• 15(current)
[RELEASE] Steam Launcher - Start Steam Big Picture Mode from within Kodi
(2014-03-25, 22:26)LSU Jonno Wrote: teeedub,

Thanks for the great plugin!

I'm having some trouble getting it working. I'm a linux newb running XBMCbuntu.

I understand your first post about running Steam Launcher from an XBMC session. However, if I log into my desktop and launch XBMC from the desktop I can't get Steam Launcher to work.

I've installed wmctrl and
Quote: Linux only: Make steam-launch.sh executable on next run - This changes the executable bit on the file 'steam-launch.sh' which is necessary for this addon to run, Linux users need to do this on the first run and after deleting the profile://addon_data scripts. This setting defaults to off after being run once.

...but I keep getting an error that steam-launch.sh could not run.

I'm using XBMCbuntu 13:
http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=189553

Also, anyone know how to make XBMC autostart in XBMCbuntu from the desktop? I think I'd rather launch this way rather than through the XBMC session so that plugins like this one and Chrome launcher work without going through too much configuration.

I just tried xbmcbuntu 13 and its working for me within the lxde (xbmcbuntu) session, so if you are having troubles post a log. The Openbox session is disabled, to activte it you need to rename the openbox.desktop.dir file to openbox.desktop in /usr/share/xsessions.
so trying to set this up with xbmcbuntu gotham beta2 and taking notes in preparation for a full reformat for xbmcbuntu gotham

was able to follow your walkthrough up to the point of exiting xbmc and logging into openbox.

Upon exiting XBMC, I do get bounced to a log in screen, but after logging in as my xbmc user, XBMC immediately runs again.

any ideas?
I had the same problem - you need to follow the exact instructions that are on the first page of the xbmcbuntu 13 beta thread. Also see the post above yours for activating openbox in xbmcbuntu 13, I haven't updated my xbmcbuntu guide yet
(2014-04-08, 08:07)teeedubb Wrote: I had the same problem - you need to follow the exact instructions that are on the first page of the xbmcbuntu 13 beta thread. Also see the post above yours for activating openbox in xbmcbuntu 13, I haven't updated my xbmcbuntu guide yet

Thanks for the information, I've been making some headway.

I was able to get to the desktop per the post you pointed me to, and was able to get Steam to run.

I'm stuck with 2 problems though
1) When I reboot, it goes straight to desktop instead of going to xbmc. I don't think I missed anything from your walkthrough, but I could be wrong.

2) if I run xbmc from the desktop, it properly runs xbmc. If I run your addon, it logs out, and runs Steam BPM, however once I quit Steam, it just sits at the desktop.
1 that's how xbmcbuntu is designed - it auto logins to the last used session.

2 do you have 'wmctrl' installed?
1) when I followed your setup for xbmcbuntu 12, even after opendesktop, it still went to xbmc on boot. Do I need to log in under xbmc to have that happen?

2) did a dpkg -l | grep wmctrl and got nothing, so assuming no?
1 Im not sure what you mean. If you reboot after logging into the openbox desktop it should automatically log openbox desktop, and same with xbmc / xbmcbuntu-desktop sessions. Are you saying that after logging into the openbox desktop a reboot will take you back to the xbmc session?

2 yeah that program is needed to detect whether big picture mode has been exited.
regarding booting, it does what you say. after rebooting, it goes straight into openbox desktop.
I believe I misunderstood and that I had to logout, and then logback in under xbmc, and that will go straight to xbmc from now on, which it did after I rebooted.

New Problem, installed wmctrl, and after rebooting went to run Steam BPM through your addon, it goes to a black screen with an X cursor in the center, steam window about "updating" steam appears, but then it kicks back to the xbmc loading screen, xbmc appears briefly, and then that goes away and I've got just a black screen now. (I can hear audio ticks when I use arrow keys, but no video)

Edit: updated what happens when run
Sounds like your running the add on from the xbmc session?
okay, I may be confusing myself and others.

here's what happens on my xbmcbuntu12, which I setup with your same walkthrough.
when I turn the unit on, it boots straight to xbmc. When I run the Steam addon, it exits xbmc, and runs steam, and upon exiting steam, it goes back to xbmc.

Trying to replicate that with xbmcbuntu13, but apparently i'm failing in communications.

which "session" should i be logging in under? My options are "XBMC" & "XBMCBuntu"
It should be booting into the openbox session.
okay. and to get the openbox session to automatically run xbmc on boot instead of just sitting at the desktop?

it looked like
Code:
echo "xsetroot -solid black &" >> $HOME/.config/openbox/autostart.sh && echo "/usr/bin/xbmc &" >> $HOME/.config/openbox/autostart.sh && chmod +x $HOME/.config/openbox/autostart.sh
was supposed to take care of it, but it still just booting direct to desktop instead of automatically running xbmc.
Yeah that command was supposed to do that Confused
If you edit

~/.config/openbox/autostart.sh

And add

/usr/bin/xbmc &

That should autostart xbmc. Cheers for pointing that out, I'll update that post when I'm at a computer.
Code:
xbmc@xbmc2:~$ cd ~/.config/openbox
xbmc@xbmc2:~/.config/openbox$ ll
total 40
drwxrwxr-x  2 xbmc xbmc  4096 Apr  8 18:46 ./
drwx------ 10 xbmc xbmc  4096 Apr  8 18:46 ../
-rwxrwxr-x  1 xbmc xbmc    40 Apr  8 19:12 autostart.sh*
-rw-r--r--  1 xbmc xbmc 26059 Apr  8 18:46 xbmcbuntu-rc.xml
xbmc@xbmc2:~/.config/openbox$ cat autostart.sh
xsetroot -solid black &
/usr/bin/xbmc &
xbmc@xbmc2:~/.config/openbox$

that's what i've got in that file right now
That's looks correct and its executable...when in openbox try running that script from a terminal window, that should show any errors.
  • 15(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[RELEASE] Steam Launcher - Start Steam Big Picture Mode from within Kodi7