Linux Sony Play TV RC
I've have this device connected to a Linux box.

I want to know can any Bluetooth RC be used with the unit? There is a RC feature supported but that's assuming the console is connected to a PS3.

What are you guys using as a RC for PlayTV connected to Linux?
The Play TV is purely a DVB-T dual tuner AIUI. Because it was designed for use with the PS3 which already has integrated remote control functionality the Play TV doesn't need any of its own. When you use the Play TV with Linux, it's purely a TV tuner.

As a result, you don't really need to consider the Play TV specifically when you look at Linux Remote Control solutions - you simply chose one that works for your desired set-up - so searching for general experience of remote controls with XBMC under Linux is probably a useful starting point?

Lots of us use the standard Microsoft Windows Media Center remote with XBMC - because it's pretty well designed (the backlight is quite useful), has the right buttons on it, and has good Linux driver support. If you already have a PS3 Bluetooth Media Remote (The BD/Playstation remote) then I believe you can use this if your Linux build has a supported Bluetooth chipset in it (or a USB Bluetooth dongle?) I haven't tried using the PS3 remote with my set-ups though.
Thanks, so I figured!

I was using other external tuners which had IR sensors built-in (as most do). So I was expecting something similar of sorts of RC functionality built-in to the PlayTV. Instead it's the PS3 ("mother-console") which provides the RC functionality.

Well, in that case any Bluetooth capable RC should work as an input device through a generic Bluetooth receiver connected to the Linux box.
(2013-02-23, 13:40)OS/2 Wrote: Thanks, so I figured!

I was using other external tuners which had IR sensors built-in (as most do). So I was expecting something similar of sorts of RC functionality built-in to the PlayTV. Instead it's the PS3 ("mother-console") which provides the RC functionality.
Yep - many do (though not all)

Quote:Well, in that case any Bluetooth capable RC should work as an input device through a generic Bluetooth receiver connected to the Linux box.

Yes - though you can also find cheap IR remote control + USB receiver combos as well quite often. Bluetooth media remotes aren't that common (apart from for the PS3!)
True. But in my estimation better to go with a tuner with an integrated input receiver (be it IR, Bluetooth).

Well I guess there are Pros and Cons dependent on usage.
(2013-02-23, 14:51)OS/2 Wrote: True. But in my estimation better to go with a tuner with an integrated input receiver (be it IR, Bluetooth).

Well I guess there are Pros and Cons dependent on usage.

In my experience you often get better support with standalone RCs - and often the remotes are better quality. I have a rather unhealthily large collection of DVB-T/T2/S/S2 tuner cards and USB interfaces - and the bulk of them had pretty poor remote controls. The remotes bundled with many tuners are cheap, small and not optimised for media centre duties (more for Live TV), and look to be afterthoughts quite often. Many are now credit card membrane types (which are horrid) - though some versions of the Hauppauge remotes are quite good.

As I've said earlier - the Windows Media Centre remotes are pretty good. They have a good layout, aren't too cheap, and some models have a backlight which can be very useful when watching movies in low light situations!

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Sony Play TV RC0