Linux hardware that's *not* quiet or small?
Hi,

I'm looking for a mostly pre-built system (meaning I don't mind throwing a graphics card in or some ram, but that's about it..) for xbmc on linux.

The thing is it will be in a utility room serving a tv through the wall, so it doesn't have to be small, quiet, or efficient. Media will be over the network (nfs) so no need for a lot of disk space. No need for ssd or wifi.

I've looked at cheap dells, but they have weak power supplies generally so I'm not sure about putting an nvidia card in there..

I assumed it would be easy to find a cheap generic ugly-ass box, but it seems like the silent living room friendly types are more common now.

I'm running in another room xbmc on a xios currently (it's really decent for the price, and if you upgrade the firmware and accept it's still beta - remote is the worst part..), have a linux server providing data (use linux at work all the time), so I have no software fear. This is for my media room and I just want it to be a super smooth, awesome xbmc experience, capable of HD audio and 3D (maybe..), definitely 1080p.

Any ideas?

Thanks for any clues!
How much are you willing to spendHuh
Even a weak power supply out of a Dell will be fine when you consider that you do NOT need a super uber card for XBMC. The lowest end card NVIDIA sells with HDMI would probably be just fine...
Openelec Gotham, MCE remote(s), Intel i3 NUC, DVDs fed from unRAID cataloged by DVD Profiler. HD-DVD encoded with Handbrake to x.264. Yamaha receiver(s)
(2013-03-22, 00:00)PatrickVogeli Wrote: How much are you willing to spendHuh

Ideally under 300.

I know the cheapest is to build from components,
But am happy to trade time for dollars.
Uh, the cheapest tower that you can buy at Costco or Best Buy.
The cheapest sandy bridge system you can find should be able to do what you want, and, if not, just add an Nvidia 520 or 610.
Looking around at systems, the moral of the story here is that small form factor pc's, possibly quiet ones are generally cheaper than generic old desktops to do this job.

So I guess there's no cost savings to be had getting a minitower or whatever. Times have changed, I guess the demand's all in small pc's you run for a few years and toss now..

-thanks

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
hardware that's *not* quiet or small?0