• 55(current)
[RELEASE] Steam Launcher - Start Steam Big Picture Mode from within Kodi
do you have wmctrl installed?
Nope it wasn't everything seems to be running fine now. I can even run the scripts to close and open kodi. That's really weird that's the first install I ran...

One last thing: openbox is running my resolution at 1366-768. If I change it to 1080p in kodi , it reverts back automatically. Anyway to fix this?

Other than that, it's amazing to find a creator that helps his fans setup and operate your program properly and I really really appreciate it. thank you!

If anyone needs help I'll stay subscribed to share what I learned.
So I just installed Steam Launcher, and it seems to work great for getting me into and out of Steam and then back to Kodi.

However, I've found that when Kodi reloads once I leave Steam, it gives me the following error: "Failure to start commoncache."

Once that error appears, I've found that sometimes the next time I log into Kodi, the controls won't work for navigating the menus. I have to do a force close and restart to get Kodi working properly again.

Logs can be found here: http://www.xbmclogs.com/pcnvsar0n

Any thoughts on what is causing this issue?
@shadowwrath you can probably force a resolution via a xorg.conf

@magic what version of the add-on are you using? Have you tried forcing a update of the scripts via the add-on settings? I couldn't see anything strange regarding commoncache in your log file
hey guys tried this on kodibuntu and works fine but when I launch steam it keeps automatically going to suspend/sleep mode even when using my wired xbox 360 controller. settings in kodi for power management are all set to off.

Any idea how i can maybe disable it completely using the terminal? It's an intel NUC so power usage isn't an issue for me.

cheers
Do you have modi running in the background?
Hi,
I'm running this addon with kodibuntu and runs perfect most of the time. Thank you for your work!!

My only problem appears just sometimes. I have always Sound in steam bpm but no ingame sound when i start any game.
I configured pulse audio with your tutorial.
Any idea?

Oh a side note.. Sometimes when i open the Audio config menue in steam bpm, i get a gui bug. Then i have to restart my kodi Device. Here's a pic: http://imgur.com/1Mxfik3
Been happy with my KodiStreambuntu machine for a few months now. It's the longest running setup I've had in a long time.

Been running into an issue, and I can't put my finger on it.

After a while my game crashes and I see a blank screen and my TV can't detect a video signal.
This behavior also happens while leaving Steam idle too.
At first I thought my computer shutdown because of heat. I opened the case and installed new fans.
However, the machine is still running and so is steam. Oddly, If I go to my office and stream a game from their to my HTPC -- The GUI (BPM) will popup again.
I'm on the latest Steam.

What video drivers are most people on for Nvidia? I have a 670 GTX.

I also was wondering if openbox has a screensaver, or some sort of energy saver setting?

Haven't been able to figure this one out yet. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
(2015-06-17, 20:44)Zalem Wrote: Hi,
I'm running this addon with kodibuntu and runs perfect most of the time. Thank you for your work!!

My only problem appears just sometimes. I have always Sound in steam bpm but no ingame sound when i start any game.
Any idea?

Oh a side note.. Sometimes when i open the Audio config menue in steam bpm, i get a gui bug. Then i have to restart my kodi Device. Here's a pic: http://imgur.com/1Mxfik3

Make sure and set a default audio device in Kodi. That's what fixed no in-game sound for me. Also, make sure you are running your audio scripts with proper permissions.

Had your issue once with the gui. I installed the 32bit steam libraries as mentioned at the very bottom of the guide. I think I may have reinstalled steam too.
(2015-06-19, 01:15)tdhz77 Wrote: Been happy with my KodiStreambuntu machine for a few months now. It's the longest running setup I've had in a long time.

Been running into an issue, and I can't put my finger on it.

After a while my game crashes and I see a blank screen and my TV can't detect a video signal.
This behavior also happens while leaving Steam idle too.
At first I thought my computer shutdown because of heat. I opened the case and installed new fans.
However, the machine is still running and so is steam. Oddly, If I go to my office and stream a game from their to my HTPC -- The GUI (BPM) will popup again.
I'm on the latest Steam.

What video drivers are most people on for Nvidia? I have a 670 GTX.

I also was wondering if openbox has a screensaver, or some sort of energy saver setting?

Haven't been able to figure this one out yet. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Alright after messing around for a couple hours I pinpointed it down to OpenBox going to screensaver mode because it doesn't detect SteamBPM (Launched from Kodi) ..
I switched quit Kodi in the config to false, and switched stop kodi audio to true. This seems to have fixed the issue and still gives me sound. The pulseaudio that I'm using with Kodi obviously ran into issues while both are running. It does seem to lag a few notches, and I assume its from pulseaudio getting confused.

Any thoughts on perhaps a better solution, let me know. I'm not 100% happy with where its at, like I said it lags a little more with kodi in the background, so I'm to find another solution.

Maybe this will help somebody in the future.
You can use whats in this article to disable the screensaver/screen blankng. On my system the bits in xorg.conf are enough.
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Dis..._Signaling
(2015-06-19, 01:18)tdhz77 Wrote:
(2015-06-17, 20:44)Zalem Wrote: Hi,

Any idea?

Make sure and set a default audio device in Kodi. That's what fixed no in-game sound for me. Also, make sure you are running your audio scripts with proper permissions.

Had your issue once with the gui. I installed the 32bit steam libraries as mentioned at the very bottom of the guide. I think I may have reinstalled steam too.

Everything seemed to go without a problem but I too have no in game audio... I think I have a default audio device set in kodi? Is that just in the settings where I select all the audio settings? My audio scripts have been made executable.

Going to try the 32bit steam libraries and keep looking into it

This is great by the way, games seem to stream really well! I actually run 2gbit out of the main rig, I only have 1gbit on the kodi box but at some stage I'll try and test 2 to see if there's any difference
Are you sure pulseaudio is running? No sound in games is a symptom of not having audio mixing available, either dmix or PA. (At least when running games locally)
(2015-06-23, 09:49)teeedubb Wrote: Are you sure pulseaudio is running? No sound in games is a symptom of not having audio mixing available, either dmix or PA. (At least when running games locally)

Yeah I'm a clown, I'd used this tip earlier but had a bogus card number for device. Put the right one in and all sound is working Big Grin

(2015-02-16, 05:29)metheos Wrote: I didn't have sound in steam until I manually edited /etc/pulse/default.pa

In the 'Load audio drivers statically' section I put my known working alsa device
Code:
load-module module-alsa-sink device=hw:0,3

You can determine yours from the output of aplay -l, here's my output
Code:
**** List of PLAYBACK Hardware Devices ****
card 0: Generic [HD-Audio Generic], device 3: HDMI 0 [HDMI 0]
  Subdevices: 1/1
  Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
card 1: SB [HDA ATI SB], device 0: ALC892 Analog [ALC892 Analog]
card 1: SB [HDA ATI SB], device 1: ALC892 Digital [ALC892 Digital]

I commented out
Code:
#load-module module-udev-detect

And I installed jackdbus
Code:
sudo apt-get install jackd2

After that, it "just worked"
Hey so anyone got an idea of how to switch res based on machine being used? I run a very different res on desktop monitors / TV, I attempted using launch options but looks like those are universal?
  • 55(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[RELEASE] Steam Launcher - Start Steam Big Picture Mode from within Kodi7