Accessing home media over the Internet?
It may be just a wacky idea, but would it be possible to play the media in my home PC over the Internet? I mean, I know it can be accessed locally, but say I take my XBMC system to work, and would like to access the media from my home PC there. Would it be possible? What would I need?

Thanks.
vpn would be one way to do it. As long as your internet speed is high enough for the full stream

for transcoding, you can try either plex or use xbmc's upnp server with bubbleupnp as it has a transcoding server. With either option, your client would not be xbmc.

xbmc does not have transcoding functionality
Plex
I'm not an expert but I play one at work.
I use Subsonic on my server and the Subsonic add on for XBMC with modified higher bitrates. It's very good. I can watch all my content via XBMC on my phone, work PC, crappy tablet.
The bottleneck here is your internet connection's upstream. The upstream is still puny on most connections (certainly over my cable modem), and all of those HD videos in your collection are too high bitrate to upload in real time. So, in order to stream to your devices outside the home, you'll have to transcode all your 1080p MKVs in real-time to something with a much lower bitrate. I've tried using AirVideo to do this, but unless I set the transcode quality really low on my server, the videos would chug during playback. Your mileage may vary, but there's a pretty good practical reason that adding this feature hasn't been high on the XBMC devs' priority list.
(2013-03-04, 16:04)T800 Wrote: I use Subsonic on my server and the Subsonic add on for XBMC with modified higher bitrates. It's very good. I can watch all my content via XBMC on my phone, work PC, crappy tablet.

Whoa. Had no idea this was a thing. I've been using Subsonic a long time for music and love it. Off to read all I can on this right now, thanks.
I didn't either until AudioGalaxy was shutdown after Dropbox bought them. Looking for another application to stream my music to my phone I found Subsonic. I was pleasantly surprised when it also included video streaming.

This is the version of Subsonic addon I have been using:
http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid...pid1244451

When I try to install it says that dependencies are not met. To install it I manually unzip and put it in the addons folder and restart XBMC.

I also edit some files for higher bitrates:
http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid...#pid974262

Just add your video folders/shares on Subsonic on your server and rescan. Best keeping them separate like Movies, TV Shows. That way you can easily browse the content.
Ok the Subsonic addon is really slick and I just got it going from my work computer to browse and play my home collection!

One thing I am wondering though, is there anyway to have the movie and tv shows from Subsonic addon integrated into the actual movie and tv show libraries? One of the most fun things about XBMC has always been the overall presentation of your library with all the art and metadata. I keep all of my art and nfo files in the same folders as my videos, so in theory it might not be that far off to have a tighter integration ... however I don't think by default that subsonic presents the nfo files (it does show at least some of the art, usually the movie poster).

It would be really great to be able to take my laptop with me on trips and still be able to browse my whole library in all it's fanart covered glory, but leverage the power of Subsonic transcoding to stream over the Internet.
Plex media server + XBMC with plexbmc addon allows exactly this

http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid...ht=plexbmc
My skins:

Amber
Quartz

(2013-03-22, 22:47)pecinko Wrote: Plex media server + XBMC with plexbmc addon allows exactly this

true, just with it was seamlessly integrated into the existing menu items.
I'm not an expert but I play one at work.
It's integrated in Quartz/Reloaded skins.
My skins:

Amber
Quartz

(2013-03-22, 22:47)pecinko Wrote: Plex media server + XBMC with plexbmc addon allows exactly this

Holy smokes ..... So I got this installed today along with the metadata scraper mods for people with Ember Media/XBMC managed folder structures found here and I have to say, this damn might well be the holy grail I have been waiting for!!

So far I've only tried it via the website, XBMC with plexbmc addon, and android ... but it's all working almost perfectly, exactly like I had asked for!!

Thanks so much for pointing me in the right direction, this is great stuff. Smile
You're welcome.

If you're like me and have a hard time leaving XBMC but want centralized library with remote access - than this is probably the best solution.
My skins:

Amber
Quartz

I use an app on my ipad called Airplayit to stream content from my server to my ipad so far I have only tested this over wifi so cannot say for sure if it can be done over the internet via normal internet connection or something like 3G
i use sshfs for this.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Accessing home media over the Internet?0