Building a HTPC, need advice about video and if this is overkill
Hey everyone! Quick overview: Just purchased a brand new plasma TV, first TV I've ever owned larger than a 19" display (samsung e 7000 series). I am now trying to find stuff to make use of it. I have been exploring media servers but nothing seems to have everything I want. Roku would be great but Comcast blocks HBO GO on roku, and I can't use the samsung smart tv app either since that is blocked by Comcast as well.

I want to be able to watch downloaded videos, play bluray disks, and securely store media. In a perfect world I could use it to do roku-esque things too without needing to pick up a roku box. I do not care about light fan humming, it doesn't bother me (big plasma, supposedly has a noticable humming sound, I'm far more concerned about that, plus the room has an old radiator heating system which makes lots of creaks and groans).

So, here is what I have in mind:
SHUTTLE SH67H3 PC Barebone System
Intel Core i5-2500K Quad-Core Processor 3.3 GHz 6 MB Cache LGA 1155 - BX80623I52500K
Corsair XMS3 8 GB (2 x 4GB) 1333 MHz PC3-10666 240-Pin DDR3 Memory Kit CMX8GX3M2A1333C9
LG Electronics 14x SATA Blu-ray Internal Rewriter without Software, Black (WH14NS40)
2x Seagate Barracuda 2 TB HDD SATA 6 Gb/s NCQ 64MB Cache 3.5-Inch Internal Bare Drive ST2000DM001 (configured in Raid 1 for data protection)

Now, this is for a dedicated media-only computer. I don't need gaming graphics, just something that I can feed just about any video/audio format to and get it to display over HDMI on the nice new TV. Anything else that XBMC can do is gravy. Total cost is currently around 850$ for amazon, 980 on newegg.

The CPU includes Intel HD 3000 graphics. Is that powerful enough for what I want to do? I have seen mention of this particular processor and mobo together having issues with DXVA, but most of those posts are 2+ years old and no further mention. Does the issue still exist? Should I look at adding a standalone video card to the mix?

I'm already pressing Ms. msarro's buttons with this purchase, so low prices are good things Smile

Any advice on how to bring the price down would be appreciated - I'd like all the video bells and whistles, but most of the specs I'm seeing are significantly lower. The big requirement on my end is the storage RAID.

EDIT: Changed the 3TB disks to 2TB, as the mobo only supports RAID in BIOS mode.
Updated parts based on Eskro's recommendations (a lot of slimming down):

Kingston Technology HyperX Blu 4 GB Kit (2x2GB Modules) 1333 (PC3 10666) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM KHX1333C9D3B1K2/4G
Intel Core i3-3225 Dual-Core Processor 3.3 GHz 3 MB Cache LGA 1155 - BX80637i33225
Seagate Barracuda 2 TB HDD SATA 6 Gb/s NCQ 64MB Cache 3.5-Inch Internal Bare Drive ST2000DM001
LG Electronics 14x SATA Blu-ray Internal Rewriter without Software, Black (WH14NS40)
SHUTTLE SH67H3 PC Barebone System

Does anyone see any issues with the slimmed down parts? Think there will be any stuttering? I will most likely be running windows 7 on the box. This brought the price down to around 700$ which is nice. Plus this will give me Intel HD 4000 instead of 3000, which I haven't seen any issues with (though I haven't done much research). I am looking for this to be a group 7 type HTPC, I'd like to play 3d media.
Also, will be adding a MCE remote. Any feedback would be appreciated folks.
Bump?
This will be fine however it's the previous generation Intel, the i5-2500K. Did you find a very good deal on it? According to reviews of the Shuttle, it will support Ivy Bridge.

What's you cost for this system? We might be able to compare it to doing something similar but with Ivy Bridge components to see if it's a good deal for the previous generation hardware.

[Edit] Oh, I see it's updated in the 2nd post. I'd still like to compare the price of the Shuttle barebones to something DIY. $700 seems a lot -- does that also include the 2 x 2TB? It is not hard to put a motherboard in a case and hook up some wires.

Do you live near a MicroCenter store?

i3-3225 will do everything you've listed -- no stuttering (at least not due to the hardware). i3-3220T will also. These CPU are so powerful, you don't need DXVA to render.

Here's a similar system I've put together for you except it's DIY and has an H77 motherboard instead of H67
Coolermaster Elite 120 mini-ITX case
ASUS P8H77-I LGA 1155 Intel H77 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 Mini ITX Intel Motherboard
Combo deal at Newegg.com $20 off $129.98 + free shipping
FSP 80 PLUS Certified 300-Watt Micro ATX/SFX Power Supply FSP300-60GHS-R $44.99
Total: $174.97

Even less (I use this chassis for my office PC -- works great)
Apex MI-008 $49.20 (come with power supply)
ASUS Intel H77 mini ITX Motherboard - P8H77-I $96.41 (from Amazon as the seller)
Total: $145.61
(Use the i3-3220T with this one)

This is similar in price to the Shuttle but is much smaller and all aluminum. However, you are limited to a 2.5" HDD and a slot-load optical drive.
Realan E-i7 with 84W AC adapter $124.99
ASRock H77M-ITX mini-ITX motherboard $99.99 (orientation of this motherboard works best in E-i7)
(Use the i3-3220T with this one)
Negative on the microcenter store, we haven't had one in ages! I did look at the prices of comparable ITX and ATX cases and mobo combos and found some that work ok, but then I'd have to look into cooling solutions too, which will stretch out the time to put everything together (need to get parts, assemble, see what clearances are for the cooler) and the cost difference isn't too huge (about 100$). The shuttle has its nifty heatpipe system built in and a single silent fan on a rear-mounted heatsync.

Thank you for the feedback - I'm glad to hear the ivy bridge will work out. I just wanted to get some feedback before I pulled the trigger Smile

I'll take a look at the first option! The second won't work for me - the dual hard disks and RAID 1 is a hard requirement for this since it will get used a lot.

I will definately look into this option... any idea if the fans in the coolermaster come with the case, or if you have to put them in yourself?
Yeah, it'll be great. Enjoy it and come back and post your experience/pictures.
Does anyone know if the i3 would be powerful enough to drive a PCI-E 1x tuner and mythTV backend at the same time as XBMC, or would I have to start looking at the i5s instead?

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Building a HTPC, need advice about video and if this is overkill0