PVR help
Hi
I am having great difficulty getting started with xbmc and wondered if someone could help me.
I have xbmc frodo and xmbhub installed and configured but that is as far as I can get. I've tried enabling pvr's but it just keeps saying connection lost, I've installed super tv and enabled it but when I click on it 1 just get a black box and no guide.
3 days in and this is as far as I've been able to get.
Please someone HELP!!!!
Thanks
I split your post off from that 2 year old and unrelated thread in which you posted and moved it here. Which PVR back end are you using? Have you already read the PVR (wiki) article in the wiki?
hi thanks for replying to my post. ive enabled mediaportal pvr client. but it just keeps saying connection lost.
do i need a pvr client to watch tv through supertv? is supertv a good add on for watching tv?
sorry if my questions seem silly but im very new to this.
thanks
To use PVR you need a separate piece of software called a backend. The PVR client then connects the client (XBMC) to the server (the backend). The backend software can potentially run on the same physical computer as XBMC, but doesn't have to. You also need a TV card (tuner) of some type.

From what you've said, you have the MediaPortal *client* installed (the addon), but don't necessarily have MediaPortal installed anywhere, correct?
yes thats correct. how and where do i install the backend?
I think tvland may be wanting to stream or download from the internet. He should perhaps read http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=149712

Also this is not xbmchub, if you want support for xbmchub, go see them Smile
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
@tvland,
Think of PVR as TiVo running on a computer. For that, you'll need a TV tuner card on your PC, a signal source such as a TV aerial or cable/satellite box, and the backend application software that performs the scheduling and recording of your TV programs. The link I posted for you above provides more information on this. If this isn't what you had in mind, then refer to nickr's post above.
@tvland - you install the backend onto a PC that has tuner cards installed in it (internal or USB). That can be your media PC or a separate machine. You can use a number of different applications as the backend (Linux or Windows), but the architecture stays the same.

Re: xbmchub - I concur with nickr on that one!

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
PVR help0