• 57(current)
[RELEASE] Steam Launcher - Start Steam Big Picture Mode from within Kodi
I kinda have what you're after - kodi boots to and runs in its own session. If kodi is quit or crashes it simply restarts. Running the steam add-on quits thekodi session and starts a session with openbox and steam bpm ontop, if I exit steam to desktop kodi runs ontop of openbox too - the openbox session is ended when I completely quit steam, then the kodi session is launched. Same goes for a Firefox add-on that I have. Also I have another add-on to launch just the open box desktop with no applications running. See here for more info
http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=...pid1584693
Thanks, teeedubb, I'll give that a shot.

What also seems to work is installing the steamos session, making it the default auto login, and then adding kodi as a non-steam game. Dead simple to set up. The only catch is that the mce remote is not set up by default to navigate bpm to get to kodi, something I'll have to look in to. Can you auto start a game lol?
Followed this guide to a T. Steams working great but now my kodi just goes to sleep all the time. Can be watching TV then poof! No signal... I can then wake it with keyboard and all resumes fine. But I dont typically have keyboard attached so this is not ideal... cant find any power saving settings and kodis power saving settings are disabled.

to add insult to injury my net is down till a tech fixes the line so I have just a phone to try and find a fix.. any ideas are appreciated

Edit: running kodibuntu 15 (followed the kodibuntu guide)
Hello all, sorry if that was already asked and described, but I cannot find any info how to add Steam to the main screen. Could someone help me to understand how to add games (or Steam) to the main Kodi menu?
I have installed the plugin. Thanks!
@brendansound try whats in this post http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=...pid2033452

@42mind depends on what skin youre using
(2015-08-01, 13:20)42mind Wrote: Hello all, sorry if that was already asked and described, but I cannot find any info how to add Steam to the main screen. Could someone help me to understand how to add games (or Steam) to the ma in Kodi menu?
I have installed the plugin. Thanks!

Hey bud, if you're running the default skin you need to go to:
>settings
>Appearence
>Skin

you want the addon shortcuts tab, add steam under programs tab
(2015-08-01, 13:48)teeedubb Wrote: @brendansound try whats in this post http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=...pid2033452

@42mind depends on what skin youre using

Haha yeah thanks man, I read through 50 something pages of posts before realizing that post 2 pages back...keep in mind im using my phone to fix this too -_-

I found in kodibuntu 15 there is no longer xorg.conf so trying to find a way to make one I found this tip
2nd post

but that did something baddd because when I restarted openbox loaded with no kodi. And right clicking my black desktop and starting kodi just tries to load, poops itself and dumps me to login screen or openbox.

Removing the xorg.conf file let me have kodi back.

I see someone else on that page suggested playing with my nvidia settings but im too scared ill break it doing that
(2015-08-01, 13:48)teeedubb Wrote: @42mind depends on what skin youre using

(2015-08-01, 13:50)brendansound Wrote: Hey bud, if you're running the default skin you need to go to:
>settings
>Appearence
>Skin

you want the addon shortcuts tab, add steam under programs tab

Great! Thank you guys.
The Steam Launcher addon really rocks, it works really well and I love my HTPC a lot more thanks to Steam Launcher. Big Grin

Unfortunately I have some configuration preferences interfering with each other:

- Steam Launcher is configured to minimize Kodi, because to quit Kodi would turn off the TV (CEC).

- Kodi is configured to shutdown after 30mins of idle. Therefore after 30mins ingame, Kodi triggers the shutdown and the machine turns off.

I thought this could be worked around by running a pre- and post-steam script (disable the idle-shutdown before Steam, and enable it post Steam).

The List of built-in functions shows InhibitIdleShutdown(true/false) and AllowIdleShutdown could fit this purpose.

But to me it looks like these functions are not accessible from the JSON-RPC API. There is a namespace Settings (Allows manipulation of Kodi settings), but I can't see any methods listed.

Any idea how I can execute these built-in functions from a pre-/post-steam script?
Is there maybe a better way I can keep the idle-shutdown enabled and still run Steam longer than the idle-shutdown time?
Can now confirm after a few hours of testing.. If anyone has problems with Kodi going to sleep on them. If you have an nvidia card just run
Code:
nvidia-xconfig
as sudo. This will create an xorg.conf file under /etc/X11 all you gotta do is open it ie:
Code:
sudo nano /etc/X11/xorg.conf

ServerLayout should be there.. just add the options so it looks more likeSadjust add. Dont remove anything)
Code:
Section "ServerLayout"
                Identifier "ServerLayout0"
                Option "StandbyTime" "0"
                Option "SuspendTime" "0"
                Option "OffTime" "0"
                Option "BlankTime" "0"
EndSection

Many thanks to teeedubb, love your work mate.
@Graff you can set the idle timer via jsonrpc, search for "powermanagement.shutdowntime" in this page http://pastebin.com/RVvBjrfp
Also you could try suspending the kodi process like what's described here http://unix.stackexchange.com/questions/...-processes

@brendansound cheers I'll add that to the guide - I'm not sure if something has changed in kodibuntu or whether I just never had it running for long enough to encounter that issue.
No worries, just happy if I help at least one person out.

Teeedubb I tried to pm you (here seemed inappropriate) but it wont let me. Just wanted to know if you ever had a spare moment would you consider writting a more noobie friendly guide for RCB & setting it up with retroarch or whatever emulator people are using? Or even just a rough overview.

I am very lost and the guide for RCB is written for a windows system. Tried the RCB thread with no luck. Your guides are very easy to understand. Id be very appreciative of any help.. and maybe itll help somene else.
nevermind that for now.. seems iv broken my rig again following this guide https://github.com/ProfessorKaos64/RetroRig

/usr/bin/kodi is no longer.. seems retrorig installed xbmc and maybe wiped my kodi install.. I'll be sulking in a corner if anyone needs me
Sorry I can't be of much help with rcb - I've switched from rcb to advance launcher and now I've settled on hyperspin with rocketlauncher - the ROM sets and art work packs make it easy to have everything looking great and ticket launcher is really cool. Ill probably switch to retrofe once it matures a bit it looks really promising and is Linux compatible too.
(2015-08-03, 04:12)teeedubb Wrote: Sorry I can't be of much help with rcb - I've switched from rcb to advance launcher and now I've settled on hyperspin with rocketlauncher - the ROM sets and art work packs make it easy to have everything looking great and ticket launcher is really cool. Ill probably switch to retrofe once it matures a bit it looks really promising and is Linux compatible too.

Trying out advanced launcher at the moment.. Seems to be more documentation available on making it work but still can't for the life of me figure out how to point advanced launcher to the right file (Is it the "retroarch" file .. is it the "snesx9" file.. and if so.. which one?, what extension does it have?, and where about is it?

I feel I'm getting somewhere slowly with it but when i go to launch games it just wont launch.. Presumably because its not pointed at correct executable. This is where windows is nice (i understand it a lot more) But I'm learning and nearly got a perfect little TV/Game rig for the lounge room.
  • 57(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[RELEASE] Steam Launcher - Start Steam Big Picture Mode from within Kodi7