• 18(current)
[RELEASE] Steam Launcher - Start Steam Big Picture Mode from within Kodi
Big Grin glad you enjoy it.
Hi,

I downloaded the zip from your git repo. When choosing to 'install from zip file' in xbmc. I get an error saying the structure of the file is not correct.
Im using Ubunu14.04 with XBMC running as a log in session.

Thanks Smile
Is that with the addon or my repo?
I downloaded your git repo as a zip file and tried to install (what I thought was the add-on) from that zip file. Your reply makes me doubt that I downloaded the correct one Tongue
Can you please point me to the download link of a zip file that can be installed as an add-on in xbmc?
Thanks Smile
@cdoublejj + von_liquid

Direct link for addon is here
https://github.com/teeedubb/teeedubb-xbm...p?raw=true

Repo is here
https://github.com/teeedubb/teeedubb-xbm...p?raw=true

Make sure there are no addon/repo zip files in the ~/.xbmc directory, search for the with this command (xbmc keeps cached copies of the zip files)

linux
Code:
find ~/.xbmc |grep -i script.steam  |grep -i zip && find ~/.xbmc |grep -i repository.teeedubb |grep -i zip
windows
search for the zip file names in
Code:
%appdata%\XBMC\
(paste that into windows explorer)

Please install both, and if there are any more problems please post a xbmc debug log (wiki)
(2014-02-19, 08:14)teeedubb Wrote: Another option is to just use openbox and disable the compositor when xbmc is running, if it gives you problems. Probably easier to setup, especially if you want to run emulators, and one downside of my way is steam/chrome/xbmc take longer to start up due to the session restart+ console text shows up on screen.

Is this possible on an XBMCBuntu install?
Yeah, you need to set up xbmcbuntu to boot is to the desktop session.
(2014-05-03, 04:14)teeedubb Wrote: Yeah, you need to set up xbmcbuntu to boot is to the desktop session.

First of, great work on the addon!

I'm trying to get it to work with my XBMCbuntu install with everything running in openbox, since I want to be able to switch between XBMC, Emulators and Steam BPM. Startup/shutdown times are not important.

But there's lots of jumping back and forth in this and other threads and I can't seem to figure out which parts to follow and which parts to skip, which configs to apply and which scripts to use.

Any chance there is a step-by-step guide somewhere that's updated for XBMCbuntu 13 (and Ubuntu 14.04)?

Thank you for all your hard work, it must be exhausting to give support, write guides and develop the addon all at the same time...
Now that xbmcbuntu 13 is final I will write a new guide, but from what I saw with the betas its very similar to 12, main thing being the openbox session is disabled, take a look in /use/share/xsessions (that path is from memory, so double check) to enable it. Then xbmcbuntu 13 thread has info on how to select the openbox session once its enabled.
(2014-05-07, 02:47)teeedubb Wrote: Now that xbmcbuntu 13 is final I will write a new guide, but from what I saw with the betas its very similar to 12, main thing being the openbox session is disabled, take a look in /use/share/xsessions (that path is from memory, so double check) to enable it. Then xbmcbuntu 13 thread has info on how to select the openbox session once its enabled.

Does enabling openbox interfere with lxde at all? I suppose I should just wait for your xbmcbuntu 13 guide before striking out on my own but I'm getting antsy!
I can't say for certain but I really doubt it would. To enable openbox session (in the beta atleast) all that is needed is renaming a file in the above directory, so to disable openbox rename the file back to what it was.
OK, so having read everything, it seems like this might be the way to success if one is OK _NOT_ running Steam and XBMC as their own sessions:

1.)Boot Linux with XBMCBuntu 13.

2.)Update the distro and the XBMC installation.

3.)Log in to the XBMCbuntu desktop.

4.)Enable openbox by renaming the openbox.desktop.dir file to openbox.desktop in /usr/share/xsessions (as you said in this post).

5.)Install wmctrl and Steam. Instructions for installing Steam are in this post.

6.)Install the steamos-xpad driver from the Steamos Ubuntu PPA (this post).

7.)Enter the following into the terminal to launch XBMC on boot:
Code:
echo "xsetroot -solid black &" >> $HOME/.config/openbox/autostart.sh && echo "/usr/bin/xbmc &" >> $HOME/.config/openbox/autostart.sh && chmod +x $HOME/.config/openbox/autostart.sh
(see this post)

8.)Create the following .asoundrc file in the home directory:
Code:
# first set oss apps to use dmixer
pcm.dsp {
    type plug
    slave.pcm "dmixer"
}

pcm.dsp0 {
    type plug
    slave.pcm "dmixer"
}

# this makes native ALSA apps default to using dmix
pcm.!default {
    type plug
    slave.pcm "dmixer"

}

ctl.!default {
        type hw
        card 0
        }

pcm.dmixer  {
        type dmix
        ipc_key 101
        slave {
            pcm "hw:0,3"
            period_time 0
            period_size 1024
            buffer_size 4096
            rate 44100
        }
        bindings {
            0 0
            1 1
        }
    }
(see this post)
Does a corresponding asound.conf have to go in /etc/ as well?

9.)Disable compositor while XBMC is running -- This was referenced in this post but I'm not sure how to do it (other than manually). Also, would the compositor be re-enabled when your Steam Launcher add-on is used? If so, could I set it up to use the steamos compositor specifically, then kill it when steam is exited?

10.)Install your add-on

11.)Reboot and profit.
Nice, that about sums everything up. Youve been busy reading Smile

So hows it working for you?

You only need a asound.conf file in /etc/ if you are using multiple users and want those configs system wide, which I doubt youll need on a htpc.
You could modify the script at the bottom of this post to run a compositor when xbmc isnt running, although if a compositor is set up correctly (unredirect fullscreen) it might not interfere with xbmc. I dont use xbmc all that often with a compositor running, so I dont know if it impacts xbmc.
Also from this post it looks like using dmix isnt the best for audio quality, but again what kind of a difference it makes I dont know.
(2014-05-08, 09:55)teeedubb Wrote: Nice, that about sums everything up. Youve been busy reading Smile

You only need a asound.conf file in /etc/ if you are using multiple users and want those configs system wide, which I doubt youll need on a htpc.
You could modify the script at the bottom of this post to run a compositor when xbmc isnt running, although if a compositor is set up correctly (unredirect fullscreen) it might not interfere with xbmc. I dont use xbmc all that often with a compositor running, so I dont know if it impacts xbmc.
Also from this post it looks like using dmix isnt the best for audio quality, but again what kind of a difference it makes I dont know.

In the process of working it out, but I'll let everyone know shortly. Smile

What would be great is a guide on setting up minimal ubuntu with Steam, XBMC, and emulator functionality. It seems like all of the minimal Ubuntu --> Steam guides on the internet are pretty outdated.
(2014-05-08, 09:55)teeedubb Wrote: Nice, that about sums everything up. Youve been busy reading Smile

I'm not completely done, but so far so good.

1.)Steam initially didn't launch because a file from the 32-bit libraries ("libGL.so.1") was missing. I believe this is duo to the fact that I'm using onboard Intel HD 5000 graphics. The fix that worked for me (after I installed gedit, of course):
Code:
sudo gedit /etc/ld.so.conf.d/steam.conf
Add these two lines to the file:
Code:
/usr/lib32
/usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/mesa
Then execute:
Code:
sudo ldconfig

2.)I enabled openbox by changing the file name that you mentioned and then executed the associated commands
Code:
echo "xsetroot -solid black &" >> $HOME/.config/openbox/autostart.sh && echo "/usr/bin/xbmc &" >> $HOME/.config/openbox/autostart.sh && chmod +x $HOME/.config/openbox/autostart.sh
But this doesn't make XBMC autostart in XBMCbuntu. Can't comment as to whether it changed my desktop color, because I just changed that manually. I also hid the taskbar or whatever it's called in LDXE.

3.)How to I grab the xpad from the SteamOS PPA? I added the PPA, but I'm not sure where to go from there. Do I need to remove the previous xpad drivers, too? Finally, should I be using xboxdrv instead? Seems like that's a lot of peoples' preference. XBMC certainly isn't picking up my controller at the moment (not that I care about it), but I hear that emulators prefer xboxdrv to xpad.

There's also a fix necessary to enable the built-in IR receiver on the NUC. I will post more about that later. Smile[/code]
  • 18(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[RELEASE] Steam Launcher - Start Steam Big Picture Mode from within Kodi7