Seperate Profile or tags/nodes/smart play list
Income Tax Refund is coming in and I am finally going to setup an Unraid Server to centralize and manage my ever increasing library. One of my goals with such a setup is to finally get sort out my videos so that I can XBMC is the kids rooms to allow them to watch TV seperately from my big screen as well as put one in my bedroom with access to "educational and entertainment" vids for me and the wife to enjoy occasionally. I run a mysql database for centralized metadata and syncing.

What I can not decide is whether I should use seperate profiles for the kids, the master bedroom, and the main TV, or if I should use some combination of tags/nodes/smart playlists. Or a combination of the two (perhaps seperate profile in master bedroom with the adult stuff), and smart playlists in the main and kids rooms. The children ages are currently 9 and 5, so eventually I may allow access to more stuff in the oldest kids room, such as pg-13 etc.

Currently I use a mac mini in the main living room, and plan to use some pivos boxes in the bed rooms for now, and hopefully swap the kids boxes for ouyas when they go retail.

I am not looking for a debate on what is age appropriate etc, as the wife and I monitor what our kids watch. I am looking for advice and pro's - con's of each from others who have implemented some sort of system for their families as well. Ultimately I want to be able to filter the material at each location, with the ability to customize what each has access to, and to prevent (at least a basic level of protection) the kids from bypassing the control, as the school computer labs teach them more.
More control with profiles which allow password entry, a kiosk mode will keep them out of sensitive settings.
It's my understanding that the only way to currently do it is to have separate directories for each bracket, then lock them down to individual profiles.

So You would have:

\everyone\tv & \everyone\movies
\teen\tv & \teen\movies
\parent\tv & \parent\movies

or whatever. Give all profiles access to 'Everyone', give the 9 year old access to 'Teen & Everyone', and your profile to all three.

Then as the kids age you manually movie the files down the tiers, import the media and clean the database.

If there's another way to do it I would love to know about it, since I would be trying to figure out how to juggle 5 different profiles like that and I honestly just don't have the time to be constantly migrating my media all over the place.

It seems like metadata flags would be much easier (tags/etc) than directory access profiles, but apparently that's almost a holy war sort of topic.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Seperate Profile or tags/nodes/smart play list0