"Weather" section enhancements/improvements suggestions...
since i'm a uk lad, i'd like to see access to weather.co.uk as i can use my london postcode to get a specific london area weather response.
my local tv station updates an animated .gif of the local radar every 20 minutes:

http://www3.kgan.com/program....ani.gif

i'm going to write a cron job to grab this image, and place it on my server.

is what i'm trying to accomplish possible - basically add a button to the my weather page that will show this .gif ?

hurtz
sure its possible, you have two options:

1) modify the c code for the weather window in guiwindowweather.cpp. you'll also need to modify the myweather.xml skin file to add your new button.

2) write a python script that displays your image and put a button on the myweather.xml file that calls the script

(i think python can only reference files on the hard drive, so you'll need to get the image ftp'ed up to your xbox via a cronjob as well)
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.
ok, first problem, xbmc dosen't seem to have support for animated .gif's - is that correct? at least the one i tried (in the link i posted earlier) didn't work.

hurtz
hmmm... if i go the python script route looks like i can have it download the latest image right from the webserver:

Quote:import xbmc, xbmcgui, urllib

#get actioncodes from keymap.xml
action_previous_menu = 10
action_select_item = 7

class myclass(xbmcgui.window):
def (self):
self.stractioninfo = xbmcgui.controllabel(100, 120, 200, 200, '', 'font13', '0xffff00ff')
self.addcontrol(self.stractioninfo)
self.stractioninfo.setlabel('push back to quit - a to download')

def onaction(self, action):
if action == action_previous_menu:
self.close()
if action == action_select_item:
webfile = 'http://www.google.com/images/logo.gif'
localfile = 'q:\\scripts\\logo.gif'
self.downloadurl(webfile,localfile)

def downloadurl(self,source, destination):        
try:
loc = urllib.urlopener()
loc.retrieve(source, destination)
self.message('download ok')
except:
self.message('download failed')

def message(self, message):
dialog = xbmcgui.dialog()
dialog.ok(" my message title", message)

mydisplay = myclass()
mydisplay .domodal()
del mydisplay

anyone know what would need to be changed to get it to display the downloaded image?

hurtz
as far as i know, xbmc supports animated gifs. most of the skins use them.

i dont know where you got this code sample, but you should just have to change the url like this:

Quote:webfile = 'http://www3.kgan.com/program/wxinfo/wsiftp/kgan/images/radar/x1ra_ani.gif'
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
haven't tested the script yet, but i want to add this to the my weather page. i'm on a standard 480i ntsc tv, and i only see 2 myweather.xml files, one is under 720p, and the other pal. i assume somehow one of these gets scaled to fit my screen, so which one would need to be modified?

from my test last night, viewing the .gif in my pictures did not animate. if the skin supports animated .gif's, i wonder if i can somehow add this to myweather as part of the skin?

hurtz
the "default" resolution of the skin is whats used to scale to other resolutions if there isnt a specific xml file in that resolutions directory. you can find the default resolution of the skin by opening up the xml file in the root of the skin directory. (i dont remember what its called. im at work now and cant check.) it's probably the pal file.

and the animated gif support isnt a skin specific thing. its built into the xbmc engine. but the skins use animated gifs as screen elements. for example, project mayhem has an animated giff that used as the up & down arrows in a spin control.

im not sure if my pictures shows animated gifs. if your gif doesnt show correctly, there may be an incompatibilty with this specific file.
gotcha. skin.xml says:

<defaultresolution>pal</defaultresolution>

i'll try another .gif and see if that works.

thanks,

hurtz
i would like to see weather.com's animated radar image as a button in the my weather page...
in:
feature discussion: customize my weather
is already discussed a feature like this, but if taken from weather.com, you can link it to the chosen local code...

like:
http://www.weather.com/weather/map/nlxx0...e_animated

just have to filter out the image.

good idea to put it into the my weather code? i myself cannot do this
(gonky @ feb. 25 2004,21:21 Wrote:since i'm a uk lad, i'd like to see access to weather.co.uk as i can use my london postcode to get a specific london area weather response.
yeah really would like this too
my request for it is to have an option in weather where you can stream a cam with a view of the city chosen or a city of choice.
this would be good for skiers, snowboarders, surfers, travelers and so on.

pleas dont remove the weather feature!!
to satisify all these people that dont want it on the main menu, you should place it in the pop-up menu on the yellow button.
seems like the builtin textures.xpr support is hardcoded to just work with skinfiles. would be great if it also could work with weather gfx, would speed up loading, transfer to xbox etc.. less clutter.

its nice to have a weather section, but id rather like to see skins using the info on the home screen without the need for a section.
i also agree with this, kinda like having desktop x on your xbox, start up your xbox, you have your menus, your rss feeds, and then in the bottom left corner (or wherever) you have your weather icon (just current) then you can go to it and click on it if you want the 5 day forcast. would also be nice if there was a stock section somewhere (does anyone know if there is a good rss feed for stocks?)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
"Weather" section enhancements/improvements suggestions...0