2012 Mac Mini OS?
Hey guys,
I'm trying to make the jump to a full XMBC box. I moved from a WD TV Live Hub to an AppleTV running XBMC, and now I've picked up a late 2012 Mac Mini with 1TB drive and 8GB memory.

I had the native xbmc running on OS X, and it works great - until you let it fall asleep. When it wakes up I have audio issues and remote issues. Also, the music playback has some odd quirks.

So now I'm wondering, what would be a better OS to run? OS X 10.8, Windows 7 or Linux (debian preferred, but I'm open to suggestions.)

I was leaning towards Linux, but I've been reading that the Intel 4000 HD video has problems with it.

Any recommendations?

TIA
Dave
Audio sleep issue should be fixed in nightly builds (wiki) and should be included for the future 12.1 bug fix release. That being said, as much as I love Mac OS X, I would be tempted to duel boot it between Mac OS X and something Linux based.
Well, I am a power user of both Linux/Unix and Windows so I would say that it all comes to whatever you're used to.

If you have other windows based computers at home, it can be a good idea to go with Windows 7 to have an uniform environment.
I believe the Intel drivers are not perfect on Linux but this would need to be investigated.

I have the same build, running on windows 8 for different reasons (I posted on that earlier this week) and I have to say that it runs smoothly and keeps on surprising everyday I come in my living room (have to check if it is acutally on). No issues so far, it just works like a charm.
I also have a Mac Mini late 2012 for which I have previously had Windows on purely to take advantage of proper HD sound (ie DTS HD-MA etc), however last month I took the plunge to install OpenElec on it (you need to use the Generic version) and must say it is now an awesome media center machine. It boots fast and directly into XBMC, all configuration is done within XBMC (such as static ip etc) and it plays HD sound no problems (unlike OS X). If you want to use your machine purely as a media center then I would definitely give it a try.
Sounds awesome, any chance of having spotify in there?

I can't seem to find a decent plugin for xbmc that runs smoothly.
Can we install regular spotify through wine or even an open source client?
(2013-02-21, 16:36)im85288 Wrote: I also have a Mac Mini late 2012 for which I have previously had Windows on purely to take advantage of proper HD sound (ie DTS HD-MA etc), however last month I took the plunge to install OpenElec on it (you need to use the Generic version) and must say it is now an awesome media center machine. It boots fast and directly into XBMC, all configuration is done within XBMC (such as static ip etc) and it plays HD sound no problems (unlike OS X). If you want to use your machine purely as a media center then I would definitely give it a try.

Does going the openElec route kills other media center type apps as Netflix or Hulu? I'm not sure if OpenElec lets you drop out to a browser or to run something like the Hulu Desktop app.

I'd like to pick one of these up to use as an HTPC but XBMC isn't the only think I need on it.

Thanks.
(2013-02-23, 16:43)rcrh Wrote:
(2013-02-21, 16:36)im85288 Wrote: I also have a Mac Mini late 2012 for which I have previously had Windows on purely to take advantage of proper HD sound (ie DTS HD-MA etc), however last month I took the plunge to install OpenElec on it (you need to use the Generic version) and must say it is now an awesome media center machine. It boots fast and directly into XBMC, all configuration is done within XBMC (such as static ip etc) and it plays HD sound no problems (unlike OS X). If you want to use your machine purely as a media center then I would definitely give it a try.

Does going the openElec route kills other media center type apps as Netflix or Hulu? I'm not sure if OpenElec lets you drop out to a browser or to run something like the Hulu Desktop app.

I'd like to pick one of these up to use as an HTPC but XBMC isn't the only think I need on it.

Thanks.

Anyone able to answer - have the same query
i dont think u can exit out of xbmc in openelec, since the distro is entirely xbmc.
(2013-03-18, 21:57)Vanq Wrote:
(2013-02-23, 16:43)rcrh Wrote:

Thanks.

Anyone able to answer - have the same query

You could try running Hulu add-on from BlueCop repository (it also has a proxy option in case you're outside of US). For more info: http://wiki.xbmc.org/?title=Unofficial_a...positories .

As for netflix I don't have direct experience but I'm pretty sure I read somewhere that there is an add-on also for that.

BTW, isn't it a waste to have a mac mini to run only XBMC? I did a similar setup with an eeebox pc (EB1033) and the result is the same (flawless bitstream audio).
Picked up a brand new mac mini this weekend specifically as an HTPC, and am currently running mountain lion. I went this direction because I did want the flexibility of a pc, but definitely wanted the nod towards media. I got a free magic mouse, and picked up a solar logitech wireless keyboard. Also grabbed a new apple remote (my old one has a sticky button). It's wired directly via HDMI to the TV.

Thus far having no complaints with OSX.
We only have stereo sound atm, so no issue with HD audio even if they exist. If it becomes a problem I can use windows or ubuntu, but it doesn't seem to be giving me any problems as is.

The out of box support for the apple remote is nice too.

Also, I added a second virtual desktop which runs safari in full screen which runs xfinitytv, hbogo, maxgo, hulu, netflix, and amazon prime in tabs - so I am either using xbmc on the main desktop (starts automatically at bootup), or in a fullscreen safari window for any of those streaming sites in full HD with just a swipe across the magic mouse. It's worked out awesome. The hbogo on the second desktop will save me 10$ a month since it's the only xbox live feature I currently use.

The biggest drawback I can find is when I eventually get an external bluray drive (if I don't get a PS4) there don't seem to be any mac compatible bluray players with full 3d support (MVC) - that would be a reason to get windows on instead.

Have you used the apple remote with openelec? How does it work?
Hi,

I posted about it a while ago.

Running a late 2012 on Windows 8 (all my computers at home are on it except my NAS) and it's an absolute happiness. Works like a charm, absolutely silent and I have absolutely no sleep issue or HD sound problem.
I also run spotify/wimp and every single piece of software a HTPC could need.

I tried ubuntu and fedora on it and had some minor issues with intel drivers, especially the audio part. Spotify can run through wine, no issue there. You could also use libspotify to build your own linux client if that's what you're into.

As much as i like the concepts of openelec, I still need to stream music and I only have access to spotify/wimp/deezer where i live.

What remote do you use? Can you start the machine from the remote? Do you installing on the disk or usb? do you lose osx?

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
2012 Mac Mini OS?0