Is the Apple TV 2 suitable for streaming XBMC add-ons?
I have been using the ATV1 for years with Boxee for local content but I'm looking to upgrade to take advantage of streaming add-ons with XBMC. The Apple TV 2 seems to be the most popular set top box, but is it capable of streaming? The ATV1 is completely incapable of streaming and I've simply been using it as a local content player.

If the ATV2 is not suitable for streaming, is there an off the shelf device or HTPC for less than $300 that can stream
One, all three add-ons you mentioned are against forum rules for support/discussion. Two, ATV1 (wiki) + BCHD (wiki) blows the ATV2 out of the water.
So would adding a BCHD would beef up my Apple TV1 to handle streaming?

Years ago I've tried to use Boxee's old aggregated selection of streaming content and ATV1 just could not handle it.
Yes. It gives it brand new life :)

My ATV1 + BCHD + a linux OS (I'm currently using Crystalbuntu (wiki), but OpenELEC (wiki) is very excellent as well) is my most used HTPC right now. You can get the Broadcom Crystal HD BCM970015 (go for the 15 one, not the one that ends in 12) sells for about $25 on ebay. If you already have an ATV1, I highly highly recommend it.

You do lose wifi (since that's where the BCHD slips in) but you can use USB wifi. OpenELEC is pretty easy to set up USB wifi on.
Awesome! I'm excited to try it instead of overpaying $200 for an ATV2!

Do you prefer to run Crystalbuntu from a USB drive or from the internal drive?
Internal. One less USB device sticking out.
(2013-03-25, 20:34)Ned Scott Wrote: One, all three add-ons you mentioned are against forum rules for support/discussion. Two, ATV1 (wiki) + BCHD (wiki) blows the ATV2 out of the water.

May I know what are the three add-ons that are against the forum rules ? Just so I don't list them on other post, maybe privately?
They're in the title of this post: http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=149712

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Is the Apple TV 2 suitable for streaming XBMC add-ons?0