Raspberry Pi Airplay not working
Hi,

I just got my new Raspberry Pi to replace my AppleTV 2 with XBMC.
But now i tried to test Airplay and nothing seams to work (video, music,pics) I putted the logs in debug mode but i don't see any big error.

Is Airplay suppose to work the same like XBMC in AppleTV 2 on a Raspberry Pi?
Because on my network with the same iDevice i can still do Airplay with no issues to the AppleTV 2.

Is there any quick or fix for this issue? Should i try the nightly builds?

I've putted the xbmc.log online here http://pastebin.com/Yjh1env7

Thanks
I forgot to describe the behaviour.

I'm using Raspbmc (Stable version) in all my iDevices i can see the Raspbmc but when i select it it just does nothing and on the iDevice i gets an error. It never seems to write anything to the logs each time i try to play something is there another debug flag i can use?
You're probably best off in the raspbmc forum for something like this. It's possibly the firewall. Try this thread:
http://forum.stmlabs.com/showthread.php?tid=7165
I already disable the firewall and my issue is not related to discovery. All devices can see the Raspbmc but it just does not react.

Code:
17:28:15 T:2768237632  NOTICE: Thread AirPlayServer start, auto delete: false
17:28:15 T:3038330880   DEBUG: AIRTUNES: initializing shairport
17:28:15 T:3038330880   DEBUG: AIRTUNES: LogLevel: 5
17:28:15 T:3038330880   DEBUG: AIRTUNES: AirName: ShairPort
17:28:15 T:3038330880   DEBUG: AIRTUNES: HWID: 'ë€Ò‡
17:28:15 T:3038330880   DEBUG: AIRTUNES: HWID_Hex(12): B827EB80D287
17:28:15 T:3038330880   DEBUG: AIRTUNES: Starting connection server: specified server port: 36666
17:28:15 T:2759849024  NOTICE: Thread AirTunesServer start, auto delete: false
17:28:15 T:2759849024   DEBUG: AIRTUNES: Waiting for clients to connect
17:28:15 T:2776626240   DEBUG: CZeroconfAvahi::doPublishService identifier: servers.airtunes type: _raop._tcp name:B827EB80D287@Raspmc port:36666
17:28:15 T:2776626240   DEBUG: CZeroconfAvahi::doPublishService: client not running, queued for publishing

If i try to connect to this ports i get reply

Code:
nc -vv 192.168.1.84 36667
Connection to 192.168.1.84 36667 port [tcp/*] succeeded!

nc -vv 192.168.1.84 36666
Connection to 192.168.1.84 36666 port [tcp/*] succeeded!

Nevertheless I'm posting on Raspbmc forum i tough it could be an new issue with XMBC 12 because i still use Frodo on the ATV2.
I tried to disable ipv6
Code:
echo net.ipv6.conf.all.disable_ipv6=1 > /etc/sysctl.d/disableipv6.conf

But doing that it stop being discovered on my iDevices.

Any other ideas?
Ok i found out what is happening and now i'm clueless why it's behaving like this.

My Raspberry Pi is connect to the network with a cable. If I use a PC wired to the network with Airfoil or even iTunes Airplay works.
Works with music and videos no issues i can see on xbmc.log all te traffic when i'm streaming.

If I use the same PC with Airfoil and iTunes but on wireless nothing happens and no traffic on xbmc.log.

Does this means i have to put Raspberry Pi on wireless? Makes no sens since with my ATV 2 with XBMC i always had it wired and didn't have issues.

Is there any reason that anyone can think of for this behavior?
hard to tell since you only posted a log snippet. But based on that it looks like the avahi dameon wasn't started in raspbmc. This would though lead to the fact theat no device would see the raspi. It might also be the case that avahi announces the wrong ip. Hard to tell.
AppleTV4/iPhone/iPod/iPad: HowTo find debug logs and everything else which the devs like so much: click here
HowTo setup NFS for Kodi: NFS (wiki)
HowTo configure avahi (zeroconf): Avahi_Zeroconf (wiki)
READ THE IOS FAQ!: iOS FAQ (wiki)
Hi Memphiz,

I can see the Raspeberry on all my iDevices it shows has a Airplay source but when i do select it nothing happens.
But the discovery is working.

avahi seems to be working:
Code:
root@raspbmc:/# service avahi-daemon status
avahi-daemon start/running, process 1079

And here is the full log http://paste.debian.net/240033/

Thank you
Sorry i forgot to put the debug flag on the log. Please use this one http://pastebin.com/WH4sJQAh
log doesn't look bad at all. Please try without advancedsettings.xml.
AppleTV4/iPhone/iPod/iPad: HowTo find debug logs and everything else which the devs like so much: click here
HowTo setup NFS for Kodi: NFS (wiki)
HowTo configure avahi (zeroconf): Avahi_Zeroconf (wiki)
READ THE IOS FAQ!: iOS FAQ (wiki)
Meanwhile I found out the issue was on the router. My ISP did some firmware update that disabled a multicast option on the wireless, after enable it everything works as it should.

To explain a little further the issues that I had where the following:
When connecting to a PC which was connected via the LAN (not wireless) everything worked.:

Though using the same PC on wireless nothing was working. All the devices where on the same sub-net.

Problem solved thank you for your help.
I was going to suggest this, but good you already figured it out!
Many consumer grade routers offer LAN and wireless, present them as a single netwrok / subnet, but actually seperate them internally and do not forward all multicast between the two by default.
I was having trouble with AirPlay streaming. Turns out automatic UPnP detection wasn't working. To fix the issue I had to allow TCP&UDP traffic to my raspbmc box on the local network address (192.168.x.x) through port 554 (this is the standard RTSP port). Hope that helps.
I am trying to stream from an Apple TV 1 to XMBC on the Pi.

On the Apple TV I can see the XMBC Pi as a remote speaker.

Using XMBC Airplay does not work when trying to stream from the Apple TV 1 to XMBC / Pi although my iPad does stream to the XMBC / Pi.
I noticed Shairport when installed on the Pi Wheezy works flawlessly streaming to the Pi from both the Apple TV 1 and iPad.

It seems there is something that Shairport is doing that XMBC Airplay is not? What could this be?
Firstly, as its my first post ever I'd like to say how much I appreciate all the work that continues to go into developing and supporting XBMC, it brings a lot of joy so, cheers guys!

The only problem I have involves airplay. I am trying to airplay streamed video/audio downstream from a http proxy server and with the proxy network settings configured on my iPad mini I want to be able to airplay it to my RPi running XBMC (openelec 3.0.2). The airplay options in XBMC are set to go and all local hosts are on the same subnet. As soon as I set the proxy on the iPad and select airplay mirroring (by double clicking the home button as no airplay icon in video frame), xbmc then tries to open the video player displaying "opening stream" but then just stops and closes without any error message.

A related issue comes in as soon as I set the proxy settings in the iPad, I simultaneously lose the XBMCRemote connection using port 8080, and as soon as I take out the proxy settings the remote control returns. So it appears that when I set a HTTP proxy in my iPad it proxies localhost traffic as well, any ideas as to where the problem might be? Thanks.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Raspberry Pi Airplay not working0