• 59(current)
[RELEASE] Steam Launcher - Start Steam Big Picture Mode from within Kodi
hello..

first of all thanks for your great steam launcher..

I have an issue with win10 upgrade.. after the upgrade it seems my Kodi + Steam profile have a problem.. I have setup a local account ( Kodi ) beside my Microsoft account. I also have setup the Kodi account to automatically launch Kodi by replacing the shell ( Kodi.exe <> explorer.exe ).

Using this way, I can have seamlessly open Kodi on my PC ( my current PC is hooked to My TV and Monitor ). I have set the Kodi to display to the TV. This setup works well. And I also setup the Steam to also set the TV as my primary monitor when ever it is in BPM. The thing is, whenever I launch Steam Launcher, and then exit Steam ( closing Steam ), it seems that Kodi will launch on my PC monitor instead of TV. Even the primary monitor is the PC Monitor ( I have setup Steam to launch on my TV ). This setup did not fail in Win8.1 before I did the upgrade,
Hi Big Grin Thanks for this awesome plugin.

I have one issue though, and it's messing up my games.
Steam is always being launched at 1280x720 and even if I changed the resolution through the BPM display settings and it relaunches at 720p.
Is there any way I can change it to my native resolution? (1080p)

Thank you ahead of time.

P.S . I have W8.1
@beavermml maybe a post-steam script or modifications to the ahk script to set the default monitor.

@Altri if bpm's resolution isn't being saved it sounds like a steam issue... Maybe a reinstall. Or look to see if there are command line switches to force a certain resolution.
teeedubb: Thanks for the awesome plugin.

There seems to be a bug however in the way your plugin launches Steam with regard to saving UI settings (and controller mappings). If I start Steam normally from Lubuntu (running Kodibuntu latest), the controller mappings are remembered correctly and all is well in the world.

However when launching Steam from the plugin, I have to re-map the controller each time as it does not save when Steam is exited. If I just "Return to Desktop" after the first launch, this works as a workaround until reboot. This is reproducible in both in lubuntu and openbox sessions. I'd say it was a permissions issue but it seems to write the mappings (as it instantly worked when I tested in a Lubuntu session without having mapped it there before) however it just cannot read them on launch?

I'm afraid I can't provide much more than that without being lead by the nose, I'm only now returning to linux/xbmc after a long absence.

Edit: FYI, I'm using a PS3 controller correctly set up, trusted and paired with sixad - not a 360 controller (yet! That's staying attached to the gaming PC for the time being!)
Is there a way to open Steam in normal mode with this plugin? Without Big Picture Mode I mean?

I'm asking this because BPM is causing quite a hit on the FPS of my games on an Intel NUC with In Home Streaming, disabling it makes games run much faster.

I'm on Ubuntu 14.04.
Running games through in-home streaming is probably the bigger problem there.. Iv not had very much luck with it myself and resorted to downloading games
on the server which has been far better.

I don't know exactly how to help you but until someone much better than me comes along. With my limited programming knowledge...It looks like the script you
want is
Code:
nano ~/.config/openbox/steam-bpm.sh

And edit:

Code:
#!/bin/bash

if [[ $(pidof steam) ]] ; then
    steam steam://open/bigpicture
else
    steam -bigpicture
fi

to:

Code:
#!/bin/bash

if [[ $(pidof steam) ]] ; then
    steam steam://open
else
    steam
fi

Worst case scenario it does not work.. and you just revert changes.
I don't seem to have an openbox folder in there (/home/coen/.config), nano just opens an empty page it seems?

(2015-08-27, 02:05)brendansound Wrote: <snip>

I don't know exactly how to help you but until someone much better than me comes along. With my limited programming knowledge...It looks like the script you
want is
Code:
nano ~/.config/openbox/steam-bpm.sh

<snip>
(2015-08-27, 10:06)coendeurloo Wrote: I don't seem to have an openbox folder in there (/home/coen/.config), nano just opens an empty page it seems?

ah.. Something i probably should have asked in the first place.. which guide exactly did you follow? I'm on kodibuntu so my instructions may
have varied to yours.. nevertheless should be able to figure it out for you.
Change the steam-launch.sh script (instructions in the first post) to something like:

Code:
#!/bin/bash
killall -9 kodi.bin
steam
kodi
Expat: I've tried to reproduce the problem on linux mint without success, though I have only tried with a wired 360 controller and in steam there is no option to configure it in steam. I did change steam's resolution and that was used when launching it via the addon. Where did you install steam from?
(2015-08-27, 21:34)teeedubb Wrote: Change the steam-launch.sh script (instructions in the first post) to something like:

Code:
#!/bin/bash
killall -9 kodi.bin
steam
kodi

Thanks for the reply. Should I delete all code in that script and paste in that code or should I replace a specific part?

I can't seem to find the specific instructions in the first post.
I'm giving Kodi a try for the first time since back in the day when it ran on my Xbox and had a different name, and this is great, thanks.

Unrelated, but now it makes me think that a similar addon for opening up the Xbox streaming app in Windows 10 needs to happen now. Big Grin
coendeurloo replace the entire script with that.
Thanks for the plugin.
I'm running Debian sid with Kodi 15.2. It was triggered via xinit in the systemd service. kodi-standalone.
Everything works great with Kodi.

So, now to add Steam.
Installed package and required i386 libs. All ok.

Added repo and installed plugin.
Off the bat it couldn't find wmctrl so I installed one.
Then no window manager so installed openbox openbox-menu.

It loads Steam in big picture mode using a large rectangle in the middle of the screen, it doesn't go full screen.
I've tried doing the full tmp file process outlined here: http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=...pid1584693
But I get the same result.
I had to replace some of the xbmc commands for kodi but otherwise I can't see any real difference.
Unfortunately using the full tmp file process, it restarts kodi a couple of times and I lose the log.
I can revert if better?

I'm tempted to try the LightDM method someone else did here but it looks old using XBMC name instead of Kodi. http://modok.ca/getting-steam-and-kodi-to-play-nice/
Any other suggestions?

----- UPDATE -----

Ok, so I removed the kodi.service systemd.
Installed lightdm.
Started an openbox session and started steam.

So I'll pursue this for a bit with auto-login into openbox, then launching kodi by default.... then revisit the steam launcher.
Probably with this guy: Steam Launcher + KODIbuntu v14 - http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=...pid1919154

--- FINISHED WORKING ---

Wow, so added the extra programs to openbox menu.
Added the steam-BPM.sh script.
Loaded Kodi back up and set addon back to defaults.
Started Steam and it ran in BPM without issues.
All go. Way better setup then my old "no DM, no openbox, Kodi only install" Big Grin
Thanks very much.
(2015-08-29, 03:57)teeedubb Wrote: Expat: I've tried to reproduce the problem on linux mint without success, though I have only tried with a wired 360 controller and in steam there is no option to configure it in steam. I did change steam's resolution and that was used when launching it via the addon. Where did you install steam from?

teeedubb: I installed steam using wget steamlatest.deb, etc. from your guide. I have reproduced the error now on two installs of Kodibuntu. Strangely, I've now configured my xbox 360 wireless controller as player 2 and it retains all control with no issue.

It's purely in openbox that anything OTHER than a X360 controller, Steam seems to forget the bindings for it - I think it's more an Openbox issue than anything to do with your stuff, sadly, but I am too inexperienced/out of date with linux to be able to resolve this.

My next step is simply to emulate a 360 controller with the PS3 controller, which is far from ideal as all my emulators are already set up and working brilliantly with the PS3 natively (using sixpair). Sigh.
  • 59(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[RELEASE] Steam Launcher - Start Steam Big Picture Mode from within Kodi7