xbmc and synology NAS
Hey everyone

I know this may have been answered somewhere before, but im all confused about acronyms and where/how to search for an answer. Everything these days is all acronyms and i dont understand half of them. So my question is pretty simple.
I just got a Synology NAS ds213+, and now i wanna use it as file storage for xbmc instead of my previous external HDD, with the best performance. But how do I add files in the library from the NAS? I know how to the ordinary way, but not when it comes from my NAS server. Hope to get some help soon.
First recommend a static IP for the Synology. Not exactly sure of the question, but on the NAS (login via browser admin acct) you need to set up a user (I use XBMC no password), and create one or more root shared folders that you give user XBMC access to (I give full access). Then you need to turn on CIFS/SMB/Windows sharing and/or NFS sharing as desired (I am using SMB). At this point you should be able to see your NAS in windows explorer network resource browser, and the root shared folder you created. When you open the shared folder it should ask for credentials , enter username and password you created. If you can't see your NAS in explorer, I supect a master browser issue and what works for me is shutdown all computers on the lan and then start your main one (if you have a win 7 machine suggest using that one). That computer will take over as master browser and that might fix an issue of not seeing the NAS (it is possible to configure the Synology as a master browser but I haven't tried that). I don't see any need to map a drive letter to the shared folder. So when you have access to the shared folder copy over your media folders. If desired start XBMC and export your library as nfos to your existing external media drive. Then I would remove the sources, delete the library content and then add new sources navigating to the synology and shared folder(s) as SMB. I don't do NFS, but think is would be about the same. Synology has provision to play around with Windows permissions and ACLs on the shared folders, but haven't found any need for that. If you did an export you could then import from the NAS to get the nfos back into the database.

scott s.
Thanks for the answer. Think i know what to do now
The Syno has an option to make it the Master Browser... I recommend this.

Also, I use NFS and find it quite a bit faster than SMB (which I was using in the past) - media starts quicker.
I'm not an expert but I play one at work.
He might want to access the same shares from a windows pc.
SMB would be a better choice since it works without configuration on most platforms.
Hey @wiskar what are you running XBMC on? I'm using Xbian on a Raspberry Pi and I can't seem to connect to my new Synology 213+ either. I've tried Samba, NFS, AFP... no joy

@All - Basically my issues are as described in this thread on the Xbian forum -> http://forum.xbian.org/thread-520.html . I can connect to the NAS just fine over Ethernet and wireless LAN from various computers running Win XP and Win 7. It's only XBMC / Xbian that's causing me grief
Can any if you XBMC heads shed any light on what might be going here? Does this sound like an XBMC issue or is it just the way it's been implemented in Xbian and outside the scope of your forum?
(2013-03-16, 21:08)Deficit Wrote: Hey @wiskar what are you running XBMC on? I'm using Xbian on a Raspberry Pi and I can't seem to connect to my new Synology 213+ either. I've tried Samba, NFS, AFP... no joy

@All - Basically my issues are as described in this thread on the Xbian forum -> http://forum.xbian.org/thread-520.html . I can connect to the NAS just fine over Ethernet and wireless LAN from various computers running Win XP and Win 7. It's only XBMC / Xbian that's causing me grief
Can any if you XBMC heads shed any light on what might be going here? Does this sound like an XBMC issue or is it just the way it's been implemented in Xbian and outside the scope of your forum?

seems like a problem with XBian... you should post in a forum for that, this is a Windows forum.
I'm not an expert but I play one at work.
Fair enough, sorry bout that. Thanks though ppl, because using the advice here I actually got Xbian working. I needed to create a new user account on my NAS with the relevant read/write permissions but which did not require a password, as Scott said.
Xbian was then happy to connect to the NAS folders Smile

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
xbmc and synology NAS0