Help with dropped frames during playback
Hi,

I have been trying to figure out this issue for several weeks, and am at a loss. When watching a ripped DVD (VIDEO_TS.ifos), the video output with "glitch," i.e. go black for a tiny instant, then come back. No issue with audio. Video Output from HTPC is through HDMI to Onkyo Receiver, then HDMI to Panasonic Projector. I have recreated this issue going straight from video card to PC monitor (over HDMI), so I don't think it is an issue with the A/V receiver or Projector. Since this doesn't happen with motherboard HDMI out (which looks terrible for motion and panning, hence the video card), I assumed my video card went bad. So I RMA'ed and got a new one. (Galaxy GeForce GT610). The new video card does the same thing. I have not seen the problem when XBMC is running in windowed mode, only fullscreen. VLC does not do it (in windowed or fullscreen), but looks terrible. So I am assuming it has something to do with XBMC, as it is the common component.

HTPC is dual core E2180@2G, with 2G RAM. I have tried just about every setting in XBMC settings (HW acceleration on/off, sync to drop dupe, etc), but cannot get the "glitch" blanking to go away. I am really going nuts.

Regarding media, I am trying to watch ripped DVDs (VIDEO_TS), which are stored on a networked PC (1G network, uncongested). Since it doesn't appear to have issues with onboard HDMI or VLC, I have ruled out network issues.

I am running XBMC 12.0 (compiled Jan 28, 2013)

I am open on how to debug, or assistance in fixing - I have about 9TB of movies connected to this thing, which are now fairly unwatchable.

Thanks!
I have done some more testing. I have removed the receiver, the projector and the network from the equation. The issue can be recreated with just the HTPC connected to a PC monitor via HDMI. I have messed with many settings in XBMC, but it just doesn't want to play properly. It keeps flashing a noticible black frame every once and awhile. I even tried a new HDMI cable.

When I press "O" during playback, I see some "missed" refreshes, and some dropped frames. BUT these never increment after the issue occurs. My initial thought was video card failure, but I got a replacement one (same make and model), but it did not correct the problem. Also, while viewing stats ("O"), the FPS jump from 24 to like 23.98, back and forth. Is this normal?

Any ideas, or guidance to correct?

I am thinking of a full OS rebuild with Windows XP Pro SP3 (I am currently running Windows7 Ultimate)

Thanks!
So I just removed the video card, and am using the onboard HDMI. My "Windows Experience" dropped from 3.7 to 2.1 - but the problem goes away. Only now, the video is no where near as smooth during panning, action, etc.

I may try another brand of video card....
OK, so I bought and installed a Galaxy NVIDIA GT 630 card.

The same results. I am tremendously frustrated.
Wow.. i see it too.. nothign with XBMC 11 (eden).. but once in a while Frodo will skip one frame.
I thought I was blinking but glad to see someone else noticing this too.
This goes away if use "Software" as render method.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Help with dropped frames during playback0