• 5(current)
Ability to share and synchronize XBMC userdata profiles between multiple machines
sqlite doesn't work well over a network. it depends on filelocking.
maybe someday someone will add the ability to use a mssqlexpress or similar. that would be great! however alot of the sql must be rewritten to work. I vulenteer if someone writes the c++ code to access mssql plus adds a table for clients (mac address used for id or something) Wink

if you had a server with mssqlexpress you could also write a pc app which did the scanning of new media into the library as soon as it's added, so when you turn on your xbox or whereever you have xbmc running these days, everything is just up to date.

I totally get why the devs use sqlite since it's opensource and can be embedded, however it puts ahold to some really neat and useful features when you have multiple clients.
I have three xbox's using XBMC Pre 2.1 (may 19 build and later). I am adding my entire DVD collection to a 8TB RAID server that all three xbox's stream from. It is cumbersome to have each Xbox rescan to retrieve movie info/thumbnails for the movies when they are added or renamed. I would like keep one xbox up to date and then copy the database file with the thumbnails and info to the other two.

After I rescan the main Xbox would it be sufficient to copy over the file folders Thumbnails and Database in APPS/XBMC/UserData to the other two xbox's or are there other files I need to transfer over.

OR is there an easier way to sync all the xbox info?

Thanks in advance.
There is no other way. Just copy the entire UserData folder between them.
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.
I have 4 different machines running XBMC, I would love to find a way to share userdata across all machines, I tried copying the userdata dir to my server and then create symlinks on the host machines...this kind of worked. The machine where the userdata dir originated seemed to work fine, but the second host wasn't picking up all of my movies in the library?? It was only showing a handful?? Anyone already worked through this?? Be nice to have my library update regardless of what machine I am using.
Your best bet is probably to setup the home dir for you xbmc user on an NFS or SMB share. Just be aware that XBMC doesn't support this so concurrent db accesses will overwrite each other.
Ok, I have 3 XBox's running specifically XBMC

I now have another PC running XBMC aswell as everything else, im also looking at building another PC for the TV to specifically run XBMC.

Is there any way to be able to move the point of the UserData folder, to say a samba share, and have all my XBMC systems look at that point. This will be pretty useful, since all the data i will ever read is on a single point (I have a Data Storage server i keep everything on, TV Shows, Movies, etc etc)

Thanks in advance for your help
Oxyg3n Wrote:Is there any way to be able to move the point of the UserData folder, to say a samba share, and have all my XBMC systems look at that point.

This might be a hack'ish way and I'm not too sure if it's very efficient, but you could create a "symbolic link" that points to a single "userdata" folder on your samba share. I'm not sure if symbolic links can be created on the Xbox though.

I would start by copying my current working "userdata" folder to my network share (samba,nfs,etc.). You probably need to adjust the permissions so that this shared "userdata" folder can be read/written to.

For example:
I have mine auto mount to a folder /media/xbmc/

Then for each installation of XBMC, navigate to your userdata folder and delete it. And create a symbolic link to the shared "userdata" folder.

For example:
Code:
sudo ln -s /media/xbmc/userdata /home/username/xbmc/userdata
where the first path is the location of the actual files that now exist on your network share, and the second path is the location that XBMC is looking for the files (the one we just deleted).

I haven't tested this, so be sure to investigate it more on your own before trying.
Is this possible now?
alexodwyer Wrote:Is this possible now?
No, there is no built-in feature to ability to share and synchronize userdata databases and thumbnails between multiple XBMC installations.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
It may well be a feature worth considering in the future. It seems more and more people now are having more than one mediacentres. And many are now setting up a server to hold all the data.

It would be awesome to be able to point each xbmc install to the server and to update and maintain a single database.

So things such as watched status', pause points etc are all propegated between all your mediacentres. As are any new files added to the libraries.
Please search trac if there is not already a feature request for this, if not then feel free to submit a new ticket, see: http://wiki.xbmc.org/?title=What_is_XBMC...to_XBMC.3F
Is there a Win32 APP for XBMC that will clone your profile to all computer via ip address or something.

I see great things in the future for xbmc as far as thin client distributions and such.

I service running on a server that listens to XBMC and when it detects changes it updates and reboots/restrarts with the updates.

Full House XBMC , Fanart, ect.

Kind of like an extender but different in the respect that you could toggle to update to XBMC FullHomeSync "F.H.S" or run as standalone profile.

Interesting thoughts, Im no developer though.
KODI1: Shield 2019 2D and 4K HDR / Zidoo Z9X 3DMVC /ATV4K 2D/ and 4K HDR/ DV AVR1: YAM RXA3080 DISP1: LG OLED77G6P /3D/HDR/DV
KODI2: Shield 2015 2D and 4K HDR / Zidoo X9S 3DMVC /ATV4K 2D and 4K/ HDR/ DV AVR2: Marantz NR1607 DISP2: LG OLED55C6P /3D/HDR/DV
KODI3: Shield 2015 2D and 4K HDR / Zidoo X9S 3DMVC /ATV4K 2D and 4K/ HDR/ DV AVR3: Denon AVR-X3300 DISP3: LG OLED65G6P /3D/HDR/DV
Would it be feasible/possible/an interest for an XBMC "Server" this server would be on a local PC or NAS device and would recognize devices that are netbooting , save the device(s) HW settings and run a centralized version of XBMC ala Linuxmce. Or go the way similar to VMWare VDI

This way all of the devices (XBOX's, PC's laptops, Webtablets) would run the same version of XBMC, same settings, fanart/thumbs, profiles etc.)
With the webserver enabled on the "server" (PSP's iphones, smartphones) could be used as remotes to control these devices in different rooms like an ORBITER used HERE

I think this is a logical step in the evolution of the remarkable XBMC cross platform program. More and more people have multliple XBMC devices. I have 3 XBOX's 2 win laptops 2 win PC's and 2 linux PC all running XBMC. So a solution along the lines above would benefit me and others like me greatly.

Can this be done and how?

By no means am I a scripter or developer - but I would like to pitch in if there is anyone willing to work this, I have a networking background.
Hi, I have two xbmcs, and would like to no if its possible to share music and video library dbs between them. If the database files were stored on a network drive or something, save me from updating things twice?
Thanks
This will likely cause you more problems than it will fix, due to how the db is currently handled. Search the forums for more details, I've personally answered this question at least twice.
  • 5(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Ability to share and synchronize XBMC userdata profiles between multiple machines2