Anyone know how to get RTMPDUMP working on android?
I'm trying to see if i can get the (UK) channel4 addon working and a couple other addons that require RTMPDUMP.

There's a version of RTMPDUMP for download halfway down this page but its from nearly 3 years ago and anyway, i have no idea what to do with it once it's downloaded: http://rtmpdump.mplayerhq.hu/

here's the thread on the channel 4 on demand addon for xbmc incase anyone wants to try and get it working on android (pretty sure it only works for people in the UK though): http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=134118

but my main question is whether anyone has got and xbmc addons that need RTMPDUMP working on android?

any thoughts/clue/suggestions at all very much appreciated.
From the http://rtmpdump.mplayerhq.hu/ page -> The latest release is 2.4 which you can check out from git

Our android nightly contains past 2.4 and is the same version that the other xbmc platform builds use. What is your problem and what git version is required ?

Please don't point to any binaries, I don't care about binaries, we (TeamXBMC) need to build the binary from source code.
My main problem is that I have no idea how to get the 4OD addon (which needs rtmpdump apparently) working on my android box.

It works on my windows box (i just extracted the zip and pointed the addon towards the rtmpdump.exe).

I'm not saying something isn't working, I'm saying I don't know how to get it working.

i can download the android zip file from the page you linked but then i don't know what to do with the files.

The android zip file on the link you posted says its version 2.3, but you mentioned 2.4, am i looking in the wrong place? (it says "2010-06-30: Download Android build rtmpdump-2.3-android.zip")
tools/android/depends/librtmp/Makefile

That's what we build, it gets built for every nightly from our buildbots at http://buildbot.xbmc.org/waterfall

In that Makefile is

LIBNAME=rtmpdump
VERSION=e0056c51cc1710c9a44d2a2c4e2f344fa9cabcf4
GIT_DIR=$(TARBALLS_LOCATION)/$(LIBNAME).git
BASE_URL=git://git.ffmpeg.org/$(LIBNAME).git

See how which version we use ? See where it pull source code from. Notice that we build from source code and that rtmp library binary is included with our XBMC for Android build ?

Are you saying that this addon requires the separate rtmpdump application ? If so, then it will never, ever work under android.
The addon needs to be re-written to use librtmp the way it was intended to be used.
ok I'm just a user - not properly technical at all - so what you are saying is over my head i'm afraid.

All I know is there is a field in the addon settings that says "rtmpdump". On my windows machine I got the addon working (I downloaded the windows zip from here: http://rtmpdump.mplayerhq.hu/ and unzippeed it to the root of my hard disk drive and then pointed the addon setting to the rtmpdump.exe).

I'm trying to find out what files i should download, where i should put them and which file to point the addon towards in the "path to rtmpdump" field in the settings.

I tried on the addon thread but they suggested i need to use the android forum if i want to get it working on android.

thanks for your time yet again davilla, much appreciated.
Just forget that hackery on android.
AppleTV4/iPhone/iPod/iPad: HowTo find debug logs and everything else which the devs like so much: click here
HowTo setup NFS for Kodi: NFS (wiki)
HowTo configure avahi (zeroconf): Avahi_Zeroconf (wiki)
READ THE IOS FAQ!: iOS FAQ (wiki)
The 4oD plugin uses librtmp to stream videos in the normal way. "the way is was intended to be used", nothing unusual there.

The plugin also gives the option to download video streams. rtmpdump is used to do the downloading. This is rtmpdump being used the way it was intended to be used.

Useful to know that rtmpdump can't be installed on Android, thanks for that.
People have been asking me for a Donate button, so if you want to buy me a drink > here it is <
ok thanks chaps. so i don't need to use the "path to rtmpdump" field at all?

How can I get the addon working then? whenever i click a video it doesn't work (just get the buffering symbol circulating for a fraction of a second and then nothing).

From what mossy and davilla are saying i think that the addon should just automatically use librtmp. so maybe that isn't my problem.

I'll post a debug log into the 4OD thread and then I'll come back here if the problem turns out to be androids use of librtmp.

Thanks again.
(2013-02-23, 13:52)Mossy Wrote: The 4oD plugin uses librtmp to stream videos in the normal way. "the way is was intended to be used", nothing unusual there.

The plugin also gives the option to download video streams. rtmpdump is used to do the downloading. This is rtmpdump being used the way it was intended to be used.

Useful to know that rtmpdump can't be installed on Android, thanks for that.

So what's the problem on Android with the 4oD plugin ?

Note, you might find an apk that installs rtmpdump app, there's nothing (besides needing root) to prevent that. Or even modify our librtmp Makefile to also build the rtmpdump binary app and you can manually install in.

It's just that XBMC for Android will never do that. XBMC for Android is a self contained app and does not spew bits and pieces of binary apps into the platform.
(2013-02-23, 17:29)davilla Wrote: XBMC for Android ... does not spew bits and pieces of binary apps into the platform.

I don't understand how other versions of XBMC spew binary apps into the platform. AFAIK they don't.

Quote:So what's the problem on Android with the 4oD plugin ?

I don't know that there is yet, could be a problem in thebear's end. Will know more after seeing the debug log.
People have been asking me for a Donate button, so if you want to buy me a drink > here it is <
OK everything is working fine now. The 4od addon works great on my android box, and that is with no tweaks at all.

The addon wouldnt work at first and i wrongly thought that it was because i needed rtmpdump. as it turns out i did a fresh install of android (for other reasons) and a fresh install of xbmc and the 4od addon worked straight away.

humble apologies for wasting folks time with this thread, I have no idea why th addon wouldn't work the first time. but its working great now without and need for rtmpdump or any tweaks whatsoever.

*crawls back under his rock.
Alittle off topic:
Does anyone know how i can use the rtmpdump in my own app?

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Anyone know how to get RTMPDUMP working on android?0