pvr options, uk freesat hd.
I have a freesat box at the moment linked to a sky dish with dual lnb's, i'm looking to "retire" the freesat box and use pvr in xbmc.

i have two options for the "backend", both are mac mini's , a 2011 running osx 10.8.2 and a 2012 bootcamped running win7 64 bit home ultimate.

the windows machine hosts my mysql database for sharing my music and video library to my other boxes around the house and is also the main xbmc based unit in the living room connected to my tv and surround sound system (bootcamped it to get hd-audio passthrough capability).

the osx mac mini hosts a filemaker server and handles email for my brothers small business and as such is already constantly on 24/7, would i need a separate instance of mysql running on this box and what kind of cpu load would a backend put on the system.

would i be better off using the windows machine or the os x machine ? , i really want to have a dual tuner setup that is hd compatible with uk freesat channels, bearing in mind that because of both the windows and osx machines being based on mac mini it would have to be a usb device.

both minis are gigabit ethernet connected to a switch so there is no issues with network bandwidth.

what about epg also (obviously dependent on which machine is going to be the backend), does this cost anything or is there a good free version around ?

i have a spare 2gb usb hard drive that can be called on for recording storage.

hopefully i have covered all relevant questions and provided enough hardware/software information for someone to give me some advice, bearing in mind that what i know about pvr would barely fill a thimble.

i'm running frodo on the main unit and on all other xbmc boxes around the house.
I'm contemplating something similar to this but I'm really struggling to find a dual DVB-S2 USB tuner. I've searched all over the place, and it looks more likely that I'll have to get 2 USB single tuners instead and hope I can get that working.

They're going to be hooked up to an Acer Revo, so using a Dual PCIe card is out of the questions due to lack of room for such a card.

If you happen to find a supplier of DVB-S2 USB tuners then please let me know as I'd love to know where to get one from!

From what I understand, XBMC acts as a front end to the likes of NextPVR (on Windows) and various other PVR software depending on your OS of choice. NextPVR handles talks directly to the tuner(s) and handles episodes guides, recording and so in the background, and XBMC talks to NextPVR (or whatever software you're using). In theory, the EPG that NextPVR updates will be good enough to cover all UK FreeSat channels, and XBMC "sees" that.

But someone with a bit more knowledge (and an actual setup) might be able to answer more fully...this is just from what I've read on the subject.

EDIT: NextPVR (and its EPG) is free.
As none of the more knowledgeable guys haven't answered I will have a go.

Firstly software... XBMC front-end can run on various platforms so that's really your preference. The back-end software depends on what OS you are running.

sparklyballs... I know nothing about Macs but as you have a working Win7 machine (kind-of), I would recommend trying MediaPortal as your back-end software. Do the full set-up. The reason why I choose Media-Portal is that some-one has created a slightly hacked version which can add all the Sky Channels including Genres (i.e entertainment, sport, news etc...) at practically a touch of the button. It makes this the quickest install that I know of. It also does FreeSat channels.

If you use this... first install the real MediaPortal and then the modified version after.
Normal link;
http://www.team-mediaportal.com/mediaportal-download

Here is a link to the modified version including instructions.
http://forum.team-mediaportal.com/thread...ber.96767/

I use 1.3.0. I haven't noticed any issues with it.

JesusOnEez .... The back-end basically does all the work. It tunes to the channels, it creates the egp data, it stores the channels and groups etc... You set it all up via the back-end. XBMC connects to the back-end, and uses the back-end to tune to the TV. If you have tried NextPVR, then you also must be on Windows. I also recommend you try MediaPortal.

I used to use NextPVR back when it was called GBPVR. Its a great low resource program and if you don't think Mediaportal is for you, then I don't see why it wouldn't work.

USB DVB-S2 tuners. There are 3 brands that I can think of. The best in my humble opinion is PCTV 460e.
http://www.pctvsystems.com/Products/Prod...fault.aspx
I have one. I always get a good signal.

The other 2 brands are TBS
http://www.tbsdtv.com/products/
I have a TBS 5890. I do not recommend this. Signal quality is less good than the PCTV, it runs hot and if you decide to go down the Linux route, there are issues (that I have found at least)

And the other brand I know of:
http://www.tevii.com/products_s660_1.asp
I can't comment about this one as I've not tried it.

The PCTV is the dearest of them at around £80. All can be picked up from Ebay or Amazon.

Hope the info is useful. Smile
-----------------------------------
Front End: Asrock ION 3D running OpenElec - Backend: Dedicated server Running Ubuntu with TBS 6981 DVB-S2 USB
There are many happy mythtv users in the UK so contemplate that as a backend solution Smile
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
(2013-02-28, 03:29)bluewizard Wrote: JesusOnEez .... The back-end basically does all the work. It tunes to the channels, it creates the egp data, it stores the channels and groups etc... You set it all up via the back-end. XBMC connects to the back-end, and uses the back-end to tune to the TV. If you have tried NextPVR, then you also must be on Windows. I also recommend you try MediaPortal.

I used to use NextPVR back when it was called GBPVR. Its a great low resource program and if you don't think Mediaportal is for you, then I don't see why it wouldn't work.

USB DVB-S2 tuners. There are 3 brands that I can think of. The best in my humble opinion is PCTV 460e.
http://www.pctvsystems.com/Products/Prod...fault.aspx
I have one. I always get a good signal.

The other 2 brands are TBS
http://www.tbsdtv.com/products/
I have a TBS 5890. I do not recommend this. Signal quality is less good than the PCTV, it runs hot and if you decide to go down the Linux route, there are issues (that I have found at least)

And the other brand I know of:
http://www.tevii.com/products_s660_1.asp
I can't comment about this one as I've not tried it.

The PCTV is the dearest of them at around £80. All can be picked up from Ebay or Amazon.

Hope the info is useful. Smile

You my good sir, are a star!
Random points:

PCTV, not TBS. I have PCTV DVB-S2 and T2 sticks, and they just work; my TBS box is a pain with the drivers, plus has just died anyway, which hardly warms me to it :-)

Some people swear by Tevii - some swear at them. TBS internal cards seem to be better than my USB box, but have the same Linux driver challenges.

USB DVB-S2 devices are rare enough, I've never seen a dual-tuner version.

EPG comes over-the-air or via an XML feed, so no reason to pay for it.

I don't know of any MacOS backends, so that limits your options - unless you can run something in a VM, you're limited to native Windows and Linux really.

You don't have to use SQL, you can have separate databases on each XBMC client if you wish.

<potted answers, hopefully useful!>
JesusOnEez.... Let us know how your install goes. Remember Google is your friend when it come to finding cheap tuners. I really do recommend the PCTV tuner though. The only other thing I can think of is to double make sure your Acer Revo has the grunt to run a s2 card before buying one. The specs of all the cards are on the sites I listed. I don't see why ont though. My little Asrock ION 3D can.

Prof Yaffle... I think you and I over the last few days on various threads have both pretty much agreed... PCTV, not TBS. It really is the difference between night and day with those two brands. Signal quality for example using the same feed is reduced on my TBS by over 40% compared to the PCTV.
Front End: Asrock ION 3D running OpenElec - Backend: Dedicated server Running Ubuntu with TBS 6981 DVB-S2 USB
Yup, agreed - I'm a PCTV convert! I placed an order last night for another 460e, although there seems to be a bit of a run on them and they're out of stock in most places. Some German retailers still have them, though.

I can confirm the Revo aspect, btw - I have an R3600 that has, at various times, been running with up to three tuners, including T2 and S2. I did put an SSD into it, though, so I can't comment how it would cope with multiple concurrent HD streams on a mechanical drive (probably okay would be my guess). USB motherboard power isn't a problem since I think all USB S2 sticks need external power anyway.

PS I don't know what chipset your QBox runs off, bluewizard, but I stumbled across a firmware upgrade for my QBox II the other day that may *perhaps* be helping a little. If you're showing as a Conexant CX24116, have a look at this (depending on what OS and thus what firmware you have already, of course).
Interesting link Prof Yaffle. Thanks for that. Mine shows up as a cx23885 though. Doesn't really matter as I gave up trying to make the TBS work with Linux. Upon compiling its driver, the PCTV stopped working each time I tried. I'm back on a Windows install with Mediaportal as the back-end until I get a replacement tuner (Another PCTV 460e), then I'll have another go.

The signal isn't really an issue but I do find the difference in signal quality amazing between the two. But I cant complain too much as I picked my TBS up for half the price I paid for the PCTV.

Multiple concurrent SD/ HD streams is actually my issue at the moment. You mentioning that made me think of it. If I watch something and record something at the same time, I get stuttering. Its not a cpu, or gpu issue. I read about PCTV 460e power consumption issues causing similar problems so I connected the PCTV to a self powered hub. Not that. I thought it might be the hard disk not being fast enough for 2 streams, so I set one tuner to record to a usb drive. Not that. I can record 2 HD streams, and watch a separate HD recording OK. The recorded HD streams recorded OK. I'm a little out of ideas at the moment. but I'm betting it something to do with the TBS. Or maybe that just my low opinion of it. Smile
i'm going to def look into getting a 460e (saw one for £85 on ebay).

in the end i settled on argus for the backend, got a hauppage nova dvb-s2 tuner, a pctv dub-t tuner for freeview channels.

argus is a lot of work but it seems to be the most complete package i've found for windows based backends.

the work side of it appeals to my semi-ocd nature and my tendency to tinker.

i found some ini file on a media centre forum for epg grabber that sorts out all the channels that are fta and not, (had to mod it a bit for my setup) but it seems to work well and i can use it to assign the channel numbers for argus as long i put the lcn tag thingy on.

thank you all very much for your input, this has been a most productive thread as far as i am concerned. the recomendation for the pctv stick alone is a gold mine.
£85 is about right at the moment. Availability does look to be an issue and driving up prices.

Ive had a quick look. PC World (on request what ever that means is doing it slightly cheaper) is doing it slightly cheaper.
http://www.pcworldbusiness.co.uk/buy-ren...y&heat=txt

There are other sites which are cheaper but it says you have to wait 3-4 weeks for del.

-----

One other thing that keeps going through my mind. If you are setting it up from absolute scratch, why not try Openelec first? http://openelec.tv

If it will be pc that just acts as a media/ pvr box then its certainly would work. Its a pinch to set-up. It includes tvhead (the tv backend). It only take about 15 seconds to bootup. If it wasn't for me having a TBS s2 card I would be using it right now. Something you should consider.
I've got a new 460e coming in from Germany from amazon.de - €77 plus postage, or about 81 of your British Pounds at prevailing f/x rates, delivered to Blighty. Should be here within the week (hoffentlich).

I rebooted my back end into Windows earlier, so it's crawling along now while it scans for channels using Argus TV and my QBox. At least it'll tell me whether the TBS box is faulty or whether it's more a matter of crap Linux drivers.
(2013-03-02, 21:44)bluewizard Wrote: £85 is about right at the moment. Availability does look to be an issue and driving up prices.

Ive had a quick look. PC World (on request what ever that means is doing it slightly cheaper) is doing it slightly cheaper.
http://www.pcworldbusiness.co.uk/buy-ren...y&heat=txt

There are other sites which are cheaper but it says you have to wait 3-4 weeks for del.

-----

One other thing that keeps going through my mind. If you are setting it up from absolute scratch, why not try Openelec first? http://openelec.tv

If it will be pc that just acts as a media/ pvr box then its certainly would work. Its a pinch to set-up. It includes tvhead (the tv backend). It only take about 15 seconds to bootup. If it wasn't for me having a TBS s2 card I would be using it right now. Something you should consider.

the bootcamped mac is also my mysql server feeding my other boxes around the house , i really like the mysql setup.

i do have an appletv1 that i am prepared to sacrifice for the cause, lol but will it have enough grunt to act as a tv server with 3 tv tuners attached and serving hd content ? it wouldn't have to play anything, just be the server.
sparklyballs.... I've not tried a AppleTV but from simply looking at its specs, my gut says no to it acting as a tv server for 3 tuners. My advice if you were to go down that route would be to post a few questions on the Openelec forum. They are quite friendly there. When I was asking about my tuners and compatibility, the answers were quite prompt. Not the answers I wanted to hear but at least I found out quickly Big Grin

Prof Yaffle... I looked at German site also. http://www.conrad.com/ce/en/product/942863/
Fingers crossed about your QBox Smile.
i've gone ahead and ordered a 460e from ebay, it's in germany and i get it late next week or early the following.

give it a whirl and make it my main watching and recording unit whilst the other tuner fills in for watching duties if the other unit is recording.

it will give me 3 tunes in all, two dvb-s and a dub-t for the few fta freeview channels that are encrypted on dub-s.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
pvr options, uk freesat hd.0