HDMI audio select in XBMC 12 gives stuttering video in blueray iso's
Hi everyone,

I think I've exhausted my capability in trying to get HDMI audio to work when I play my blueray iso's...
I have tried everything I can think of to get HDMI audio setting to work with my blueray iso's but to no avail.

HDMI works if the audio setting is used on a DVD rip, but not blueray.
I can however get the blueray iso to play just fine if I select optical or analog, but not HDMI.

I did not have this problem in XBMC 11...

Is this a bug?

Thanks in advance,

CN
With proper configurations, it should work fine with HDMI. If you are connecting it directly to a HDTV, you need to disable capable receiver options. If you are using AVR, you want to select the capable receive to match the audio supported formats shown in Windows control panel. Here are more tips- Simplify XBMC configurations......
>Alienware X51- do it all HTPC
>Simplify XBMC configurations
>HOW-TO Bitstreaming using XBMC
I refused to watch movie without bitstreaming HD audio!
Hi Blueray, thanks for responding...

I followed your link, and as far as I can tell, everything is correct...
I have my HTPC connected by Monster HDMI to my Pioneer VSX-50 receiver. The receiver to my Samsung by HDMI.

I have my VSX-50 receiver set up in Windows 8 as the default playback device and set to 7.1 audio. I can hear all the speakers clearly. Windows is up to date and I have the latest nVidia drivers loaded for my video card.

What's weird, is that everything works fine in Windows and in XBMC for HDMI use as long as I don't try a bluray...

I still don't know why it won't work...I will send some screenshots and hopefully the answer will be obvious.

Thanks,

CN
(2013-03-18, 02:55)CheeseNacho Wrote: What's weird, is that everything works fine in Windows and in XBMC for HDMI use as long as I don't try a bluray...

I still don't know why it won't work...I will send some screenshots and hopefully the answer will be obvious.
It's more likely causes by blu-ray HD audio. What are audio support formats in Windows control panel? Here are some tips- post #12....
I had problems with Frodo using the DirectSound HDMI output, changing to the WSAPA HDMI output cured them.
This included very slow playback for tracks with HD audio.
That fixed it!

I followed the instructions in both posts and setup windows as you had.
I then tried it in XBMC and failed again...however, I started to uncheck the radio buttons and quickly figured out that it was the DTS-HD radio button that caused the extremely slow video playback. All other settings in the radio button worked just fine.

I will have to double check my documentation on my Pioneer VSX-50 as I thought it was DTS-HD capable...

I'm very glad this is fixed! Thanks a ton to everyone for their input!

The CheeseNacho....

Update 1:

My receiver is DTS-HD capable, but it does NOT show up as a supported format in Windows 8. The driver date is Jan 2013, so I'm not sure what's up with that....

Is there a way to update the supported formats in Windows for a device like my VSX-50?

Thanks....
(2013-03-19, 00:26)CheeseNacho Wrote: Update 1:

My receiver is DTS-HD capable, but it does NOT show up as a supported format in Windows 8. The driver date is Jan 2013, so I'm not sure what's up with that....

Is there a way to update the supported formats in Windows for a device like my VSX-50?

Thanks....
For it to work, DTS-HD and TrueHD have to show up in Windows as support formats. Have you update the latest GPU driver directly from here- NVIDIA Driver Downloads?

Here is a couple more suggestions-

1. If your AVR have CEC turned on, you disable it for now....
2. If you installed Realtek, you can un-install it for now....
3. You can try another HDMI cable and HDMI on your AVR too...

Thanks....

You've not mentions the make & model of the grpahics card or GPU that provides the HDMI out on the PC?

This could be an EDID problem if everything in the chain is supposed to support DTS-HD. Could you post a screenshot of the Supported Formats screen from Windows?
(2013-03-19, 12:22)jjd-uk Wrote:

Thanks....

You've not mentions the make & model of the grpahics card or GPU that provides the HDMI out on the PC?
you need to re-read his post #3

(2013-03-19, 12:22)jjd-uk Wrote: This could be an EDID problem if everything in the chain is supposed to support DTS-HD. Could you post a screenshot of the Supported Formats screen from Windows?
you need to re-read the bottom section of his post #6
Post#3 mentions Nvidia which indeed I did miss, but no mention of model.

Post#5 is from someone else so not sure what your point is.
Well, I wouldn't have believed it, but the NVidia driver update did the trick. I could clearly see the formats supported in Windows Playback devices now show the missing formats. I flipped over to XBMC, pushed the DTS-HD radio button and streamed a bluray iso and it worked immediately.

For the record, my video card is an NVidia GeoForce GT 610 with 2 gigs RAM...not the fastest, but does quite well for HTPC purposes. The driver was a stock Microsoft driver dated January of 2013, so I thought I was safe. That was my mistake in post #3...I quickly scanned the driver and did not notice it was the Microsoft driver versus an NVidia driver.

I did have the WASAPI setting setup in Audio under XBMC, but I did not see a big difference when I was trying to work through the problem...(prior to new NVidia driver).

In the end, setting up the Windows control panel as was mentioned earlier and the advent of the latest GPU driver from nVidia seems to have removed all playback issues with bluray HD audio...

Thanks to everybody that chimed in for the help...it was very enlightening and helpful!

CN
(2013-03-19, 18:23)jjd-uk Wrote: Post#5 is from someone else so not sure what your point is.
I meant the bottom of post #6..

(2013-03-20, 00:48)CheeseNacho Wrote: Well, I wouldn't have believed it, but the NVidia driver update did the trick. I could clearly see the formats supported in Windows Playback devices now show the missing formats. I flipped over to XBMC, pushed the DTS-HD radio button and streamed a bluray iso and it worked immediately.
CN
You are not the first user with this issue. Several users in another threads told me that they updates their GPU drivers but after I provided the links very similar to what I posted in post #7, they are very pleasantly surprise by it too.....

I'm glad that you got it to work...Nod

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
HDMI audio select in XBMC 12 gives stuttering video in blueray iso's0