Is 300Mbps enouth to stream 1080p?
Hi,

I have a Netgear WNR3500L that is set to use 300Mbps this router is connected with CAT5e cable to a Server and there have never been any problems to stream whatever I like to another client that uses CAT5e.

Now I need to stream to a client that I have no cable to. The range is max 10 m and the wifi adapter I use is ASUS USB-N53 in a Zotac ZBox. The problem is that 1080p videos lie Planet Earth is lagging A LOT. When copiern files from the server (Server > CAT5e > Router > Wifi 300Mbps > Client(Windows 8)) tha max speed is 5 MB/s.

So should it be possible to stream 1080p on this or should I simple return the WiFi adapter?
Depends on the bit-rate. I have 1080p videos that go from 400 KB/s up to whatever.

Press "O" when playing your video and you'll see the through put of your samples and can act accordingly.

But I would always suggest to stream via cable if you plan to have 1080...
Always read the XBMC Online Manual,Frequently Asked Questions and search the forum before posting.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting use -> Log file.

Well, 1:1 bluray rips usually peak at around 30Mbit/s. Scene 720p rips are around 5Mbit/s

5MB/s is about 40Mbit/s, so you might be fine. But then again, wifi is not the most reliable format as it is prone to interference (Too many neighbors nearby will negatively affect the wifi signal)

Make sure that the client is lagging due to network speed, not playback performance of the zbox. Try to play the file locally, to make sure the zbox indeed has the chops, or temporarily hook it up via ethernet
I have no problem playing uncompressed 1080p bd iso's over my 300Mbps wireless N setup,
I'm only streaming from one room to the next though, probably only 10 metres too, I had some initial faffing around with my router settings and had to invest in a high gain usb adaptor but all works perfectly now.
I think the change I made to the router settings that made the biggest difference was finding a channel without interferance on it and if memory serves me correctly (its been quite a while since I did it) turning off upnp in the router also helped the speed.
If it helps the usb adaptor I use and can recommend is a TP-Link TL-WN822N, it cost me about £15 from Amazon and works a hell of a lot better than the D-Link Wireless N adaptor I had before.
Thanks, I saw now that the quality of the network is around 100 Mbps and this is about 7-8 meters without walls if now the signal can jump, else there is a wall in the way.

I have set the router to use 300Mbps.

I think I will have to go with cabel even if its not fun to set it up.
(2013-03-25, 19:14)snowjim Wrote: Thanks, I saw now that the quality of the network is around 100 Mbps and this is about 7-8 meters without walls if now the signal can jump, else there is a wall in the way.

I have set the router to use 300Mbps.

I think I will have to go with cabel even if its not fun to set it up.

Ethernet over powerline could be another solution if your wall sockets are on the same bracket. I have one of my htpc setup like that with 0 issues but my second htpc upstairs got lots of lag with that setup. Light on powerline adapter was always red. So i switched to wifi(on board wifi card dual antenna) and now it's rock solid. Note, my router is connected to a wifi bridge via cat6, which is located in the room just below the upstairs living room so I'm getting a solid wifi connection. Try powerline adapter if you don't want to run a long wire. Since it's highly dependent on your electrical setup, you can't really know how it will work for you.

If my replies help you, please click on my reputation Image below :) thanks :)
I tried powerline, worked well for most scene rips, but stuttered with 1:1 rips during certain scenes. I was getting a constant 20-25Mbps.

Then I tried MoCa (Actiontec). It effectively maxes out the 100Mbps connection it has. During a copy over the network, I get up to 80Mbps. (They are advertised to provide up to 175Mbps or in some cases 270Mbps but that is all marketing B.S. Those speeds are theoretical for MoCa, but impossible in a real world scenario due to their ethernet port being 100Mbps max)
You can try this "post #10" too.....

I'm able to playback blu-ray ISO via wireless with the above settings too, but very close range though....

Yes, wire networking is the best for video streaming...
>Alienware X51- do it all HTPC
>Simplify XBMC configurations
>HOW-TO Bitstreaming using XBMC
I refused to watch movie without bitstreaming HD audio!
Bandwidth could also be an issue. From the posts, i can't see anywhere you stated your internet bandwidth. Interference was mentioned, i've worked with many mass internet systems in remote camps, and interference is a big deal. If your neighbors wifi channel is the same as yours and they are both in range of your device, it will cause an issue. It will cause any internet activity to lag; it pretty much confuses the device. A simple way to figure out this issue on a PC is to: go to command prompt, you could do this by going to start menu and simply typing in cmd and pressing enter (windows 7) If it's windows xp go to computer, click run, and type cmd. When you're in cmd, type ipconfig. A gateway will be listed. In command prompt type, "ping 192.168.1.1 -t" do that without quotations, and change the ip address to whatever ipconfig showed you as a gateway. Watch it or a bit, a highspeed ping will be under 100ms on average, if your average is any higher, if you are dropping pings, then that shows you have an issue with your wifi from the computer to the router. Once that test is complete close and reopen command promt or press control+c to stop the ping. and type "ping 8.8.8.8 -t" without quotations. That will ping google, which will test your outside connection. You could do a speed test of your network by going to www.speedtest.net . I would recommend hooking your computer/device direct to the modem to do this test, because it will vary if other devices are using the internet. Speedtest will show you a ping, download rate, and upload rate. Ping and download are the most important for streaming. Your download shows your internet capacity, and your ping shows you how fast it can push it. If your not clear do some research on bandwidth, wireless signal interferance, wifi snr ratios, and command prompt/pinging through command prompt. Hope this helps.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Is 300Mbps enouth to stream 1080p?0