Bought some hardware for xbmc
Thumbs Up 
Hello all,
I've bought some hardware for my xbmc build but I have some questions, for now I have i3 3225 CPU and Gigabyte Z77N-WIFI Bluetooth mobo and logitech z906 optical input 5.1 dts dobly digital sound system (i live in apartment flat so can't open volume up so much) so my question about the rest of hardware Big Grin

4 or 8 gb RAM ?
Do I need SSD HDD or any sata hdd will be ok, I don't have NAS so even if I have SSD i'm going to need 2tb sata hdd ??
what PSU will be ok ? I'm going to build my own case from plexy glass I want to have slim case which looks like sound receiver I'm thinking to add knob for volume front side of the case.

and about OS to use ?? I want to watch 3d movies, 1080p movies and also web surfing with flash and html5 support.

ps. sorry for my english.
4 GB will be fine for your build, 8 GB is recommended - especially if you will be running the system off of Windows 7 or 8. A Linux build doesn't have as large a memory footprint that Windows does. As for a HDD, it doesnt matter if its an SSD drive or conventional HDD. Either will work but a speed increase will be noticed in a SSD. That said, they are rather small and expensive when you get into the larger 250 GB / 512 GB models. You might as well pick up a 2 or 3 TB conventional HDD and use that for your OS and media storage until you build a NAS box (if that's the route you are going to go). I believe your board has the new UEFI BIOS which supports booting off drives larger than 3 TB if formatted in GPT for Windows.

If you do go for a second hard drive for your media, make sure its eSATA or USB 3.0. Do not use USB 2.0. as it cant keep up with the speed requirements for larger media files.
HTPC - i3-3240 Processor | Asus P8H77-I Mobo | 8 GB PC3 12800 DDR3 | 60 GB SSD | Windows 8.1 w/ XBMC Frodo
NAS Server - Dual Xeon E5440 Quad Core | 32 GB DDR2 ECC | 4 X 2TB Western Digital RED | RAIDz | FreeNAS
(2013-02-26, 11:40)eCCoMaNia Wrote: 4 or 8 gb RAM ?
Do I need SSD HDD or any sata hdd will be ok,
4gb of RAM is more than enough for Windows plus Frodo. You don't need SSD for HTPC. Playback quality are the same.......you'll gain a little bit of bootup time and snappier menu with SSD though....

(2013-02-26, 11:40)eCCoMaNia Wrote: and about OS to use ?? I want to watch 3d movies, 1080p movies and also web surfing with flash and html5 support.

Windows.....
>Alienware X51- do it all HTPC
>Simplify XBMC configurations
>HOW-TO Bitstreaming using XBMC
I refused to watch movie without bitstreaming HD audio!
Thumbs Up 
(2013-02-26, 19:04)sapper6fd Wrote: 4 GB will be fine for your build, 8 GB is recommended - especially if you will be running the system off of Windows 7 or 8. A Linux build doesn't have as large a memory footprint that Windows does. As for a HDD, it doesnt matter if its an SSD drive or conventional HDD. Either will work but a speed increase will be noticed in a SSD. That said, they are rather small and expensive when you get into the larger 250 GB / 512 GB models. You might as well pick up a 2 or 3 TB conventional HDD and use that for your OS and media storage until you build a NAS box (if that's the route you are going to go). I believe your board has the new UEFI BIOS which supports booting off drives larger than 3 TB if formatted in GPT for Windows.

If you do go for a second hard drive for your media, make sure its eSATA or USB 3.0. Do not use USB 2.0. as it cant keep up with the speed requirements for larger media files.

(2013-02-26, 19:39)bluray Wrote:
(2013-02-26, 11:40)eCCoMaNia Wrote: 4 or 8 gb RAM ?
Do I need SSD HDD or any sata hdd will be ok,
4gb of RAM is more than enough for Windows plus Frodo. You don't need SSD for HTPC. Playback quality are the same.......you'll gain a little bit of bootup time and snappier menu with SSD though....

(2013-02-26, 11:40)eCCoMaNia Wrote: and about OS to use ?? I want to watch 3d movies, 1080p movies and also web surfing with flash and html5 support.

Windows.....
thanks guys for help, so going to buy normal sata hdd and 4gb of RAM and when I build my case I will share photoes for my build.

for OS i will use windows 7 64 bit

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Bought some hardware for xbmc0