HTPC #5 - Low Cost Build
Well a customer of mine just went ahead and gave me the ok for his build. Its an Intel based setup using a Intel Celeron (first time I've used one). Here is a full list of the equipment and starting pictures.

Specifications:
CPU: Intel G540 2.5GHz
MoBo: Biostar USB 3.0 Intel H61 Mini ITX
RAM: Kingston HyperX 2GB
Case: MI-008
SSD: Sandusk 64GB
HDD: Seagate barracude 7200 3TB
Reader: LG BluRay burner/reader

So this is the third time I've used this case. It is a pretty good deal at $56 through Amazon and it includes a 350w PSU. The main problem I had was when you installed a internal reader you only had one HDD mount. So this time I decided to "custom" mount my SSD in a vertical position. I drilled two small holes in the bottom of the case. I think it turned out well. I accidently ordered the wrong Motherboard so I'm waiting to replace it through Amazon.

Pictures:

This is the wrong Motherboard in the picture.
HTPC: ASRock B75M-ITX LGA | Intel i-3 3.3GHZ | 4GB | Samsung SSD + WD 2TB x2
Double-sided tape works nicely for SSDs as well.
(2013-03-05, 23:33)Dougie Fresh Wrote: Double-sided tape works nicely for SSDs as well.

Yea, I liked a more "permanent" and easily removed mount. I also like to over engineer things sometimes lol.
(2013-03-05, 23:38)UnderCoverUZI Wrote:
(2013-03-05, 23:33)Dougie Fresh Wrote: Double-sided tape works nicely for SSDs as well.

Yea, I liked a more "permanent" and easily removed mount. I also like to over engineer things sometimes lol.

And for a customer, it makes for a nice professional touch too -- never anything wrong with that.
Recently used the exact same case but I relocated the PSU to the front under the dvd drive allows for a bigger heatsink. Still need to come up with cover for the back but the case is great for the price i think.
Thats a good idea, never thought about that. I might have to buy another case to try it out. Thanks!
I've used used the Apex and Rosewill version of this case. For the money it's hard to beat. It's not the most stylish looking thing unless you're into shoeboxes but yeah I agree overall it's a great case for the price.

I like the PSU idea. It'd be interesting to see how this effect temperatures since the PSU would be exhausting into the case. I usually swap them out for a picoPSU but that would save some money. I build a plastic plate that fits into the opening where the PSU goes that has a hole for the picoPSU's jack (http://www.ecosmartpc.com/sfx.html) to make it look nice and then snap a 120mm fan into the 2nd HDD location on the side of the case.

As a matter of fact, I just picked up a used Apex MI-008 and I am moving my office PC into it so I can add a data hard drive and card reader to my current mini-ITX build which is in a slightly modded Realan E-Q7 case (my simple mod was to spray paint the white cover black which drastically improves the look). I've got a 19V 120W DC powerboard and 120W 19V AC adapter I'll use with it. I'll create custom mounts for the DC powerboard under the 3.5" HDD area.
I have a hole cut underneath to exhaust the psu. Seems to work great alot better then pressing on heats ink fan. I'll post them up again so you can see what I mean.
(2013-03-06, 17:28)Dougie Fresh Wrote: I've used used the Apex and Rosewill version of this case. For the money it's hard to beat. It's not the most stylish looking thing unless you're into shoeboxes but yeah I agree overall it's a great case for the price.

I like the PSU idea. It'd be interesting to see how this effect temperatures since the PSU would be exhausting into the case. I usually swap them out for a picoPSU but that would save some money. I build a plastic plate that fits into the opening where the PSU goes that has a hole for the picoPSU's jack (http://www.ecosmartpc.com/sfx.html) to make it look nice and then snap a 120mm fan into the 2nd HDD location on the side of the case.

As a matter of fact, I just picked up a used Apex MI-008 and I am moving my office PC into it so I can add a data hard drive and card reader to my current mini-ITX build which is in a slightly modded Realan E-Q7 case (my simple mod was to spray paint the white cover black which drastically improves the look). I've got a 19V 120W DC powerboard and 120W 19V AC adapter I'll use with it. I'll create custom mounts for the DC powerboard under the 3.5" HDD area.

Here is what i did.

Just have to cut these front brackets and it clears fine.
I used this bracket and mounted it in the 3.5" bay.
HTPC: Apex MI-008 | Foxconn H67S | Celeron G530 | G.SKILL 4GB | Crucial 64 SSD| Arctic Cooling | PicoPSU-160-XT
You used that for your SSD right ?
Yes. I've got the same case. This is looking down into the case.
HTPC: Apex MI-008 | Foxconn H67S | Celeron G530 | G.SKILL 4GB | Crucial 64 SSD| Arctic Cooling | PicoPSU-160-XT
That looks really nice i will have to pick up a cheap SSD and go that route.
(2013-03-06, 20:11)dvandriesen Wrote: I have a hole cut underneath to exhaust the psu. Seems to work great alot better then pressing on heats ink fan. I'll post them up again so you can see what I mean.

But doesn't the PSU fan suck air in rather than exhaust out so you will have warm/hot PSU air blowing over the motherboard.

David
HTPC1: Intel Pentium G620, 4GB RAM, AMD HD6570, Samsung 830 SSD, Silverstone GD05 case.
HTPC2: AMD Athlon II X2 255, 4GB RAM, AMD HD5450, Western Digital HDD, Silverstone ML03 case.
HTPC3: AMD E350, 4GB RAM, AMD HD6310, OCZ Agility 3 SSD, Akasa Crypto case.
Media Server: i3-3220, 8gb RAM, WHS 2011, 8tb capacity, Fractal Design ARC Midi R2 case.
Im under the impression the PSU is pulling air from outside the fan through the hole cut and pushing that air through the case and out the 80mm fan on the side? Wouldnt that be correct ?

I have seen other people flip the PSU on this case and cut a hole in the top and leave it at the back. Very similar setup.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
HTPC #5 - Low Cost Build0