Linux DVD eject not working
Question 
Hi.
I have got a problem lately. XBMC fails to eject my dvd discs. Everything else works (ie the disk is automatically mounted upon insertion and all movies works), but when I push eject nothing happens. Tried to find any error message in the logs but I find nothing at all. Running "eject" from terminal (logged in as the same user that XBMC runs as) works fine. How does XBMC try to eject the disc?

This is a Ubuntu 12.04.2 LTS box running XBMC 12.0 installed from ppa.

I have a slot-in player without any physical eject button, so now I have to ssh into the htpc everytime I want to remove a disc. Kinda irritating Confused

/Daniel
Add the following to /etc/sysctl.conf

Code:
dev.cdrom.lock=0
(2013-03-12, 13:59)teeedubb Wrote: Add the following to /etc/sysctl.conf

Code:
dev.cdrom.lock=0

Strange... I know I did that once, but now it was gone. Must've been many upgrades ago :-)

Anyway, it didn't work. Added the line and restarted, but still nothing happens when xbmc tries to eject the disc Undecided

/Daniel
Here

cd /lib/udev/rules.d/

Code:
nano 60-cdrom_id.rules

Change this:
Code:
IMPORT{program}="cdrom_id --lock-media $tempnode"
to this:
Code:
IMPORT{program}="cdrom_id $tempnode"
Done!

++

uNi
(2013-03-12, 18:07)uNiversal Wrote: Here

cd /lib/udev/rules.d/

Code:
nano 60-cdrom_id.rules

Change this:
Code:
to this:
Code:
IMPORT{program}="cdrom_id $tempnode"
Done!

That made the trick. Thanks a lot!

/Daniel
Uni,
just out of curiosity, how did you get to that solution? I mean, does a simple "apropos dvd", "apropos eject" or whatever do the trick, or do I have to read through tons of documentation? If so, which tons?

Ciao
Tom
I first came across it, researching the "problem" which I experienced myself in archwiki and most of it is ubuntu compatible, but when googled it turns up a few places. apropos leads no where of consequence anyway.

uNi
You should copy the modified rule from /lib/udev/rules.d/ to /etc/udev/rules.d/ as any rules in the lib folder can be overwritten during a update.
solution worked for me too, thanks very much. I am almost 100% completely satisfied with XBMC, just need to get my wii working as a remote and i am completely done! It would also be awesome for hbogo to work from the ipad but that is a horse of another color. XBMC is fantastic. I am running it via ubuntu and have a 2 TB drive with all my media on it and it has YET to fail to play ANYTHING. Superb work and such a wonderful wonderful tool!

Patrick Pagano
Digital Worlds Institute
University of FLorida
(2013-03-12, 18:07)uNiversal Wrote: Here
Thanks for the solid information!!!

cd /lib/udev/rules.d/

Code:
nano 60-cdrom_id.rules

Change this:
Code:
to this: