HTPC for Music and Movies? No Gaming
Hello guys, what would you recommend ?

I'm looking for:

- Something powerful enough to handle a big music and movie libraries using XBMC
- SSD hard disk only for OS and applications. My media will be stored on my 2TB NAS so I don't need a large hard disk
- Bluetooth 4 and USB 3
- HDMI 1.4
- Ethernet Gigabit
- 1080 and 3D support. I want something that can play anything that I throw on it. My display is an LG LED LM7600. 47''.
- DTS, Dolby Support (And all of the high definition audio codecs)
- BluRay optical drive support (Internal or External)
- Linux Friendly (No need for Windows although I may want to install it afterwards)
- Something Small
The better Linux support is going to come from Intel vs. AMD and with Intel you need at least an i3 for 3D.

You could buy or build something along the lines of this Intel barebones with at least the i3-3220T and the blu-ray drive. For bluetooth you can add a dongle or customize it to use the Gigabyte GA-H77N-WIFI.
That setup would be over 600 USD right? I was thinking of something cheaper considering it won't be for gaming.
You'll have the latest Intel HD4000 and you should be able to playback everything in your list with this little guy- Intel NUC BOXDC3217IYE Intel QS77 2 x 240Pin Core i3 3217U 1.8GHz HD Graphics 4000 Integrated by CPU Chassis.....
>Alienware X51- do it all HTPC
>Simplify XBMC configurations
>HOW-TO Bitstreaming using XBMC
I refused to watch movie without bitstreaming HD audio!
(2013-03-04, 17:00)Faire Wrote: That setup would be over 600 USD right? I was thinking of something cheaper considering it won't be for gaming.

If you build it yourself, it can be done cheaper. You can use the barebones as a blueprint for your build. Do you want to DIY or something off-the-shelf?

You might be able to save some money by going with a less powerful Intel processor and a Nvidia low-profile card like the GT610.

AMD will have no support for HD audio codec in Linux.
Next Unit of Computing <3
The Intel NUC's looks better and more affordable... 2 questions..

- Can I attach an external BluRay optical drive to the NUC?

- What are the advantages of having 2 HDMI output ports ? What would it be useful for?
(2013-03-04, 18:51)Faire Wrote: - Can I attach an external BluRay optical drive to the NUC?

Yes, it has two USB2.0 ports in the back and one in the front. However, it does not have USB3.0 which was one of your criteria. For Bluetooth you could also add a bluetooth USB dongle. For an SSD you'll need an mSATA SSD.

(2013-03-04, 18:51)Faire Wrote: - What are the advantages of having 2 HDMI output ports ? What would it be useful for?

Dual displays -- two monitors.
What about the Zotac boxes? Can't they do 1080 high res, 3D, DTS, Dolby HD, etc ?
(2013-03-04, 20:47)Faire Wrote: What about the Zotac boxes? Can't they do 1080 high res, 3D, DTS, Dolby HD, etc ?

It's not the brand that matters. Since you want Linux, your choices for 3D and HD audio are either Intel i3/i5/i7 via its integrated GPU or any CPU with most discrete Nvidia GPU cards (there are exceptions).

You might be able to get away with one of the Atom/GT610 PCs but it might not have USB3.0, "play everything you can throw at it" and any player/format/codec that's not GPU accelerated will likely not play. It might not support all the different types of 3D either. You will still need to add a bluetooth dongle.
(2013-03-04, 18:51)Faire Wrote: - Can I attach an external BluRay optical drive to the NUC?
I have this USB writer, and it can write and play just about anything I threw at it- Samsung SE-506BB/TSBD 6X USB2.0 External Slim Blu-ray Writer Drive (Black).......

I removed the internal drive to get better air flow.....
(2013-03-04, 21:13)Dougie Fresh Wrote:
(2013-03-04, 20:47)Faire Wrote: What about the Zotac boxes? Can't they do 1080 high res, 3D, DTS, Dolby HD, etc ?

It's not the brand that matters. Since you want Linux, your choices for 3D and HD audio are either Intel i3/i5/i7 via its integrated GPU or any CPU with most discrete Nvidia GPU cards (there are exceptions).

You might be able to get away with one of the Atom/GT610 PCs but it might not have USB3.0, "play everything you can throw at it" and any player/format/codec that's not GPU accelerated will likely not play. It might not support all the different types of 3D either. You will still need to add a bluetooth dongle.

It seems Windows is more ready for audio and video hd playback isnt it? If so, i can take the linux requirement out of the list and just install windows
(2013-03-04, 21:40)Faire Wrote: It seems Windows is more ready for audio and video hd playback isnt it? If so, i can take the linux requirement out of the list and just install windows
Windows supports all audio condecs on all GPU's.....
(2013-03-04, 23:34)bluray Wrote:
(2013-03-04, 21:40)Faire Wrote: It seems Windows is more ready for audio and video hd playback isnt it? If so, i can take the linux requirement out of the list and just install windows
Windows supports all audio condecs on all GPU's.....

So you have the NUC? you have it on Windows or Linux?

Also guys, what would you recommend if I take Linux out of the list ? Taking into account that Windows would run as fast as Linux
(2013-03-04, 16:52)Dougie Fresh Wrote: The better Linux support is going to come from Intel vs. AMD and with Intel you need at least an i3 for 3D.

You could buy or build something along the lines of this Intel barebones with at least the i3-3220T and the blu-ray drive. For bluetooth you can add a dongle or customize it to use the Gigabyte GA-H77N-WIFI.

Sorry to ask, what's i3-3220-T ? is it a different version as i3-3220 ? Will the i3-3220 be enough for 3D/1080 playback?

I'm asking because my local store have this: https://www.pcfactory.cl/producto/11873-...%281155%29

is it the same as you're recommending?

Thanks

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
HTPC for Music and Movies? No Gaming1