WASAPI sound issue
I have connected my receiver with HDMI. I only have sound with Directsound and not with WASAPI when I set the audio output in XBMC to HDMI.
But I have sound with Directsound and WASAPI when I change the ouput from HDMI to Optical/coax. But I haven't connected my receiver optical and I can't select DTS-HD.
Why I have no sound with WASAPI when I set HDMI as output?
Refer to the sticky http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=146911 for things to check
(2013-03-29, 16:54)jjd-uk Wrote: Refer to the sticky http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=146911 for things to check

I have already checked this, but it isn't solved.
I have an ADM platform and I don't use the Realtek audio drivers. I have the driver from AMD.
The 2 options are ticked for exclusive mode.
And I don't use an old guisettings.xml.
Have you checked what Supported Formats says in Windows?
(2013-03-29, 17:18)Bombaij Wrote: I have an ADM platform and I don't use the Realtek audio drivers. I have the driver from AMD.
For AMD, have you done exactly as this "post #6"?
>Alienware X51- do it all HTPC
>Simplify XBMC configurations
>HOW-TO Bitstreaming using XBMC
I refused to watch movie without bitstreaming HD audio!
I followed all steps, but I don't get sound with WASAPI. In windows sound manager I have the same 2 outputs. There is one output to my tv that don't work and one output to my tv that works, but not with WASAPI. In AMD Vision engine control center I can't select my tv as standard device, but only spdif. So I think this is an driver issue. Anybody suggestions?
How is your HTPC connected to HDTV? Is there an AVR in between HTPC and HDTV?
>Alienware X51- do it all HTPC
>Simplify XBMC configurations
>HOW-TO Bitstreaming using XBMC
I refused to watch movie without bitstreaming HD audio!
(2013-04-02, 05:57)bluray Wrote: How is your HTPC connected to HDTV? Is there an AVR in between HTPC and HDTV?
First I had connected my tv with HDMI and connected my AVR from my tv with SPDIF, because my tv support hdmi arc. I read on this forum that with this setup I can get issues.
I have now connected my HTPC to my HDTV with HDMI directly, there is nothing in between. I have connected my HTPC to my AVR with SPDIF, because my AVR don't has an HDMI input.
My tv support dolby digital, so I have only selected dolby digital as supported format in xbmc.
I get sound with WASPAI on my AVR now when I set the audio output to SPDIF, but I don't want always use my AVR.
Although your TV supports Dolby Digital it's more than likely that is only from terrestrial or satellite broadcasts from whatever tuners it has, very few TV's will allow Dolby Digital from an external source connected to the HDMI to be passed through to the SPDIF out, that's probably why you had no sound initially.

Unfortunately there is no simply solution for what you want to do as SPDIF to AVR and HDMI to TV will require different settings for sound if you want the choice of DD5.1, therefore your choices are:

1. Route sound direct to AVR via SPDIF and always use AVR for DD5.1 sound (Select SPDIF 5.1 in XBMC)
2. Route sound via HDMI to TV and then via SPDIF to AVR but then you'll always be limited to stereo 2.0 sound (Select Analog 2.0 in XBMC)
3. Change XBMC settings manually so you either route sound direct to AVR via SPDIF, or via HDMI to TV and then via SPDIF to AVR (Switch between SPDIF 5.1 & Analog 2.0)
4. Use Profiles to configure a TV Profile and a AVR Profile so you can switch between settings as in 3. but without having to do it manually each time (Switch between SPDIF 5.1 & Analog 2.0)
Thanks for your reply, but I have already get sound with WASAPI dolby digital to my tv. I don't know why it works now without change any setting.
The only issue now is that he don't play GUI sounds. I browse now silently through the menus. Does anybody know why sound output during music and videos work, but no GUI sounds?
Perhaps a daft question, but have you got GUI sounds enabled? double check to make sure in the course of adjusting things you haven't disabled them.
(2013-04-02, 14:05)jjd-uk Wrote: Perhaps a daft question, but have you got GUI sounds enabled? double check to make sure in the course of adjusting things you haven't disabled them.

Yes, I have enabled "only when playback stopped". I have also tried to enable "always", but it doesn't work. GUI sounds work in Directsound mode, but not in WASAPI mode when the output is HDMI.
Towards the bottom there are two settings:

Audio output device

Passthrough output device

Do you have both set to HDMI?
(2013-04-02, 14:56)jjd-uk Wrote: Towards the bottom there are two settings:

Audio output device

Passthrough output device

Do you have both set to HDMI?
Both WASAPI: HDMI.
I have changed the audio output device to DIRECTSOUND: HDMI and I hear the GUI sounds now.
XBMC use the passthrough output device for the checked supported formats (Dolby digital, DTS). Am I right?
So it doesn't really matter when I set only the passthrough device to WASAPI, because xbmc use this almost every time during movie playback?
The "Audio output device" is for LPCM audio whether from music files or audio that is decoded from a passthrough format such as DTS (only if the relevent "capable receiver" option is not selected), so it's sounds like WASAPI has a problem with certain types of LPCM.

So yes it's fine having that sent to Directsound unless you're an music audiophile after bit for bit reporduction, movies with DTS or whatever will use the Passthrough device.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
WASAPI sound issue0