CPU & Case
Will the Celeron G1610 handle all audio and 1080p video with no issues? Also would it be powerful enough to handle a skin like aeon nox?

Secondly where can I find a nice small case? The fractal node 304 is really nice but its so expensive. Even a smaller case would be nice. The cheaper I can get something built the better.
Before suggesting a case... besides the CPU and motherboard, what else do you need in your case?

Optical drive?
3.5" hard drive?
Just an SSD?
Any add-on cards (tuner, wifi, etc.?)

The G1610 will not handle 3D if that's something you want. Otherwise, it's fine for HD audio/1080p.
(2013-03-25, 22:21)Dougie Fresh Wrote: Before suggesting a case... besides the CPU and motherboard, what else do you need in your case?

Optical drive?
3.5" hard drive?
Just an SSD?
Any add-on cards (tuner, wifi, etc.?)

The G1610 will not handle 3D if that's something you want. Otherwise, it's fine for HD audio/1080p.
I have a spare 3.5" drive but if it wont fit in a case due to being too big an ssd will be fine. No optical drive. Possibly a wifi card but not likely. Depending on the dimensions of the case will depend where I move my main HTPC/Server box.
If you can use an SSD or 2.5" HDD, this is a nice HTPC case, especially for Intel IvyBridge builds. An 84W AC adapter would be plenty for such a build.

A few folks here have built XBMC HTPCs in these boxes.
(2013-03-26, 17:38)Dougie Fresh Wrote: If you can use an SSD or 2.5" HDD, this is a nice HTPC case, especially for Intel IvyBridge builds. An 84W AC adapter would be plenty for such a build.

A few folks here have built XBMC HTPCs in these boxes.

The problem is that case is over 120 dollars. That will cost more than the cpu, mb and ram. or just about the same Sad.
In that case (get it, case?) here's the standard bearer for cheap but decent case that comes with a PSU.

Apex MI-008
add Celeron 1610, B75 mini-ITX motherboard, throw in your 3.5" you already have and you're good to go...

I figured you mentioned Fractal because you wanted something of that quality. The E-i5 does come with a PSU so factor that against other cases.
(2013-03-26, 20:00)Dougie Fresh Wrote: In that case (get it, case?) here's the standard bearer for cheap but decent case that comes with a PSU.

Apex MI-008
add Celeron 1610, B75 mini-ITX motherboard, throw in your 3.5" you already have and you're good to go...

I figured you mentioned Fractal because you wanted something of that quality. The E-i5 does come with a PSU so factor that against other cases.

Thanks, that case is ok I guess. I mentioned the fractal case just because its a really nice case and a small form. I dont want an ugly case Smile

Thanks for that link.

I am debating this one. although it is a bit large.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.as...6811163174
It's a popular case. It has a plastic front fascia and it still need a power supply.
Why not go with something like an intel NUC? You could probably get the Celeron NUC + RAM + SDD for under $300. It would play 2D 1080p and handle Aeon nox.

One thing to remember here is you get what you pay for. If you want small and sexy it's going to cost you. If you want cheap but functional it may not be the smallest/best looking setup.
HTPC: Win 7 Home 64-bit | MB | CPU | GPU | RAM | Case | PSU | Tuner | HDDs: OS, Media | DVD Burner | Remote
Media server: unraid 4.7 | CPU | MB | RAM | Case | PSU | HDDs: Parity-2TB, Data-2x2TB
(2013-03-27, 21:31)wsume99 Wrote: Why not go with something like an intel NUC? You could probably get the Celeron NUC + RAM + SDD for under $300. It would play 2D 1080p and handle Aeon nox.

One thing to remember here is you get what you pay for. If you want small and sexy it's going to cost you. If you want cheap but functional it may not be the smallest/best looking setup.
I just did a google search for intel NUC. it seems they are about 300 without ram and a HDD. Thats pretty pricey.
The i3 NUC is $300 but the celeron NUC - which can handle what you are wanting to do - is currently $165 at Newegg. Throw in some RAM, a 32GB mSATA SSD along with openelec and around $250 for a fully functional HTPC. If you want to run windows then bump up the SSD to 64GB and you should still be under $300.
HTPC: Win 7 Home 64-bit | MB | CPU | GPU | RAM | Case | PSU | Tuner | HDDs: OS, Media | DVD Burner | Remote
Media server: unraid 4.7 | CPU | MB | RAM | Case | PSU | HDDs: Parity-2TB, Data-2x2TB
(2013-03-28, 19:25)wsume99 Wrote: The i3 NUC is $300 but the celeron NUC - which can handle what you are wanting to do - is currently $165 at Newegg. Throw in some RAM, a 32GB mSATA SSD along with openelec and around $250 for a fully functional HTPC. If you want to run windows then bump up the SSD to 64GB and you should still be under $300.

you sure that celeron will run everything from XBMC flawless minus 3d? Its going in a bedroom so it will not be on a receiver for DTS etc.
OpenELEC runs on the Celeron 847 like a dream, according to the experience of many here.
(2013-03-28, 20:29)Dougie Fresh Wrote: OpenELEC runs on the Celeron 847 like a dream, according to the experience of many here.

Hmm i would prefer to run windows. anything about it running windows 8? I was thinking windows 8 with 4gb of ram and a 32gb mssd.
WIndows 8 + Frodo is reported to work well.

Window 7 + XBMC didn't work well with the internal player.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
CPU & Case0