• 56(current)
[RELEASE] Steam Launcher - Start Steam Big Picture Mode from within Kodi
(2015-06-20, 04:18)teeedubb Wrote: You can use whats in this article to disable the screensaver/screen blankng. On my system the bits in xorg.conf are enough.
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Dis..._Signaling

Thanks T, when I grow up I want to be like you.
Hi,

when I start steam through the launcher I get some kind of first run wizard in bpm. I'm stuck there at network configuration since steam doesn't let me click on finish but I also can't change anything network related. All it does is show me that it has found a wired connection. I've read that the way to go is to start steam in normal mode, log in and then restart in bpm but as far as I can tell this is not supported by the launcher, right?

I'm using kodibuntu with Kodi 14.2

Any suggestions?

Best,
Knappe

EDIT:

Nevermind I just removed my network settings from interfaces and let kodibuntu get a dhcp address and now it's working.
(2015-06-16, 13:23)frankfurts Wrote: hey guys tried this on kodibuntu and works fine but when I launch steam it keeps automatically going to suspend/sleep mode even when using my wired xbox 360 controller. settings in kodi for power management are all set to off.

Any idea how i can maybe disable it completely using the terminal? It's an intel NUC so power usage isn't an issue for me.

cheers

sorry for the late reply guys but keeping kodi running in the background solved it for me, I set all power save modes on kodi to off and left it in the background all good now.
Looks like Valves fixes for the flashing LED's with wireless 360 controllers are, finally, going to be merged into the 4,2 kernel, with more fixes to be added in subsequent kernels. For those wanting to try Valves xpad driver with other fixes with out waiting for a 4.2+ 14.04 HWE to be released or running a unstable kernel you can install it with the method detailed here.
Is Steam supposed to take over control of an MCE remote? Got everything else under kodibuntu working but my remote can't navigate Steam's BPM. When I switch back to kodi from keyboard, remote works fine again. What did I miss?

Please and thanks
If you're using lirc then steam won't detect the keypresses. First post has a guide for using irxevent to have a lirc remote work with steam bpm
Sorry for the noob stupid question but what's a .ahk file? I noticed on my taskbar, and it seems like a program. Just asking because I play VAC enabled games and I don't want to be banned. Probably a obvious answer but I don't know about it.
It's a auto hot key script - its needed to detect whether steam is in bpm mode or not. If it runs afoul of VAC I don't know - I don't play a lot of competitive multiplayer with bpm and a controller though I've put heaps of hours into dark souls 2 and borderlands 2/3 online with steam launched via the add-on and haven't had any issues.
Hi and thanks for the great addon! However, I have some trouble using it:

I run kodi in a standalone version on archlinux. To get the steam addon running I needed to disable the window-manager check and disable the "quit kodi" option because then systemd would restart it.
However, steam runs only in the center of my screen (only one quarter of the screen is used). The borders are black. If I use xrandr to adjust the resolution the portion grows bigger so I suspect steam fails to find the current resolution and defaults to a low resolution. Maybe this is because steam does not find the DISPLAY variable, but then again I dont think it would actually start... Do you know how I can solve my problem?
Hello,
i used the addon with windows and kodi 15 rc3.
i have 2 displays.
I dont used the restart of kodi but when i closed steam in big picture mode, the resolution of kodi is not correctly.
@antipattern last I tired running BPM without a window manager caused lots of issues, so I dont have any solutions

@Slipass you could try commenting out the parts that minimise/maximise Kodi, or modify the maximise command to maximise Kodi to suit your setup, in the AHK script.
I think I found a solution for the network configuration bug here. It seems this issue arises when steam is started in BPM without any configuration files. It can be resolved by logging into steam without BPM in order to create a user profile.

I will try this as soon as I get home. Maybe it will also resolve the resolution issue. I find it reasonable that this problem arises from missing config files, too.
I'm starting to sound like a broken record, but does anyone with Intel hardware have hardware decoding working on their streaming client?

I've followed this guide, which used to work:

https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=187922

But now it doesn't anymore.

Quote:
Code:
sudo ln -s /usr/lib32/dri/i965_drv_video.so /usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/dri/i965_drv_video.so

It seems that the libva version Steam comes with, is not compatible anymore to the newer libva 1.4.0.
To force Steam to use the system libraries I deleted the shared object files:

Code:
rm ~/.local/share/Steam/ubuntu12_32/steam-runtime/i386/usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/libva*

Then I created some symlinks, so that Steam finds the shared object files.

Code:
sudo ln -s /usr/lib32/libva-x11.so.1.3600.0 /usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/libva-x11.so.1
sudo ln -s /usr/lib32/libva-glx.so.1.3600.0 /usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/libva-glx.so.1
sudo ln -s /usr/lib32/libva.so.1.3600.0 /usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/libva-so.1

I don't have /usr/lib32/dri/i965_drv_video.so, /usr/lib32/libva-x11.so.1.3600.0, /usr/lib32/libva-glx.so.1.3600.0 or /usr/lib32/libva.so.1.3600.0.

I only have

Quote: /usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/libva-x11.so.1 which is a symlink to /usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/libva-x11.so.1.3800

/usr/lib32 doesn't seem to contain anything Intel related.

I need hardware decoding, otherwise I have a lot more input lag. Streaming snes9x from my Windows box upstairs is unplayable. Mario jumps a second after I press the button (and the controller is synced to the windows box itself).
CoreElec on a tn95 (s905x). Onkyo NR-656. Canton Movie CD-1000. LG 55B6V.

If it ain't broke: break it, fix it, repeat
Has anyone had any luck getting power management to work with Kodi and Steam/Steam Launcher in Linux? Kodi's native power management doesn't notice when I'm playing games in Steam, and either does caffeine or xscreensaver. None of these power management programs recognize the controller's input, which would be the logical first step to good power management.

I leave Kodi running in the background when Steam in Big Picture Mode (BPM), since it doesn't cause any audio issues. And when I exit Steam, I select "Exit to desktop" which keeps Steam running in the background. My system uses Ubuntu 15.04 with the Lubuntu desktop (similar to Kodibuntu) and my controller is an xbox wireless 360 gamepad. When computer goes to sleep/shutdown it turn the gamepad's receiver off, which is not ideal since I don't have a mouse and keyboard on my HTPC.

Is there any way to get my system to suspend when I'm not playing a game or watching a movie?
Bouncing around this thread, I'm more confused than ever about how to set up what I want to set up.

Running Ubuntu 14.04, I’d like to have separate sessions for desktop, kodi and steam, with an appliance feel. Ideally, the PC boots and logs in automatically to kodi. I could then launch steam from the addon in its own session and then exit back to kodi without being sent to the greeter for a password – all this using only mce remote or 360 controller. And quitting kodi would send me to the greeter to manually log in to the desktop if need be.

First, is this doable? I tried a couple of different installs, like steamos and kodibuntu but managing pulseaudio defeated me (using a gt430 for now). Ubuntu for me had sound out of the gate for all three sessions, but I’m confused on how to jump between them and what to put in my xsessions files and lightdm.conf and for which users. Fiddling around with dm-tool, I kept getting bounced back to the greeter.

Thanks in advance for any guidance.
  • 56(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[RELEASE] Steam Launcher - Start Steam Big Picture Mode from within Kodi7