Keeping the kids movies out of mine
Hi Guys,

First of all a huge thank you to all of you who work hard at creating an amazing experience for the rest of us. I really appreciate it!!

I really like Confluence on my ATV2, so was wondering if I could handle this problem I have without changing skins.

I have a folder on my NAS with my movies and another folder with my kids movies. If I add them both to my library as movie folders, they get "mixed up" in XBMC. I want to be able to have a library just for my kids, so that they are not going to look through all my zombie movies when searching for Cars 2. Is it possible to add an item on the home screen that gives them direct access to their movies, but not mine and still set up their folder for automatic scraping? I am by no means an expert, so please explain in laymans terms ;o)

Thanks in advance

Peter
This can be accomplished easily by creating a separate profile for your kids. In their profile, specify that you want to use separate media info and separate media sources. Log-in to their profile and add a video source pointing to their movies directory, select a media type (Movies) and scraper, and let it refresh for new content. This will populate the video library with just the movies located in their physical movies directory. You can set up a master lock to password protect your master profile so they can't casually navigate to it and access your movies. You can also password protect some XBMC functions/settings so they can't get to them readily and mess things up too much.

See the following wiki articles for more information:
Profiles (wiki)
Settings/System#Master_lock (wiki)
Thanks for that - However, my kids arent that old, so it may be too complicated for them. Is there a way to just add a "kids" section to the home menu or perhaps a "Kids" sub-menu to the movies section and keep the two seperate that way?

If not, then your suggestion may be the best one to use and I will definately test it to see how the kids react.

Thanks

Peter
You can use a smart playlist (where rule is path that starts with kids' movie directory) and you switch to a different skin (e.g., one of the Confluence mods) that supports custom main menu shortcuts. You would then assign that custom button to launch the smart playlist. See: smart_playlists (wiki)

I offered you the profiles option because you said you wanted to stay with the default Confluence. If you use a remote control to navigate XBMC, you may be able to map one of the buttons to switch to their profile. That should simplify things for your kids. I would also suggest changing the background image on their profile so it's evident which profile is active.

Anyway, think it over. You now have two ways to address your requirement. Let us know if you have any other questions.
Thanks for that - I'll give it a try ;o)

Have a great easter!

Peter
I created a "Kid's Collection" set and add all of their movies to that set. I then created a custom icon and modified the submenu items to show that icon that opens the "Kid's Collection". It is a bit more work, but I like how it turned out. It is now a single click for my kid's to find their movies and the only "kid's" item that shows in my movie list is the "Kid's Collection" movie set.

Yes, I know I have quite a diverse set recently added movies in that screen shot.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Keeping the kids movies out of mine0