UGH AGHH AND OTHER GENERAL NOISES OF DISCONTENT.
i used mac os x with eden for a good while and was happy, then when frodo came along and i found out that i couldn't bitstream hd-audio i was crestfallen.

i know, i thought, let's bootcamp the ol mac mini (late 2012, i7 quad core) with windows 7 and get some of that yummy hd-audio goodness and it worked fantastic.

then my next project was pvr and well, windows was a bit of a letdown in that area, for about 2 hours i thought i had the mutts nuts but then windows being windows decided me being happy was not on and decided to throw up all sorts of lovely driver issues and other things not to do with xbmc itself.

so i thought (really should stop that) let's go with the linux option (ubuntu 12.10 and 12.04 were both tried, here) and damn it, it took me a day just to get the ethernet working, and then when it did get going , imagine my horror when instead of lovely hd-audio coming out of my surround sound system i was greeted with a noise which can only be described as a cross between a nun farting in church or a cheap japanese motorcycle. so after some reading tried some trick of adding 1 to some entries in a file, that was a no go, then i tried updating the kernel to 3.7 and nothing, but i did get the added bonus of my ethernet card gave up working (despite the fix i used promising it would survive any kernel updates).

so anyways enough preamble here, can anyone please tell me the state of play with hd-audio on a mac mini late 2012 (intel hd4000 graphics) running ubuntu 12.04 (or indeed 12.10) , is it possible or not and if so how in all that's holy do you do it ?

cos at this rate i am thinking of ditching all my tech, growing a goatee and spend all my time hanging around in starbucks waving my macbook pro around trying to impress chicks.
lol - you should write a book on your macbook instead of messing around with linux...
AppleTV4/iPhone/iPod/iPad: HowTo find debug logs and everything else which the devs like so much: click here
HowTo setup NFS for Kodi: NFS (wiki)
HowTo configure avahi (zeroconf): Avahi_Zeroconf (wiki)
READ THE IOS FAQ!: iOS FAQ (wiki)
OpenELEC?
i'm restoring mountain lion again on the mac mini for what seems like the thousandth time, i've one more try with linux left in me and then that's it.

i've read in audioengine testing thread for linux about some patches for the kernel and alsa lib that allegedly cures the intel hd audio problem.

does anyone have an idiots (me being the idiot) guide to installing these patches ?

if i can just get audio-hd and ethernet working together i'd be happy, then i'd try and tackle the pvr side of things during the week.

openelec ? how does one install that ? i've tried it on my atv1 before from a usb stick.

i preferred crystalbuntu on the atv as i found the "walled in" approach of openelec to be less than helpful when it came to getting remotes to work with lirc and stuff.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
UGH AGHH AND OTHER GENERAL NOISES OF DISCONTENT.0