Power button behavior
Hi. I'm running XBMC 12 Final on Windows 7 on a Zotac ID61 box and everything works fine. Most of the buttons on the Zotac remote worked right out of the box. The power button on the remote puts my system to sleep (suspend) instead of shutting it off completely. Normally this would be fine, but after sleeping and coming out of suspend mode a few times XBMC tends to lock up or become unresponsive. I have to physically cycle the box to get things going again. That or I have to remotely connect to the box and kill the XBMC process. Anyway, can anyone tell me how I can change the power button behavior so it will shut down my Windows 7 machine instead of going into suspend mode?

Thank you in advance for any help.
Hi. I'm running XBMC 12 Final on Windows 7 on a Zotac ID61 box and everything works fine. Most of the buttons on the Zotac remote worked right out of the box. The power button on the remote puts my system to sleep (suspend) instead of shutting it off completely. Normally this would be fine, but after sleeping and coming out of suspend mode a few times XBMC tends to lock up or become unresponsive. I have to physically cycle the box to get things going again. That or I have to remotely connect to the box and kill the XBMC process. Anyway, can anyone tell me how I can change the power button behavior so it will shut down my Windows 7 machine instead of going into suspend mode?

(2013-03-28, 05:33)umbala Wrote: Hi. I'm running XBMC 12 Final on Windows 7 on a Zotac ID61 box and everything works fine. Most of the buttons on the Zotac remote worked right out of the box. The power button on the remote puts my system to sleep (suspend) instead of shutting it off completely. Normally this would be fine, but after sleeping and coming out of suspend mode a few times XBMC tends to lock up or become unresponsive. I have to physically cycle the box to get things going again. That or I have to remotely connect to the box and kill the XBMC process. Anyway, can anyone tell me how I can change the power button behavior so it will shut down my Windows 7 machine instead of going into suspend mode?

I have the same issue. I would love to know how I can fix this too!
  • Be sure System/Settings > System > Power saving > Shutdown function is set to "Shutdown" instead of "Suspend". If this setting is already "Shutdown", then try the next step.
  • Check your debug log (wiki) after pressing the Power button to suspend the system and then wake it from sleep. See what key press was identified by XBMC when you pressed the Power button and what function was invokied as a result of that key press. Depending on your findings, you may be able to remap that button.
Is it MCE remote? If so you can easily change the power button behaviour.
I think this is the 4th time I've posted this response today, but here goes...

Can you try using XBMCLauncher to close XBMC on suspend and reopen it upon wake? This solves 95% of "sleep issues" with XBMC. The other 5% are usually driver issues.

Even better is the ability for XBMCLauncher to use XBMC as the Windows Shell (for dedicated HTPC only), so you don't have the overhead of running "Explorer.exe" behind the scenes, and it makes for a much more complete HTPC experience.
Thanks for the suggestion, XBMCLauncher seems to work fine for the most part. It's not a perfect solution, but it's definitely a good way to get around the problem.
I meant to post my thanks awhile back. I did what jhhoffma said and I have no more issues. Thanks for the tip mate.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Power button behavior0