RealMedia files not playing in Frodo 12.0
Rainbow 
None of my RealMedia (.rm) files will play using 12.0 Frodo. They worked in 11 Eden. I tried a Windows box, and Linux--same trouble. I try to select the file but no reaction is given by XBMC.

The video codec of the Real Media files is RealVideo 4.0 FFRV40.

Here is the log file.

Quote:20:07:17 T:1816 ERROR: Previous line repeats 8 times.
20:07:17 T:1816 ERROR: Playlist Player: skipping unplayable item: 0, path [F:\Charmed\rm\Charmed.s03.e05.rm]
20:07:17 T:3340 ERROR: XFILE::CDirectory::GetDirectory - Error getting F:\Charmed\.actors
20:07:21 T:1940 ERROR: Previous line repeats 5 times.
20:07:21 T:1940 NOTICE: Thread Background Loader start, auto delete: false
20:07:21 T:3724 NOTICE: Thread Jobworker start, auto delete: true
20:07:22 T:3340 ERROR: XFILE::CDirectory::GetDirectory - Error getting F:\Charmed\.actors
20:07:24 T:1816 ERROR: Previous line repeats 2 times.
20:07:24 T:1816 ERROR: Playlist Player: skipping unplayable item: 0, path [F:\Charmed\rm\Charmed.s03.e06.rm]
20:07:24 T:2608 NOTICE: Thread Background Loader start, auto delete: false
20:07:24 T:3340 ERROR: XFILE::CDirectory::GetDirectory - Error getting F:\Charmed\.actors
20:07:28 T:1816 ERROR: Previous line repeats 4 times.
20:07:28 T:1816 ERROR: Playlist Player: skipping unplayable item: 0, path
Hi,

Same here. Unfortunately I do not have a solution, but some more observations.

1. If you change the file extension from .rm to some other video extension like .avi or .wmv, xbmc plays the file as usual. So it seems to have problems with the extension.

2. If I rename the file extension to a new extension like .rm1 and make this a valid video extension using advancedsettings.xml file, the video can also be played.

3. The icon shown for the .rm video file is actually the one of an audio file rather than a video file. I suspect that xbmc gets confused when seeing .rm and maybe it tries to handle the video file like an audio.

4. .rm is actually in the default list for videoextensions and musicextensions. I tried to remove it from the musicextensions by means of advancedsettings.xml. However, this does not show any effect.

5. After giveing the file an .rmvb extension, it also plays. I think .rmvb is also an extension for RealMedia files

Thus a workaround is to rename the file giving it a different video extension.
I suspect some kind of bug in recognizing .rm files. The file can be played if the extension is changed, but not when the original .rm extension is used.

Another observation: It is the same problem on Windows 7 and on Ubuntu 12.04
This IS a solution, for me at least. I call it solved, but still, we should not need to rename files.

I changed all of the file extensions from .rm to .rmvb, and XMBC 12 plays RealMedia video files again.

I entered this command in the programme "cmd.exe".
ren *.rm *.rmvb

There is probably some way to recursively search all folders and change file extensions, but I just used the cd command to change folders one by one.

Here's the page that I used as reference for changing file names.
http://www.howtogeek.com/111859/how-to-b...ple-files/
I use Openelec 3.03(xbmc12.2).

I had the same problem.

The solution to rename the file to rmvb workt for me to.
.rm is treated as audio extension. From the source code AdvancedSettings.cpp:

Quote:m_musicExtensions = ".nsv|.m4a|.flac|.aac|.strm|.pls|.rm|.rma|.mpa|.wav|.wma|.........
How do we go about getting this bug fixed?

Things worked perfectly pre-Frodo, but this functionality is now broken.

The .rm extension should be treated / interpreted as a video file, not audio (or at bare minimum, both).

It is NOT a solution for us to rename all of our video files' extensions. This will break functionality in other platforms / players used to view the files.

Also, renaming files to a .rmvb extension is a kludge - as the files are not variable bitrate files.

Please, can we just get it changed back to the (correct) way it was working before - where .rm was simply interpreted as a video file, and played just fine?
How do we get someone to notice / respond to / fix this? I have a lot of .RM files that I'd like to be able to play again.

Is there an official means to submit a bug report? I see areas for developers only, and areas for "support" of users - but where / how do I say "Hey, there's a bug that was introduced that needs to be fixed"?
Anyone?

How do I file a bug report on this. No one seems to be noticing it here.
You can post in the developer sub forum. Also you can define .rm as a video file in advancedsettings.xml file.
Look up, the word "BUGTRACKER" is there in big letters.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
Thank you.
(2013-12-14, 04:04)baijuxavior Wrote: You can post in the developer sub forum. Also you can define .rm as a video file in advancedsettings.xml file.

I tried both adding .rm as a video extension, and removing it as a music extension. It didn't work. Still the same bug.

I'm going to submit a bug report.
What surprises me is that anyone has any realmedia files these days!
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
(2013-12-14, 21:23)nickr Wrote: What surprises me is that anyone has any realmedia files these days!

I hate to bump something after a month, but this is a problem that persists in 12.3, so figured I would.

All my realmedia files are legacy files. Not quite important enough to re-encode, but slightly too important to just delete.

xbmc has supported my rm files all the way back to xbmp on my original xbox. There's no reason for it to be broken now.
Do any of the solutions on the first page of this thread work for you?

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
RealMedia files not playing in Frodo 12.00