ASUS C60M1-I or ASRock E350M1/USB3 for unraid?
Hi Guys!

I haven't posted anything here for ages lol..
and i am posting this up because i need you guys' help again heh.

i was wondering if anyone is using ASUS C60M1-I or ASRock E350M1/USB3 for their unraid or xbmc machine?

I posted the same question over at unraid forum, but one of the user pointed out that they may be too weak for sabnzbd.

What i need from the server is to consume the least power possible, but able to run sabnzbd & sickbeard... and cheap lol
I am not planning on doing any transcoding.

what do you guys think? Is C60 or E350 too weak to handle sabnzbd's par/rar processing?
too weak for sab? I don't think so

sab only uses high cpu during unrar or repair. But then again if the cpu is weak, it's just going to take a little longer. No problems there. Normally during downloading, cpu utilization is very low.

Transcoding is where a weak cpu would have issues, as the cpu would have to keep up with the stream in real time. But you said you won't be doing any transcoding so that's fine.

I also hear that the celerons have real low power consumption. Now, their tdp's are higher than zacate, but as long as their utilization is low, the power consumption is comparable to zacate (TDP is the maximum consumption if the chip were to be pushed to its limits). In an unraid configuration, the celeron would be idling the majority of the time, not breaking a sweat, and using very little power
maybe i should rephrase my question and what the user said.
not too weak, but yes really slow for unrar/repair.... i wonder how slow it can be.

and i am also looking at celeron option as well.. something like this: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.as...6813138368
I would assume it would take 10-15 min to unrar/repair with zacate instead of 3-4 with an Ivy or Sandybridge celeron

Celeron 847 is not much more powerful than the zacate (It is clocked very low at 1.1Ghz). Also the celeron 847 is 32nm architecture, whereas the G1610 is 22nm, which makes the G1610 more efficient

passmark scores:
e450 = 806
celeron 847 = 1058
celeron G1610 (Ivy bridge max TDP-55W) = 2647

I think any one of those would work just fine for basic unraid with no transcoding or virtualbox
ASUS P8H77-I + Celeron would make for a nice NAS setup. Like the ASUS C-60, the P8H77-I has 6 x SATA ports.
(2013-03-13, 19:23)aptalca Wrote: I would assume it would take 10-15 min to unrar/repair with zacate instead of 3-4 with an Ivy or Sandybridge celeron

Celeron 847 is not much more powerful than the zacate (It is clocked very low at 1.1Ghz). Also the celeron 847 is 32nm architecture, whereas the G1610 is 22nm, which makes the G1610 more efficient

passmark scores:
e450 = 806
celeron 847 = 1058
celeron G1610 (Ivy bridge max TDP-55W) = 2647

I think any one of those would work just fine for basic unraid with no transcoding or virtualbox

He mentioned the E350 thou which is a little slower 772 passmark.

OP for a long time the Sempron 145 was considered the "standard" for an UNraid box and that only has a 832 passmark and it's single core.
XBMC specs: MINIX U9-H LibreELEC 4K all day

Home Theater - Samsung 65KS8000 - Denon 3200- Ascend Acoustics speakers - Maelstrom 18in sealed sub 7cu ft - Behringer EP2500

UNraid Server – Pentium G3258 – MSI - H81M-P33 – Antec HCG-400M PS - 8Gb RAM
(2013-03-13, 19:54)Dougie Fresh Wrote: ASUS P8H77-I + Celeron would make for a nice NAS setup. Like the ASUS C-60, the P8H77-I has 6 x SATA ports.

That board is definitely on my "look-out" list... since microcenter has G1610 for only $35.

(2013-03-13, 22:03)joe_sun Wrote: OP for a long time the Sempron 145 was considered the "standard" for an UNraid box and that only has a 832 passmark and it's single core.

That is something to think about...
I wouldn't go for the sempron 145

It used to be the "standard" up until about a year ago, because it used to be the only decent chip below $40. But now that you can get celerons at that range, I would go for a celeron instead.

Don't get me wrong, I have the sempron 145 in my unraid box, but that's because I built it a while back. I also unlocked the second core to reveal an athlon ii x2 4450e (I was lucky as there were no guarantees). If I were to build a new box today, I wouldn't go for the sempron because I think there are better alternatives at that price range and power consumption.

At the time I had to decide between the sempron and the zacate. I went with the sempron because it was cheaper and it had the potential to be faster with the second core unlock, so I took a chance and it worked out for me.
(2013-03-13, 23:35)aptalca Wrote: I wouldn't go for the sempron 145

It used to be the "standard" up until about a year ago, because it used to be the only decent chip below $40. But now that you can get celerons at that range, I would go for a celeron instead.

Don't get me wrong, I have the sempron 145 in my unraid box, but that's because I built it a while back. I also unlocked the second core to reveal an athlon ii x2 4450e (I was lucky as there were no guarantees). If I were to build a new box today, I wouldn't go for the sempron because I think there are better alternatives at that price range and power consumption.

At the time I had to decide between the sempron and the zacate. I went with the sempron because it was cheaper and it had the potential to be faster with the second core unlock, so I took a chance and it worked out for me.

You're right, if I did it today I wouldn't use a sempron 145. I was just pointing out the E350 and the 145 are pretty close in passmark performance and would run UNraid fine. Well I did get a killer deal on my AM3 MB and the Sempron 145. I think I paid 70.00 for both shipped and the MB has onboard video, 6 SATA ports and ATA ports for my 1 ATA drive so if I had the same deal I might do it again Smile

I used to run sabnzbd on my box and it seemed fine but I found I liked running it on my windows machine better. I don't run any add ons so I have no desire to upgrade anytime soon.

Home Theater - Samsung 65KS8000 - Denon 3200- Ascend Acoustics speakers - Maelstrom 18in sealed sub 7cu ft - Behringer EP2500

That is a pretty good deal Smile

Speaking of sab and windows, before I built the unraid box, I used to run sab on my windows htpc (older athlon 64 x2 5000). Whenever sab was unraring/repairing, it would max out the cpu and xbmc playback would start stuttering. I had to set up eventghost to pause sab whenever I played a video in xbmc. Smile That was sometime ago, I am sure they fixed it by now.
If I was going to re-do my server I think I will go with the ASUS C60M1-I ....

jangjong actually I been wanting to go smaller .... a smaller case.... this may be the mobo for me.

That NZXT Source 210 Elite is nice doh!

http://lime-technology.com/forum/index.p...ic=25052.0
(2013-03-14, 05:11)Beer40oz Wrote: If I was going to re-do my server I think I will go with the ASUS C60M1-I ....

jangjong actually I been wanting to go smaller .... a smaller case.... this may be the mobo for me.

I'm leaning towards ASUS P8H77-I + Celeron G1610 setup actually..
Might as well as get it a bit more powerful in case i want to run anything else in the future.
This is going to be my gf's though, so I doubt i will run anything else lol.

Also, since this is for my gf, she wants something "Small & Cute & Tiny".
It's impossible to find a cute mini itx case that can hold at least 5 HDD's
I looked in to BitFenix Prodigy (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.as...6811345016) too because they have multiple colors, but according to my gf, it's funny looking lol

Q25B is the only one she called 'Sexy'. I guess 'Sexy' beats "Small & Cute & Tiny" Wink
so I am just waiting for that to go on sale again lol
(2013-03-14, 05:11)Beer40oz Wrote: If I was going to re-do my server I think I will go with the ASUS C60M1-I ....

I have the non Elite version and I love it

Here it is last night when I was working on it

(2013-03-14, 15:46)jangjong Wrote: I'm leaning towards ASUS P8H77-I + Celeron G1610 setup actually..
It's hard to beat that combo
HTPC: Win 7 Home 64-bit | MB | CPU | GPU | RAM | Case | PSU | Tuner | HDDs: OS, Media | DVD Burner | Remote
Media server: unraid 4.7 | CPU | MB | RAM | Case | PSU | HDDs: Parity-2TB, Data-2x2TB
I'm doing a similar Celeron build, but with the Asus B75 Pro3-M. 8 sata ports for $70

*AsRock

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
ASUS C60M1-I or ASRock E350M1/USB3 for unraid?0