Is the ARCTIC MC001 right for me?
I am looking at building my second HTPC. My first was an ASUS AT3N7A-I Atom 330 machine. I had/have problems with it playing 720p or above. I was so amazed when I saw how powerful my Raspberry Pi was compared to the ASUS.

But I have started to need more than the Pi can provide. The main features I need are:
  1. Silent/near silent operation
  2. Amazon Streaming (will require Windows I know)
  3. Netflix Streaming (will require Windows I know)
  4. 1080p MKV network streaming
  5. Fast forward / EDL support

Optional is CEC support. I really like being able to use one remote for the TV and XBMC, but chances are anything that solves the above problems will is worth upgrading remote.

The Arctic really looks nice, and the silent operation works well since this will be in a bedroom, but I had so much trouble with the ASUS that I am little scared in my next purchase.

The...
For the asus... are you sure you set it up correctly? I also have an Aton 330 / Nvidia ION combo and it can do 720p and 1080p with no problems... Maybe you didn't enable VDPAU / GPU Hardware acceleration? Your current mobo should be better in every area than the Pi, and nearly everybody will agree with that.
For the ASUS I first had a problem with the fan being too loud (link), not the end of the world, just annoying. As for VDPAU, it orginally was supported for windows (link).

But I will double check my settings now that you mention it.

Either way I need to purchase a new HTPC for the bedroom with the above mentioned specs. Anyone know if the Arctic MC001 is right for me?

Thanks

The...
Well, on Windows I think it is called DXVA2. This may help:

http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=HOW...or_Windows

As for the Arctic, I believe it has no fans, so it will be much quieter or even silent (with an SSD) and it supports HD audio (windows only). The Processor should be a bit faster than the Atom 330, and the GPU should also be a little faster, but even so, I'm sure it's worth to change.. Also, since you didn't get the Asus to work correctly, chances are that you won't get the Arctic to work correctly.

Besides, do Amazon and Netflix support HW acceleration? If not, you won't be able to play HD through them with the Atom, keep that in mind.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Is the ARCTIC MC001 right for me?0