Storage Options
I currently have 2 physical drives spanned but just picked up some more storage I am worried about adding to my existing span and having one of the drives fail.

I have been doing some reading and have seen some recommended tools to help with this the two main ones being flexraid and unraid.

I was wondering if flexraid would allow me to keep each of my 3 physical drives separate but allow me to setup one share folder with a combination of the data on all 3 drives.
what is your OS?

FR lets can protect you from drive failure and can pool all your drives into one view and creates a share to it. You should check out there forum. Also Flexraid doesnt need to format your drives to start using the product

If my replies help you, please click on my reputation Image below :) thanks :)
(2013-03-09, 01:45)saitoh183 Wrote: what is your OS?

FR lets can protect you from drive failure and can pool all your drives into one view and creates a share to it. You should check out there forum. Also Flexraid doesnt need to format your drives to start using the product

I am on Windows 7.

(2013-03-09, 01:45)saitoh183 Wrote: what is your OS?

How can it protect you from drive failure by using a parity drive?
UnRaid works great.
HTPC Basement: i3 3225, Asrock z77 pro4m, 8gb Crucial DDR3 1600, Samsung 840 120gb SSD, Silverstone GD05B Case

HTPC Livingroom: WIP

Server: UnRaid: Intel G550, Asrock B75 pro3m, 4gb ram, Parity Drive 3tb WD Red, Data 2 x 2tb WD Red, Cache 1tb WD Blue, Fractal Design XL R2 Case
(2013-03-09, 01:47)dirty_denim86 Wrote: How can it protect you from drive failure by using a parity drive?

Parity, at the bit level and simplifying it, works by getting how many bits are 1 at the same position of a harddrive (for example, the 1st bihttp://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Parity_of_a_permutationt that can be read on a harddrive). Then you have to choose between odd and even parity, so that if you had 5 "1" you do the parity a 0 (to keep the number odd) or "1" (to make it a pair number of ones). Once a drive fails, you can then read again that bit and the parity one, so that if you still read 5 and you read your parity drive, you will know if you are missing a 1 or a 0 and can write this into the new harddisk.

It gets a little more complicated than this, but this very basic explanation should help understanding it a little bit. Of

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Storage Options0