• 8(current)
Deleting Posts - A Users Questions
@Abrasher: I knew that. But it was just about how other people will read things. What's clear for some, might be not so clear for others. Much of it has to do with the context (given)

If the intentions of Hub are the way you and some developers say, I don't see much wrong with it. The only thing that does trouble many people, is the communication on the website and in other forums. I have had my fair share of such 'bad communication' too and thanks to Kibje I learned a few lessons about how I can tell 'just the truth' but it can be looking offending to others because of the way I said it Smile You may not see problems with the current presentation of Hub, but if so many other do I think it is worth it to listen to them.

A sweater can be dark blue but if most people will see it as black, you might as well accept it is not the blue the label states and buy a new blue sweater those people see as blue

Intentions & Impressions, both are too vague too soon Sad

ps. this whole topic is one giant "lesson in how (not) to communicate" for a lot of people Big Grin Maybe Kibje can give a masterclass soon hahaha
pps. For other examples of good intention but really bad communication have a look at some fights Linus (from Linux) started. 'Many people' see 'some of his posts' as an example of such.
Well, this seems to have blown up - yet again.

I just wanted to show you - Abrasher - from my personal (and professional) POV how I think that you might be broadcasting a different message than you intent to. - I was not seeking fault, and I am sorry if that is what you read into it.

In my job I have to deal with 'user expectation' quite often and something I learned through that is that the average Joe doesn't read and doesn't understand - which is what prompted my explanation.

If I was the website owner of your website I would make extremely sure that everybody who as much as glanced at my website would know
"this is an unofficial website where i can get unofficial addons for the software made at/by the XBMC team at xbmc.org".
Ideally the name would not even reference the original product, but - well - that is in the past now.
Your response indicates that you did not get what I was getting at, which is too bad.

I was speaking out of personal experience as I was in a similar situation myself when I started booxusers.com- an unoffical support site for Boox e-readers. (which obviously is a lot smaller as xbmchub.org, but was huge during a few weeks in 2009)

Sorry again, I am just trying to help you out here.

Quote:@kibje, I personally don't think some of these are too far fetched (although I'm not sure anyone actually reads that thing lol). It's something we should discuss internally as I think it's wavering close to the line of what's on topic here.
Sorry about that,
I just got the idea Abrasher did not get why some people here expressed they felt that way and was reacting to the words and not the spirit of what was said. - I guess I am a bit of a mediator by nature.
agree with Kibje
average Joe would never find what is what, as majority of people do not read small prints or disclaimers or any kind of legal information.
average Joe would always see only big XBMC at the top
IT ACTUALLY STATES IN BIG LETTERS

XBMCHUB

THIRD PARTY ADDONS

i really dont get how unclear that is

*sigh mikey
I give up.
Amet it's no way in any vain to be disrespectful to anyone or xbmc

It does say third party addons

I'll give you am example I told my friend to download xbmc and install one of my plugins

I told him just search mikey1234 and you'll find my posts

After about half hour of texting to and throw he eventually rung me saying he couldn't find any of my addons on forum.xbmc

I laughed only because of this debate

He is a normal joe public and he went to the correct place to get the information he needed right here on the org

I obviously had to redirect him lol

So he didn't get confused infact he said he saw the hub and thought as it was for just third party plugins he did t bother going on it

Lol
Righto, this thread has clearly run it's course. Thanks for everyone for taking part in what has (for the most part) being a reasonably civil discussion.

In order to round it out back to the original topic of the thread:

The XBMC team does not routinely delete threads, other than spam. We did delete one which was a mistake. We've apologised, and the thread is now reopen.

Cheers,
Jonathan
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

• 8(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Deleting Posts - A Users Questions0