Use NAS as destination for recording live TV?
Question 
Is it possible to use a NAS as the destination for recording live TV from a HTPC running XBMC? I read somewhere that it isn't possible with WMC, so wondered if the same restriction applies to XBMC? Even if it is possible, is it a Bad Idea™ to use a NAS location for recording live TV from the HTPC?
It depends on where your back end software is. XBMC doesn't do the recording - tvheadend, NextPVR, ArgusTV, MythTV or whatever backend you decide to use does the recording.

Personally, I record locally and then have a post-processing job to copy the resultant files. It just makes me feel better, just in case something goes awry. But if you've a decent network connection, there's no reason why you couldn't record directly to an NFS or CIFS/SMB share.

Indeed, depending on your NAS, you could even run the back end on that, which means it's recording locally...
I've used a NAS for recordings years with no issues, I don't like keeping my Windows backend running 7/24 simply for recordings I have NextPVR, Windows and plenty of space for live tv on a 120 GB SSD that wakes from sleep < 10 seconds. I wouldn't fight running a backend on a NAS. A refurb license Win 7 fully capable of easily running the NextPVR backend cost just $100 to $150.

Be forewarned that some of the older embedded NAS boxes were terrible and couldn't record two shows and stream another.

Martin
Depends what backend you are running, but mythtv will certainly do this.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
TVheadend will both run on, and record to, Synology and QNAP NAS devices.
Many thanks for the replies. It sounds like, in principle, recording to a NAS is possible without major downsides.

(2013-03-03, 21:54)Prof Yaffle Wrote: It depends on where your back end software is. XBMC doesn't do the recording - tvheadend, NextPVR, ArgusTV, MythTV or whatever backend you decide to use does the recording.

Yep, I have to keep reminding myself of that.

(2013-03-03, 21:54)Prof Yaffle Wrote: But if you've a decent network connection, there's no reason why you couldn't record directly to an NFS or CIFS/SMB share.

Is there anything special needed to have a decent network connection? Mine would be just another wire to the router. I have no idea what NFS and CIFS/SMB are; time for some more reading. Smile

(2013-03-04, 02:06)emveepee Wrote: I've used a NAS for recordings years with no issues, I don't like keeping my Windows backend running 7/24 simply for recordings I have NextPVR, Windows and plenty of space for live tv on a 120 GB SSD that wakes from sleep < 10 seconds. I wouldn't fight running a backend on a NAS. A refurb license Win 7 fully capable of easily running the NextPVR backend cost just $100 to $150.

That's good to know and sounds similar to what I was planning. The HTPC will be a small Windows system. I would like to put a box with a larger HDD for recording and the rest of my media files in another room.

I wasn't clear from your post whether you have NextPVR running on your HTPC recording to your NAS, or whether NextPVR is running on the NAS directly? In the latter case, does that mean your NAS has a tuner card in it?

Sorry if these are obvious questions, I'm new to all this and just want to make sure things are going to work before I start spending!
(2013-03-06, 09:49)omenatalo Wrote: I wasn't clear from your post whether you have NextPVR running on your HTPC recording to your NAS, or whether NextPVR is running on the NAS directly? In the latter case, does that mean your NAS has a tuner card in it?

To a NAS, although I record live tv to a local drive. NextPVR requires a Win32 PC which IMO is overkill for a NAS

Martin

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Use NAS as destination for recording live TV?0