XBMC on ATV1 - increase buffer size / tuning XBMC up?
Hi

This may not be a support question, rather a mis-interpretation of how I understand the 'streaming' aspect of the system works.

I run XBMC on a jailbroken ATV1. Its a 160gb model with a hardwired ethernet connection to my N-band ADSL router. I get 16Mbps "prioritized" traffic via my ISP (speed as rated by Speedtest.net)

My issue is that every now & again, I'm watching a TV show or a movie and the screen suddenly freezes & it starts buffering. Sometimes its before a show or movie even starts. Or, sometimes it just stops the show / movie altogether & kicks me back to a menu. I switch to another link provider, find one that works & then have to ffwd thru to where I was last and continue from there. Sometimes ffwd works, other times I have to be more patient

Dont get me wrong, I love the system & what it can do & has shown me. But are there any settings I can "expand" on that would buffer more of the incoming data on my local box (I have at least 130Gb spare) to smooth out any troughs in the connection speeds? Can I temporarily "download" the entire show / movie file and watch it locally? Anything else I can tune up to take advantage of a dedicated unit and (what seems to me like) a load of disk space for paging, buffering, using etc

Alternatively, are there local caches on the ATV1 I can clean / clear so that everything runs smoother / more optimally? I'm thinking that as sites / links are accessed & viewed, some remnants might remain & I prefer a nice tidy system - a bit like resetting Safari & deleting all of its nominated files/data every now & again or deleting all the tokens, caches and cookies in IE via security settings if you get my meaning??

Thanks in advance
Jay
Some video addons (like icefilms) support the ability to download the streamed tv show, movie, whatever, to your hard drive. This would certainly take longer to accomplish than letting it buffer, though.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
XBMC on ATV1 - increase buffer size / tuning XBMC up?0