Thanks (again!)
I used the original XBMC back in 2001 for a good while, and have been telling people ever since that it was still the best media player ever made. It, coupled with the wayyyyyy beta myth tv and a little known interface between the two that allowed the old Xbox xbmc to access your recordings (that I can't for the life of me remember the name of) was pretty much a flawless, albeit bulky, setup.

We had better cobbled together DVRs than what you get from the cable/sat companies these days back then.

Anyways after tinkering with xbmc on my ipad mini, which unfortunately just doesn't have the horsepower to play even 720p video, I figured what the hell, I should try one of these xbmc Linux distorts on my main htpc, even if, being a FreeBSD admin, I have a general disdain for Linux (no offense).

I must admit, the xbmcbuntu install is vastly less painful than any other media center app on any other OS.

i3 Clarkdale, intel H55 mobo using hdmi, generic knockoff card reader + mce IR receiver, Logitech harmony programmed as mce remote.....

....all I had to do was reprogram two buttons, outside of changing settings to my liking in the UI. Had to switch my info button to bring up the context menu instead of the info menu, and had to switch my subtitle button to send the star, that was it. Everything else "just worked" out of the box.

Since I managed to adjust everything else to make a completely default install work out of the box, I'm now tempted to build a couple more and maybe try to set them up around the house as headless units booting off my NAS...hmmm. Newegg should probably pay you guys a commission Wink.

Thanks for the great setup, you guys do good work!
Here is some pics from my set up

Core i5 3570K 3.4GHz LGA 1155 Processor
Barracuda 2TB 7,200 RPM SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive STBD2000101
GV-N630-2GI NVIDIA GeForce GT 630 2048MB DDR3 PCIe 2.0 x16 Video Card
14x Internal Blu-ray Burner WH14NS40 - Bare Drive
GA-B75M-HD3 LGA 1155 B75 mATX Intel Motherboard

http://www.flickr.com/photos/50217254@N04/
xayd- i had to laugh at your "ringing endorsement"
"I must admit, the xbmcbuntu install is vastly less painful than any other media center app on any other OS."

i have much to learn about linux, but your words are encouraging....:-)
hahahahah...vastly less painful....

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Thanks (again!)0