Win GitHub for N00bs
- Updated with how to squash commits
Every post I read from you impresses me more and more.
Added some info to the first post on "Amend to last Commit" feature in tortoise Git.

Very useful to quickly squash a number of commits.
Thanks for a descriptive post. I am noob in Git hub. Thanks for the post. Smile
I only started learning about github a couple weeks ago, and I am trying to use it for my own personal repository. I have all my files added, and I am able to update the repo. My issue I can't seem to get Kodi to recognize the zip file that is stored in the repo, and I believe I have everything set up properly according to the tutorials I have read.

Do you have any documentation for using github with Kodi?
Updated the second post with complete guide to submitting a PR to Kodi

http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=...pid1374040
(2013-03-22, 12:23)zag Wrote: 6) Call the branch the name of the feature you are creating. Make sure you click the "Switch to Branch" check box. Also make sure its based on the HEAD (Master ) branch

Hrm, I'm always using the kodi remote/master as a base. I thought HEAD (Master ) would be my master branch, which will be quiet old and bad to rebase/test etc?
Can anyone correct me?
it's just a name. it could be "origin / master" or " whateveriliketocallit / master"

HEAD means latest commit at that moment. So at the time of pulling "HEAD" becomes "remote" as a name. Once you rebase you do this to the HEAD of "remote".
Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting, read this first
Interested in seeing some YouTube videos about Kodi? Go here and subscribe
(2015-07-16, 09:08)Martijn Wrote: it's just a name. it could be "origin / master" or " whateveriliketocallit / master"

HEAD means latest commit at that moment. So at the time of pulling "HEAD" becomes "remote" as a name. Once you rebase you do this to the HEAD of "remote".

HEAD means latest commit at that moment in your current branch.
So wouldn't it be wiser to create your branch with the newest version of master that you can get? (AKA not the one in your private repo)
HEAD can also mean some one else his branch.
Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting, read this first
Interested in seeing some YouTube videos about Kodi? Go here and subscribe
(2015-07-16, 09:31)Martijn Wrote: HEAD can also mean some one else his branch.

It might, but in the case of TortoiseGIT and the window above, it shows HEAD(name of the current checkedout branch)
So you will end up with that one, not with a fresh fetch from a remote tracking kodi/master
Found this nice introduction to GIT command line today

http://player.oreilly.com/videos/9781771..._id=216382
Just raised my first PR, thanks Zag for this guide. Getting onto the Kodi merry-go-round of changes is rather daunting!!

Perhaps a silly question - I have my fork of the repository, there are other commits happening as we speak, some of which I would like to include in my version of the code because we are looking at similar areas. Is there a way to merge them into my fork, in the hope that they will get merged into master before my work does? Do I just cut and paste them in? Or should I stay well away from areas other are changing?
(2015-08-30, 19:29)DaveBlake Wrote: Just raised my first PR, thanks Zag for this guide. Getting onto the Kodi merry-go-round of changes is rather daunting!!

Perhaps a silly question - I have my fork of the repository, there are other commits happening as we speak, some of which I would like to include in my version of the code because we are looking at similar areas. Is there a way to merge them into my fork, in the hope that they will get merged into master before my work does? Do I just cut and paste them in? Or should I stay well away from areas other are changing?

Well if your PR is against master (or Jenkins in this case) and the commits your speaking of are in master, just rebase master into your branch.
This might even be needed, as they could potentially conflict with your changes and make the PR unmergeable as long as you havent rebased.
Thanks Razze, I can see that I need to keep up with master as best I can, but what about other pull requests that have not yet been merged?

To be specific there are a few of us looking at music library changes - yourself, evilhamster and now me. I hope and expect your PR commits will be merged, meanwhile my changes (improvements for classical music) are going to take me longer to complete let alone get them accepted. Not sure how best to hit a moving target? I have cut and pasted some changes into my code, but wondered if there was a way to merge selected PRs into my WIP repository? How can we best work together?

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
GitHub for N00bs1