Accesing mythtv storage groups from xbmc
Hi all,

Nowadays I have a mythtv setup with multiple backends and frontends and I'd like to change my frontends to xbmc running on raspberryPI. I managed to get xmbc and myth tv PVR configuration up and running but I cannot access mythtv storage groups just "recordings" or "default" (both are the same in mythtv). All my other multimedia files (video,audio and so on) are now stored in the backends in different storage groups and I would like to be able to access them just like I'm doing now in mythtv frontend. NFS, SMB or any other shared disk protocol is not an option for me. Is there any way to do this?

Thank you in advance
No, but why not use smb or nfs?
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
So there's no way of using storage groups in xbmc? Maybe it's not implemented, I'll look at the source just in case I can implement it myself.

Answering your question, long ago when I started using mythtv, once I got my first remote frontend working I used NFS because storage groups were not accesible remotely (or I didn't know how to) and I had some nasty problems while playing videos (slowlyness, audio/video desync, sometimes playing got stuck and so on...). Later I started to use the storage groups and everything started to work great.

I know this is a network problem because of my wireless hardware (old low-end 802.11g access point and integrated cards) and also too long distance from the mythtv boxes and the AP, but I'd prefer to solve this without spending money on new network hardware.
There is no way to use SGs except via the pvr plugin.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
I'm using the mythtv pvr plugin now (the one found by default installed but not active in xbmc) but although I can see the recordings there is no menu option to browse media from other SGs (or I didn't find it)... Maybe there is another myth pvr plugin that can handle SGs... ¿?
The pvr plugin only accesses the recordings SGs. Sorry if I didn't make myself clear enough.
Can you add it under Videos? Go to Videos menus, Files, Add Videos, Browse for Windows (SMB), select your backend and this is where my primary storage groups show up.

If not, you can alway edit the smb.conf file on your backend to add more folders.

gedit /etc/samba/smb.conf

[Other Storage Groups]
comment = <name of folder to show in kodi>
path = /home/folder...
readonly = yes
write list = <username>
create mode = 0755
directory mode = 0755
follow symlinks = yes
wide links = yes
force user = mythtv

Then restart service:

sudo service smbd restart
The point about storage groups is that they consist of a number of directories which are combined into one "storage group". You cannot share them with samba. They must be accessed over the myth protocol.

Well you could combine them with mhddfs and then share the combined folder with samba. https://romanrm.net/mhddfs
You can access MythTV storage groups via UPnP from Kodi -- Videos:Files:Add Videos...:Browse:UPnP Devices:<your MythTV server>.
Do you really mean storage groups or recording groups?

The latest pvr.mythtv client (from Janbar, see this thread for discussions http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=198833 ) supports recording groups in two ways:

1) Each recording group appears as a folder in 'recordings' (And has since Helix)
2) When setting up timers , you can choose which recording group to put them in (Since Jarvis)

The mythfrontend integration with recording groups seems to work in a similar way. I've never created more than one storage group myself, having discovered that 'recording groups' did what I wanted.

If you're using RPi as a frontend and a mythbackend from 0.27 onwards, I suggest you check out one of the most recent Millhouse Jarvis or Kxxx builds. I'm currently using #1201 (see http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=...pid2176101) on three RPi devices (2xB and one B+ model).

If you are using storage groups rather than recording groups currently you might find it easier to define some recording groups on your backend and sort your existing recordings into them (hint - add your recordings to a playlist, then move the playlist to a new recording group using mythfrontend). That way the 'integration' you seek already exists in Kodi.

I have to confess I haven't used mythfrontend much for several years now (since 0.24 and getting my 1st RPi), so my knowledge may be a little out of date from that perspective.
I confirm until now pvr.mythtv addon handles only liveTV and recordings. Others group for videos, music are not exposed by the addon. First reason , as said nickr, is kodi can access them via samba or upnp. Second is addon was designed to provide PVR services only. I have some videos in my myth and i access them with kodi using upnp. So adding these features in the addon would make double. Isn't it ?

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Accesing mythtv storage groups from xbmc0