AMD A6-3500 based HTPC
Must admit I will be out of my comfort zone actually putting together a HTPC from scratch.
But it is what I set out to do... Can any of you please give comments on the set up below?

amd a6-3500 APU -- processor (supports ddr3 1866)
ASrock a75m ITX -- motherboard (supports ddr3 1866 - 2400)
ThermalTake ElementQ -- case
WD Green WD20EARX 2TB -- drive
LG BluRay writer -- dvd
4GB Corsair DDR3@2000 -- memory
Wireless keyboard+mouse -- for on the couch

I can find these things online for just under €400 which looks like a good deal.

For watching movies the A6 integrated graphics unit sounds ideal, and the CPU more than covers the need for movies/songs.

One thing that is a bit unclear is cooling. The Element Q case is described as 'fanless' and has power regulation built in etc, does that mean an (extra) fan for the processor is not required? The description of the case does not mention heatsinks etc where other fanless cases (Streacom EVO FC8 etc) do. It'll be cheap and easy to put in, but I like the idea of no fan (noise).

Thanks for your suggestions.
The Thermaltake Element Q is the same chassis with a different PSU and different facade as the Apex MI-008 so you can set this up the same way as the Apex MI-008 builds you see on here. You definitely need the CPU cooler and most people add a slow RPM 120mm fan. There is also a fan in the power supply.

See here: http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid...#pid905969
and here: http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid...#pid815705

I too have done this in the Rosewill RS-MI-01 BK (another version of the same chassis) and it works well. The fan just snaps in with a little gentle bending of the top rail.

You can also replace the power supply with a picoPSU-90 if you want to make it even quieter.

This is probably the marketing blurb you are reading as "fanless"

"Fanless Ventilation Featuring fanless design and enough perforations in the panel, the Thermaltake VL52021N2U mini-ITX case provides a quieter environment, better power conservation and efficient ventilation."

All that means is they don't give you a case fan Smile.
Just because the system is fan-less doesn't mean the processor doesn't need a fan. I can almost guarantee you if you ran that system without a fan on the CPU it would be fried extremely quickly. The stock heat sink and fan will be sufficient in keeping it cool - and it will produce little if any noise.
HTPC - i3-3240 Processor | Asus P8H77-I Mobo | 8 GB PC3 12800 DDR3 | 60 GB SSD | Windows 8.1 w/ XBMC Frodo
NAS Server - Dual Xeon E5440 Quad Core | 32 GB DDR2 ECC | 4 X 2TB Western Digital RED | RAIDz | FreeNAS
You'll find a lot of nice looking passive cooling cases in this site- Streacom Chassis...
>Alienware X51- do it all HTPC
>Simplify XBMC configurations
>HOW-TO Bitstreaming using XBMC
I refused to watch movie without bitstreaming HD audio!
thanks for the advice guys!

just an extra fan then probably, and a reader not a burner. that will be it :)

there were good stories about that picopsu90, but is 90w enough?
if the cpu alone pulls 65w that seems a bit lean?

the original will do for now, if the whole fanless thing turns out to be a market pitch..

cheers
(2013-02-26, 22:41)alle_meije Wrote: thanks for the advice guys!

just an extra fan then probably, and a reader not a burner. that will be it Smile

there were good stories about that picopsu90, but is 90w enough?
if the cpu alone pulls 65w that seems a bit lean?

the original will do for now, if the whole fanless thing turns out to be a market pitch..

cheers
It's not a market pitch.....if you use one of the fanless case from the link above, you can build a fanless HTPC. You can buy pre-built fanless HTPC too......here are a few fanless HTPC's- my-MediaCentre 3D Fanless HTPC, Simply the best fanless mini-pc, Fanless HTPC.......
>Alienware X51- do it all HTPC
>Simplify XBMC configurations
>HOW-TO Bitstreaming using XBMC
I refused to watch movie without bitstreaming HD audio!

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
AMD A6-3500 based HTPC0