting page? Note that, as I have stated, I don't have to close XBMC for this to happen, going back to home screen and then to movies again is enough
  • Each time I launch XBMC it keeps telling me that a couple of add-ons (music related, I don't need them) are marked as not working and should be disabled. No matter how many times I tell to disable them, when I re-launch XBMC, it asks me again -> same concern as before?
up
First of all, don't bump threads that aren't old.

What skin are you using ?

Could you try what happens on a local account (without redirection) ? It is hard to pinpoint the issue as you have a lot going on (mySQL, roaming profiles / folder redirection)
It is hard to tell if the MySQL is at fault here or that it has to do with folder redirection or that there is a third issue altogether.
(2013-02-19, 13:38)Kibje Wrote: First of all, don't bump threads that aren't old.

What skin are you using ?

Could you try what happens on a local account (without redirection) ? It is hard to pinpoint the issue as you have a lot going on (mySQL, roaming profiles / folder redirection)
It is hard to tell if the MySQL is at fault here or that it has to do with folder redirection or that there is a third issue altogether.

Thanks for answering. Sorry for the bump, I didn't check where my post actually was on the forum, but after about 7 hours I inferred that it just gone unnoticed Tongue. I'm using the default skin (I think its name is "confluence"?). Of course I can try on a local account (just to see if roaming profiles/folder redirection is causing the problem) ...but for it to satisfy my needs it has to work in a domain account with such features...hmm wait, one thing I could try is to launch it in portable mode, so that it stores configuration files directly inside XBMC folder. I'll give it a try and let you know Tongue
Just a little update: running in portable mode fixed all the problems I had, hence we can draw the conclusion that XBMC v12 (as the earlier versions) doesn't support roaming profiles and/or folder redirection. I think that this should be fixed, should I report this in the bug section?
I think you jump to conclusions.

XBMC by default uses the roaming %appdata% folder, which would mean that it would play fine with roaming user profiles.

I would look for the issue in the way your roaming profiles synchronise on user logoff. Has XBMC closed nicely before that ?
Try the following:
1)
Log on with a user with roaming profile.
Start XBMC, make some changes and exit XBMC
Start XBMC again. Are the settings saved ?

2)
Log on with a user with roaming profile.
Start XBMC, make some changes and exit XBMC.
wait 5 minutes and log the user off.
Check the filesize and date between the locally cached userdata folder and the serverside userdata folder. Did everything synchronise ok ?

Quote:XBMC has to work within windows domain accounts with Active Directory configured (roaming profiles+folder redirection) -> so the path where XBMC stores settings "C:\Users\Y3k\AppData\Roaming\XBMC" actually is "\\server\Redirect$\y3k\AppData\Roaming". Of course windows keep a local copy of those data
I am a bit confused by this. You are not caching your %appdata% redirection are you ? I mean, your roaming profiles are not offline accessible ?
In case you are, that is not a correct way to set up a combination of folder redirections and roaming profiles.
First of all, thanks for the answer. That said...

1) -> yes, as long as for "change" you mean any change in the options menu, not a "change" like how movies are displayed (this is done directly in the side menu of the movies section, for example fanart instead of list). That kind of change is never kept, I don't even need to exit XBMC for it to reset, it's enough to go back to the main menu and then to the movies again. (as I have said in the first post)

2) -> hmm...are you sure that this is relevant? As long as I know programs should always work on the local cached copy of data (for a matter of performance of course) so this should pose no problem. As of now sync should occur at a fixed amount of time, since sync at login/logoff should be disabled as you can see from this Administrative Template in roaming profile/folder redirection users' GPO:

Here's my client sync settings:

Quote:
Quote:XBMC has to work within windows domain accounts with Active Directory configured (roaming profiles+folder redirection) -> so the path where XBMC stores settings "C:\Users\Y3k\AppData\Roaming\XBMC" actually is "\\server\Redirect$\y3k\AppData\Roaming". Of course windows keep a local copy of those data
I am a bit confused by this. You are not caching your %appdata% redirection are you ? I mean, your roaming profiles are not offline accessible ?
In case you are, that is not a correct way to set up a combination of folder redirections and roaming profiles.

As far as I know I am caching the %appdata% folder, as you can see from this pic from my client pc:

Maybe there's a little confusion caused by me here: when I say that the path where XBMC stores settings "C:\Users\Y3k\AppData\Roaming\XBMC" actually is "\\server\Redirect$\y3k\AppData\Roaming" I mean that if I access my profile from the sidebar shortcut I'm taken directly to the remote folder as you can see from here:

Instead, if I access my profile following the usual directory tree (C:\ -> users -> y3k ...) I am presented with a stub "roaming" folder (since I'm "online" with the server I guess?):

I thought that this should be considered as normal behavior.

...continue... (image limit reached)

I know that this is a little offtopic, but if you're persuaded that my roaming profile/folder redirection config is incorrect please review these couple of screenshots for possible mistakes (I have a limited knowledge of this matter):

roaming profile account config (example)

extract of the GPO which enforces folder redirection (this is done in the same way for the other user's folders)

One thing that may or may not help us to figure out what's going on here's that, after a clean install of XBMC and after I have executed it both in portable mode and normal mode, the "addons" folder shows very different content depending on whether I check the one inside "portable_data" directly in XBMC folder or the one in "Roaming" folder:

Maybe this is linked to the fact that in normal mode (not portable), no addon (skin, scraper, whatsoever) except from default ones are shown. I hope you can give a hand here Tongue
XBMC saves a load of data to the database and settings files when it shuts down.
If you hard crash xbmc, you will notice all changes made are not saved.

I am pretty sure that for this to work you would need to sync at logon at logoff as well, as you are now syncing the database at a moment xbmc has not closed.
This does not work.

EDIT: I forgot you were using mysql. I have no clue what you are trying to accomplish.

As a side note: I really do not get why you would want to sync XBMC data in your roaming profile. XBMC appdata gets HUGE if you have many items, which will significantly slow down your logon and logoff times.
What is the added benefit ?
Do you actually log on to several machines with the same user (never on more than one pc at the same time) to use XBMC ?
Logging on to more than one pc at a time with the same user will cause profile corruption, so that is no option.

The reason why you see less in normal mode than in portable mode is because the standard XBMC skins and addons that are included with the install will be installed at
%programfilesfolder%\XBMC\addons\ in a normal install.

----
You might want to read http://blogs.windows.com/windows/b/sprin...-plan.aspx and http://www.grouppolicy.biz/2010/08/best-...alization/

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Freshly installed 12.0, some add-ons issues and some settings not saved0