Possible to download XBMC on Apple TV 3?
I was thinking on getting ATV 3 and wanted to know if it was possible to download XBMC?

-Rico
Nope, still no jailbreak
IMHO this would be a game changer if they didn't lock this down as tight as they did. Alas the industry is not on the same page with consumers, too much control is sending small start-ups like pi through the ceiling and eventually Apple will get scooped.
I feel confident that there will eventually be a jailbreak for the AppleTV 3 but until then there is still mirroring from a Mac or PC.
The thing is, apple dont make much by selling the device on its own. Its the downloadable content that makes the money, which of course won't be used by anyone who has a jailbroken device. So apple are probably very happy that their atv3 hasnt been hacked.
I think it's more like what Apple publicly stated ... It's a hobby .... Well more accurately its a public way for them to experiment with different hardware design & engineering concepts while still making a profit from it...

All while still being able to gauge the opinions of a much larger audience on UI tweaks and other consumer feedback. Finally it's a platform it can openly demo to the entertainment industry... For example I'm all but certain the major cable outfits ( who already have iOS apps to access a good degree of their channel lineup) have been shown how the ATV could do away with almost all of their cable box needs. And while some say the cable outfits make tons on box rentals I'd be willing to bet its a break even prospect at best and the smaller size and lower cost would be more than welcome. FCC regs would possibly get in the way with the rules currently in place but FCC rules ( as we've already seen time and time again) can change when piles of lobbyist provided cash .... Err when 'the people' call for it.

The fact that it remains unjailbroken is unfortunate but I don't think Apple would go crazy over it if and when it does get JB.
davilla: "...then all will be clear and everyone will go "hollysh**, I can't believe this happened"

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Possible to download XBMC on Apple TV 3?0