Linux [HOW-TO][XBMCbuntu 12.0][Frodo] XBOX DVD Remote/Dongle
As a further update to this...

I installed the 3.19 kernel from Ubuntu 15.04 as i was having a weird video issue, and there was some suggestion that the newer kernel would fix the bug.

I dont know if it has fixed it yet, however yet again the remote broke with the kernel upgrade.

This time, following the instructions above failed to work, as lirc_dev failed to compile against the 3.19 kernel sources.

After some searching i found some other unrelated software package producing the same error against the 3.19 kernel, and followed the fix:

Replace every mention of ‘f_dentry’ with ‘f_path.dentry’ inside the lirc_dev.c file.

Did that and it compiled up fine, then copied it into the rc folder as explained above and its now working on 3.19 just nicely Smile
I believe Openelec are using this kernel patch:
https://raw.githubusercontent.com/OpenEL...port.patch

You can extrapolate (is that the right word?) the patch and build it out of tree. Or just apply the patch and build the whole kernel, which is gonna take some time, unless of course, you have a monster cpu.
I guess the difference is the Openelec patch is compiling the xbox driver against the lirc modules that are already in the kernel. I've no idea how easy it would be to compile that as a standalone module.

The methods in my earlier post, and the one above work fine, with minimal effort, so i'm happy to continue doing it with a compiled module.
maybe the OpenElec patch works on a newer version of lirc, solving the problem with the lirc_dev module... if it's able to use the version that comes with the kernel it would be great.I'll give a shot and try to apply the patch to the newest lirc source, not the old branch, let's see how it goes.
Hi all!, i'm really noobie with this kind of things on ubuntu and kodi and i really interesed to make work my old XBOX DVD playback controller kit in kodi, i have installed Kodibuntu 14 (ubuntu 14.04.1 LTS with kernel 3.13.0-63 generic), i'm read all of the post but i'm really confused, i know this is a pain in the ass but please i need more detailed and step by step instruction to make the controller work, and if i can remplace the patch "lirc_0.9.1_lirc_xbox_driver.patch" to "lirc-0.9.0-021-lirc_xbox.patch" because the 0.9.1 version is now imposible to find even in google.

Thanks Smile
The hard work by aragorn (and others) still works for me in 16.04.1 with the kernel 4.4.0-59 although a slight amendment seems to be necessary.

Replacing f_dentry with f_path.dentry in lirc_dev.c didn't work for me as I still got make errors so I replicated changes to lirc_dev.c shown in the commits listed here https://github.com/torvalds/linux/commit...f2e63f0f54

There was one residual make error due to the line @757:

Code:
if (file && file->f_dentry && file_inode(file) &&
        file_inode(file)->i_rdev) {

I corrected this by removing the phrase "&& file->f_dentry ". I am not sure if this the best solution but the error disappears and the remote now works.

Great to have it working in Kodi 17 - thanks to everyone above for their contribution.

paul

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[HOW-TO][XBMCbuntu 12.0][Frodo] XBOX DVD Remote/Dongle1