[RELEASE] Steam Launcher - Start Steam Big Picture Mode from within Kodi

Thread Rating:
  • 7 Vote(s) - 4.43 Average
teeedubb Offline
Donor
Unfortunately this addon in its current state will never get into the official repo as it contains a executable file (a pre-compiled AHK script) which is against the official repo rules. I have thought about making a version that doesn't include the pre-compiled AHK script, but that would require the user to have AHK installed, but that would require a similar level of user interaction as installing my repo, so I don't see the point.

I have uploaded to the addon to uRepo which seems like a middle ground between the official repo and my personal repo.
find quote
Dragen Offline
Using your repo still works, right?

I make set posters! (I also take requests)
find quote
maestro0 Offline
(2017-02-10 11:57)HediSIX Wrote:  Thanks teeedubb.

I have tried yesterday, here is the result:
- the batch file is working as expected (when I run it Kodi restarts),
- I have updated the plugin from your repo and added the link to the batch file for restart Kodi Under the addon settings.
- Now I don't have the error anymore when I close the addon setting page,
- However the problem I am facing now is when I start the addon, nothings happen (I can see Kodi is trying to load the addon but that's it) Big picture do not start.

I will try again tonight and post the debug.

+1
(This post was last modified: 2017-02-17 18:28 by maestro0.)
find quote
sherl0k Offline
I'm also seeing nothing happen when launching the app. I think these lines in the error log are relevant?

ERROR: Control 61 in window 10147 has been asked to focus, but it can't
WARNING: Attempt to use invalid handle -1
WARNING: Previous line repeats 2 times.
ERROR: Control 61 in window 10147 has been asked to focus, but it can't

also, this launcher is eerily similar to the BigBox launcher (down to the same types of options menu).
(This post was last modified: 2017-02-17 18:49 by sherl0k.)
find quote
sherl0k Offline
I've found a solution that doesn't require this plugin, http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=287826 works as well. I have a batch file I tell it to execute: "C:\Program Files\Steam\Steam.exe" -start steam://open/bigpicture" and it launches Steam in BPM if Steam isn't running in the background ; if it is, BPM is put in the foreground.
find quote
Deucehearts Offline
Its similar because the user that created the BigBox launcher used the SteamAddon as their baseline essentially. They admitted as much over in the LaunchBox forums.
find quote
teeedubb Offline
Donor
@dragen yeah my repo will still be the main source. uRepo seems like a nice middle ground between the official repo and my personal repo.

@all thanks to @HediSIX we have been able to work out what the issue is and why we were seeing discrepancies (xbmc.translatepath doesnt work properly in Kodi UWP + the kod userdata folder location depends on how kodi was originally installed). I have begun updating the addon to work with Kodi UWP, but I have been busy with other stuff. In the meantime you can copy the scripts from the Kodi UWP userdata location to the downloaded Kodi userdata location (thats where kodi UWP resolves its userdata folder as being):

Code:
xcopy %LOCALAPPDATA%\Packages\XBMCFoundation.Kodi_4n2hpmxwrvr6p\LocalCache\Roaming\Kod​i\addons\script.steam.launcher\resources\scripts %APPDATA%\Kodi\userdata\addon_data\script.steam.launcher\scripts

And use the batch file in this post to launch Kodi.

@sherl0k that will launch Steam, but it will simply run it ontop of kodi, which has given me troubles in the past - kodi accepting controller inputs and focus issues when bmp is exited.
(This post was last modified: 2017-02-18 01:15 by teeedubb.)
find quote
maestro0 Offline
(2017-02-18 01:05)teeedubb Wrote:  @dragen yeah my repo will still be the main source. uRepo seems like a nice middle ground between the official repo and my personal repo.

@all thanks to @HediSIX we have been able to work out what the issue is and why we were seeing discrepancies (xbmc.translatepath doesnt work properly in Kodi UWP + the kod userdata folder location depends on how kodi was originally installed). I have begun updating the addon to work with Kodi UWP, but I have been busy with other stuff. In the meantime you can copy the scripts from the Kodi UWP userdata location to the downloaded Kodi userdata location (thats where kodi UWP resolves its userdata folder as being):

Code:
xcopy %LOCALAPPDATA%\Packages\XBMCFoundation.Kodi_4n2hpmxwrvr6p\LocalCache\Roaming\Kod​i\addons\script.steam.launcher\resources\scripts %APPDATA%\Kodi\userdata\addon_data\script.steam.launcher\scripts

And use the batch file in this post to launch Kodi.

@sherl0k that will launch Steam, but it will simply run it ontop of kodi, which has given me troubles in the past - kodi accepting controller inputs and focus issues when bmp is exited.

I'm sorry but where do i put this script?
find quote
teeedubb Offline
Donor
The command above is run in windows command prompt. the bat file can go anywhere, you just need to choose it as the kodi executable in the addon settings.
find quote