Upgrading Apple TV 1 to Linux and Power Consumption questions
Hi all

I recently jailbroke and installed the XBMC on my Apple TV 1... But you guys have got me started now, so I'm already thinking what to do next!!!

I'm gonna pick up a broadcom card and upgrade to a linux setup. A few questions:

1) The options are to install Linux using Crystalbuntu or Openelec... Which is better? What are the main differences? Is there any additional functionality (apps, etc) that can be gained by adding one over the other?

2) Power consumption on the Apple TV1 seems to be pretty high, and it runs hot. Will disconnecting the HDD and heat sync reduce the power consumption?

3) Could the internal HDD be used for anything useful if I leave it connected to the ATV?

Thanks for all your help so far!!!
Hey icebeg,
1. They both work very good. Chrystalbuntu has apt-get, openelec has a smaller install footprint and a newer kernal. You can try both of them before you get the card. It will perform better than it does now.

2. It will still get warm without the hdd, its a hot little box but several people have taken it out.

3. Yes, file storage. Plus it runs slow with a usb install. Its way faster with a hdd.
(2013-03-10, 06:28)calev Wrote: Hey icebeg,
1. They both work very good. Chrystalbuntu has apt-get, openelec has a smaller install footprint and a newer kernal. You can try both of them before you get the card. It will perform better than it does now.

2. It will still get warm without the hdd, its a hot little box but several people have taken it out.

3. Yes, file storage. Plus it runs slow with a usb install. Its way faster with a hdd.

Thanks for the help. I tried goggling Apt-get but couldn't really understand what it does/is. What advantages does this bring? Are there any 3rd party apps, like those available on cydia that could be installed?

I don't have a 4gb USB to hand, so I'll have to wait before giving them both a try. How long does the USB bootup take?
You mentioned that the HDD boot is much quicker. Does the aTV go into standby/low-power mode, so that I could start using it quickly or does it simply have "on" and "off", so need to be rebooted every time?

FInally, is it possible to restore the Apple OS at some point in the future, if required?
apt-get is a way of installing applications in Ubuntu, and other debian based linux distributions. If you dont know what it is you probably don't want to use it. You can install xbmc addons to extend the functionality.

The usb boot is about the same as the hdd boot maybe a little longer. The speed up with the hdd is mainly menu navigation. You will notice a lag when using usb. Its probably still a lot faster than what your using now since xbmc runs horrible on the native apple tv os.

The apple tv never sleeps, the screen just goes black. It doesn't have that functionality built in. It doesn't sleep without Linux on it. Boot up does take a long time and nothing can really speed it up much.

Yes it is possible to restore the original os. Openelec and chrystalbuntu both have restore programs that can put your apple tv back the way you bought it. No need to back it up either.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Upgrading Apple TV 1 to Linux and Power Consumption questions0