Linux How to make XBMC start dependant on the Network running?
I am chasing a problem that I am sure is caused by xbmc starting before the network is up. About half the times I boot xbmc, I do not have the Movies tab displayed. My problem began about frodo B2 and has become more freqennt through the RC 3 nightly builds. The debug log shows that it did not connect to the mySql server. I want to make the start of xbmc dependant on the start of networking. I thought this would be an easy task, but I found xbmc is not started as a upstart job or via init. I found xbmc is started as an xsession via the control file /usr/share/xsessions/XBMC.desktop.

I wrote a shell script to ping the mySQL server until it responds and want to run that before xbmc is started. I can see in the file /etc/lightdm/lightdm.conf three possible places to call a script before the ubuntu (lightdm) desktop starts,
Code:
# display-setup-script = Script to run when starting a greeter session (runs as root)
# greeter-setup-script = Script to run when starting a greeter (runs as root)
# session-setup-script = Script to run when starting a user session (runs as root)
but I can't get any of those options to work. If I use "session-setup-script =", all I get is No such file or directory errors, regardless of what path or file name I try. If I use "greeter-setup-script =" lightdm ignores it and makes no attempt to read the script. When I try "display-setup-script", lightdm does not start, just pops up an error that the system is running in low graphics mode.

A google search found many people are having the same problem with xbmc starting before the network (most with Open Elec and SSDs). Those fixes with adding scripts and delays are not appropriate for xbmc on ubuntu.

I thought about starting lightdm and xbmc with upstart or init, but don't know how to do that without screwing up the autologin function.

Can anybody recommend a way to make XBMC RC3 start dependant on Network start?
Not sure why you are still using RC3 but never mind.

In the lightdm.conf, start on clause try "started network"

format example here http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=XBM...io_devices
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
I would upgrade to Frodo final first

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
How to make XBMC start dependant on the Network running?0